Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Sling Journey Begins - by Sling (Read 1587 times)
Sling
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

The Sling Journey Begins - by Sling
Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:04pm

Right.. Firstly. I would like to say that I attempted to make a sling, with anything that I had in the house. This was a spur of the moment thing and therefore no preperation was made whatso ever.

My sling is very basic and the material I used as a pouch is quite embarrasing  Embarrassed

But! Because we are on the forums and I am on the internet typing to a global slinging community. There is no need for me to be embarrased.  Cool

Okay, so as I mentioned above, this was a spur of the moment thing.

Today, I woke up 7:00am Sunday 25th Febuary went downstairs to the sowing kit and pulled out two lengths of string. One piece of string was not long enough therefore I had to cope with those two pieces. They are about 5mm long and are both different types of strings. One is white in colour and is I would think a simple cotton piece. The other was black and I'm not too certain on the material.

I needed a pouch... This is the embarrasing part. I had no idea, what to use in my house. And Yes. I am fully aware that when I finish typing this post, many users will come up with loads of great house items that can be used as a pouch. All I can say back to those people are... "DOH!" Grin

I walked back into my room and noticed that there was an eye mask on the floor (used in planes to block out light and helps people go to sleep). Thats right... I used the eyemask as a pouch. I cut the elastic off, and poked two holes on both sides.. using the simple basic guide on this website I knotted it and that was it.

The weather was absolutely appalling and it was pouring till about 4pm. When 4pm struck, I went into my backgarden afraid to go out of my house to try this monstrousity. I peeked left and right to make sure my neighbours werent looking and picked up the nearest most rounded rock and let it fling, aiming for the tree on the other side.

Not bad! Hit about half a metre away from my intended target. I flinged a few more. I was aware that the problems occured in that the pouch was quite big, the rocks I was using were relatively small and not rounded and obviously, because the pouch wasn't a pouch. Tongue Then I picked up this rock, this sounds silly but it felt special. It was nice in size, and was relatively rounded for a rock. I had this instant feeling that I would hit.

Swing. Swing. Waduoop! It had hit.. Woopee!!!! I was impressed. However, I miss that rock  Cry. I went looking for it, but it was nowhere to be seen.

This was just an experiment and thanks to aussieslinger I will soon get a pouch worthy of trying.

Okay. I think I am ready for the comments to come.. Don't laugh too hard, okay?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: The Sling Journey Begins - by Sling
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 5:14pm

Welcome to the beauties of the Sling! Keep up the good work and you might teach one of us something.
On the missing rock two things could have happened. It could have buried itself in theground. The other is it could have broken up. I am having problems witht he latter according to my father who walks on the pasture that I use for my primary slinging area. he's been finding lately a bunch of broken rocks in a grassland pasture. Ok there's one more possibility..it landed andyou haven't found it yet Smiley

Marc Adkins

Sling wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:04pm:
Right.. Firstly. I would like to say that I attempted to make a sling, with anything that I had in the house. This was a spur of the moment thing and therefore no preperation was made whatso ever.

My sling is very basic and the material I used as a pouch is quite embarrasing  Embarrassed

But! Because we are on the forums and I am on the internet typing to a global slinging community. There is no need for me to be embarrased.  Cool

Okay, so as I mentioned above, this was a spur of the moment thing.

Today, I woke up 7:00am Sunday 25th Febuary went downstairs to the sowing kit and pulled out two lengths of string. One piece of string was not long enough therefore I had to cope with those two pieces. They are about 5mm long and are both different types of strings. One is white in colour and is I would think a simple cotton piece. The other was black and I'm not too certain on the material.

I needed a pouch... This is the embarrasing part. I had no idea, what to use in my house. And Yes. I am fully aware that when I finish typing this post, many users will come up with loads of great house items that can be used as a pouch. All I can say back to those people are... "DOH!" Grin

I walked back into my room and noticed that there was an eye mask on the floor (used in planes to block out light and helps people go to sleep). Thats right... I used the eyemask as a pouch. I cut the elastic off, and poked two holes on both sides.. using the simple basic guide on this website I knotted it and that was it.

The weather was absolutely appalling and it was pouring till about 4pm. When 4pm struck, I went into my backgarden afraid to go out of my house to try this monstrousity. I peeked left and right to make sure my neighbours werent looking and picked up the nearest most rounded rock and let it fling, aiming for the tree on the other side.

Not bad! Hit about half a metre away from my intended target. I flinged a few more. I was aware that the problems occured in that the pouch was quite big, the rocks I was using were relatively small and not rounded and obviously, because the pouch wasn't a pouch. Tongue Then I picked up this rock, this sounds silly but it felt special. It was nice in size, and was relatively rounded for a rock. I had this instant feeling that I would hit.

Swing. Swing. Waduoop! It had hit.. Woopee!!!! I was impressed. However, I miss that rock  Cry. I went looking for it, but it was nowhere to be seen.

This was just an experiment and thanks to aussieslinger I will soon get a pouch worthy of trying.

Okay. I think I am ready for the comments to come.. Don't laugh too hard, okay?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Sling
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 5:37pm

Lol now I am attempting a duck tape pouch with Curious Aardvark.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 8:32pm

#1 If you don't see your rock land, cover your head!! Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 8:34pm

#2 If you hear breaking glass or a scream, hide your sling.... quickly!! Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 5:42pm

bigkahuna wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 8:34pm:
#2 If you hear breaking glass or a scream, hide your sling.... quickly!! Shocked

i would like to add RUN to that Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 3:34am

Your pouch is on its way.

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Sling
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 11:10am

Ty AussieSlinger,

I got the sling yesturday, its great! Thanks alot. Question though, what are those two strips that you used? I know they are leather yet were they cut yourself or do those pieces actually serve a purpose that you just improvised on?

Also when I got the letter, the words "English Slinger" definately gave me a laugh.

Anyways, I tried it out with a tennis ball and it flew like a bird. Though the only thing I think needs major improving might be my accuracy and I need to develop a feel for it cause slinging a lighter object feels awkward.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 11:36am

ther are not leather - it's conveyor belt material :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 1:41am

Quote:
I know they are leather yet were they cut yourself or do those pieces actually serve a purpose that you just improvised on?

Also when I got the letter, the words "English Slinger" definately gave me a laugh.

Anyways, I tried it out with a tennis ball and it flew like a bird. Though the only thing I think needs major improving might be my accuracy and I need to develop a feel for it cause slinging a lighter object feels awkward.

As Curious Aardvark said they are old conveyor belting and I assume you just missed typing "not" before leather. (Pretty strange leather.) The width is as it comes off the machine, I only cut to length and glue. I have actually made a pouch like that from an old welder's glove but gave it away before trying it out. Leather pouches "give" a little bit and will form a nice natural cup whereas this material has virtually no give at all hence the cupping has to be inherent in the design.

As for addressing the envelpoe "English Slinger", I don't know your name and it feels odd addressing an envelope with only a single word or no name at all.

I agree regarding tennis balls being too light. They actually are fairly poor slinging ammunition because of this and also the furry surface creates extra drag; but they are safe, consistent and readily available. You might try cutting a small hole in one and filling it up with rice, sawdust or something similar and then glueing it shut. That gives it a lot more mass and it flies much better. However it wll no longer bounce much and if you throw against a brick wall it will disintegrate very rapidly.

Aussieslnger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)