Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Steel bullets (Read 7875 times)
Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Steel bullets
Reply #30 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 10:19am

Yes, that is why I had to try several different fonts (typefaces).  Courier had the "best" appearance (closest to how I am used to seeing that character).
(edit, later)... at least in Firefox.  I just noticed that it appears different in Micro$oft Internet Explorer

But enough of this.  End of hijack!  This topic is about using steel ball bearings for sling ammo.  I have found that mouse balls work well, but there are several sizes.  You want mouse balls that are 7/8 inch in diameter (many are smaller) with a steel core.  I got a bunch of them from a local electronics junk shop, for $0.25 each and the time it took to go through a huge box of mice and remove the balls I wanted.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2007 at 3:33am by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #31 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 12:26pm

Kelthen,
A Euro is about $1.30 at the moment.

If you want to know the value of any of the currencies mentioned here, just google and see how many currency convertors you can get.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #32 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 3:33pm

mouse balls tell us more such as weight and shell material?

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #33 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 5:05pm

Lobo,
Actually I have two different sizes:
Diameter (inch) Weight (ounce)
7/8 1.2
1 1.8
The 1-inch ball consists of a 7/8 inch steel ball bearing with a 1/16 inch soft rubber coating (I slit the cover on one and measured it).  The smaller ball has about the same resiliency to pressure, so I suspect the coating is also about a sixteenth of an inch which makes the bearing 3/4 inch in diameter.

The rubber coating does not stand up to a lot of abuse, but it's OK as long as you are slinging at soft targets.  I haven't actually used them much, because it is hard to find them again.  They are grey to start with, and the soft rubber coating picks up dirt like a magnet...
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2007 at 8:19pm by Dale »  

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #34 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 6:51pm

my thanks to the ever-helpful willeke.

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #35 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 7:01am

there was a small tribal "duck sling" posted here once, it had a solid pouch made from a curved piece of a stem of bullrush or similar. it used light hand-rolled clay balls. the ball bearings are so light that a similar small sling would have to be made for them.

"Ball Bearings seem to be quite expensive in england."

what isn't?

sv 

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #36 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 8:04pm

Dale thanks for the info. My nephew works in a computer recycle center Ill check this out.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #37 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 2:30pm

I bought this ammo. Now I realise how small 1 cm really is. I guess it is slingable but I need to make a new sling for it. I tried a knot sling (with a very tiny pouch) but that didn't hold the ball securely. I used it as a pendulum and managed to give it monumentum. (Accidently the steel bullet went flying in my flat!) I will cut a pouch out of leather.

The darts have a nice feel. Until now I have only thrown them by hand but I will make a sling for them too.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #38 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 8:11pm

you might hook them together as chain shot

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man)