Steel bullets (Read 7876 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Steel bullets
Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 6:03am

I think those ball bearing are what I buy as .38 calibre. They are intended for slingshots and work extremely well in those - pretty sure they weigh more than 4 grams though tint - somewhere down the line you've got the calculation wrong :-)
But yeah too small for slinging.

Ball Bearings seem to be quite expensive in england.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #16 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 7:27pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 6:03am:
tint - somewhere down the line you've got the calculation wrong Smiley

Shocked?????
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2007 at 2:28am by FunSlinger »  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #17 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 12:02am

Tint cannot have done the calculation wrong, because Tint did not do the calculation.  I did.  I'll recheck the numbers...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #18 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 12:31am

Volume of a sphere is 4/3
π
r3, check.

Diameter of ball bearing 10mm, so radius is 5mm = 0.5 cm, check.

Density of steel, about 8 grams/cm3.  Mild steel is supposed to be 7.7 g/cc, another source has various steels ranging from 7.75 to 8.05.  8 is close enough.

Conversion to Imperial units, 28.3495231 grams per ounce, check.

4/3
π
0.53 x 8 works out to 4.19 grams which is 0.148 ounces.

.38 calibre is 0.38 inches, 2.54 cm per inch makes that 9.652 millimeters which is close enough to 10mm.  You're right about that part, Curious_Aardvark.  But they are just a bit over 4 grams each.

Of course, if I had a few of those ball bearings I guess I could have just weighed them...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #19 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 4:12am

Dale wrote on Mar 1st, 2007 at 12:31am:
Diameter of ball bearing 10mm, so radius is 5mm
....Of course, if I had a few of those ball bearings I guess I could have just weighed them...

Yeah, but not as 'elegant'Wink.

FWIW I think it's easier to see the result by calculating with the diameter. Then you're interested in the volume of the sphere which just fits inside the cube. Volume of the sphere is a little over half (pi/6) of the volume of the cube.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #20 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 10:59am

I do not think there is any feeling in the world, like that of realizing there is an easier way to do it ... when you've just spent a lot of "skull sweat" figuring out how to do it the hard way.  FunSlinger, that story is hilarious!

Wanderer, you are right, and thank you for sharing that.  I knew that the area of a circle is roughly three-quarters of the square of the diameter, but I never thought to apply the same idea to the volume of a sphere.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #21 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 11:55am

4/3
π
r3...

Forget calculating the volume of a sphere - who else is impressed that Dale managed to make that formula look so good. Above and beyond. Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #22 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 3:10pm

Hey Dravonk,
I started out using this type of projectile and almost left the hobby of slinging because of it. These particular bearings are just way too light for effective slinging.

Marc Adkins

Dravonk wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 4:50pm:
I wonder whether I should purchase some steel bullets (10 mm diameter) for slingshots and try to sling them
The shop where I found them asks for 1,90 EUR/30 bullets. (6,3 cent per bullet). I guess I would loose quite a lot of them.

Has anyone made experiences with this kind of projectile yet? Is it worth its price?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #23 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 3:11pm

I have to admit this was a concept I hadn't thought of when I started having problems with this type of ammunition.

lobohunter wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 7:42pm:
I my self prefer 35mm ballbearings but with the 10mm maybe try several at once that worked for me with .50 cal lead balls

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #24 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 3:15pm

When I first got back into slinging I was using ball bearing ammuniton and glass marbles ( will have to measure the diameter so we are all talking about the same type)
I was using a small pouched sling about .75M in length ( yep that's folded) ammuniton with glass marbles and steel were just too light for what I was trying to do. And if it wasn't there was no real way to determine what sort of range you were getting out of each particular cast. once I moved to landscaping marble stones and river rock my slinging became a whole lot better. more weight and I could somewhat track the rock in flight

Hope this helps

Marc Adkins

Willeke wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 5:11pm:
10mm is small.
Wouldn't you be able to get the same size marbles for much less?
Or a bigger size marbles for the same price?

If you go for ammo this small, think about what kind of sling it would fit in.
It sould have a very small split or better, non, and not being too big in itself.

(But I think that less than 2 euro is always worth a try.)

Willeke

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2007 at 2:05pm by winkleried »  

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 6:44pm

i am way out of it right now. for one i have no idea how much a euro is (im a yank) and all that math makes my brain hurt.

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 8:53pm

now as for lead darts there a subject I like lol http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1095027492/0

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #27 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 10:01pm

Matthias wrote on Mar 1st, 2007 at 11:55am:
4/3
?
r3...

Forget calculating the volume of a sphere - who else is impressed that Dale managed to make that formula look so good. Above and beyond. Smiley

Heck, of course I was impressed! I just thought if I pretended not to notice we'd see what else he could do! Still don't quite see how you did it, Dale.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #28 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 2:02am

I just used the superscript and subscript tags, mostly.  I got the greek lowercase pi by firing up Micro$oft Word and finding the character in its special symbols list, and then pasted that character back here and tried different typefaces until it looked right.

If you want the details, go to my message and click the "Quote" button and look at how it is tagged.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #29 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 3:10am

Dale wrote on Mar 2nd, 2007 at 2:02am:
If you want the details, go to my message and click the "Quote" button and look at how it is tagged.

It was the Greek character that puzzled me - particularly since it seemed to change on me sometimes. Hmm..
- OK. 100 posts Grin Hurray!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)