Send Topic Print
Years of slinging (Read 2327 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Years of slinging
Feb 24th, 2007 at 11:23pm

I just realise that I have been slinging for more than 12 years now.  And the fascination is still going strong.  I wonder what is it that keeps me interested?  Is it the almost super-power-like ability to shoot rocks at leathal speed?  The forever out-of-reach dream of being able to accurately shoot with that power?  or is it the coolness of being good at a mysterious yet historically significant art? Huh

Probably a combination of all those and more.

Recently I showed my slinging to my Kung Fu sifu.  And he said "You have got real good Kung Fu right there."  Coming from him, it means alot.  Kung Fu to him is a serach for ones' soul.  A medium to enlightenment.  May be that's what slinging is to me.

Still love to sling, I have an unreasonable desire to get better at it.  I am a long way from mastering it, yet I am willing to keep trying.  It is self-taught in my case and so it is something I call my own.

and it is cool. Cool

I think it will remain so for the rest of my days.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Re: Years of slinging
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 12:22am

That is exactly how I feel. Slinging has a very spiritual feel to it. The way you described it is the way I have felt about it for years.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 1:06am

Love it too!!  

When you see a ball sailing into the distance, hit the target dead on, or shatter a stone against a concrete wall it just feels good all over! You can feel the power in your stomach muscles as you pivot on your front foot in the follow through and hear the swish of the release cord. Sometimes when I get a bit used to the speed of the ball coming out of the sling I throw it a couple of times by hand for comparison. It barely seems to get to the wall.

The sling is a force magnifier. It lets you do superhuman things.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:52am

Hey, give him a break, Funslinger  Roll Eyes.

Tint wrote on Feb 24th, 2007 at 11:23pm:
I am a long way from mastering it

There's his humility. Tint's been slinging for 12 years - he has a right to boast.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 6:36am

hell I've been breathing for nearly forty years - you don't hear me boasting how good at it I am lol

but seriously, good on yer mate. Keep it up - So when you visit us novices in europe I figure we'll have to name you Sling ambassador extraordinaire :-)
[i](where'd those ferroro rocher go ?)[/i]

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:43am

12 years, woow Grin
I wish you more lucky slinging years Wink

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:14am

Sorry guys, didn't mean to sound full of myself. Embarrassed

It's been a long day at work and I was just typing away without much thoughts.

Australia was great fun.  I'll post some pictures soon.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:46am

well tint, i think they are just fooling around with you. you do sling for 12 years, after all.
you do have a really powerfull throw (judging from videos), and you admit that you don't have a perfect aim. you claim that you are good with a sling? hmm, just how can someone deny you that? (without your videos your words would have significantly less weight, but this way i agree with you, because i've seen you slinging, even tough not in person).

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:46am

Oh the Humility !

Look at it this way mate - false modesty is much worse than being proud of what you can do :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:03pm

tint
that sinking plastic bag will be a good memory for your whole life. after 3 years i'm just startng to get the hang of it. my archery gear is gathering dust, and shotgun and air rifles are long gone.      
we don't always send it where we want, nbut it always goes where we send it.
sv

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:30pm

I've just been thinking about the slinging I've done.

Slinging really has something odd about it that makes it so enjoyable.  It's stess relieving, and just neat to pause and watch a stone drift away.

I've been slinging for a little more than one and a half years now (Thanks to Slinging.org).  I unfortunately don't frequently have an opportunity to safely sling for range (I also sometimes forget my sling when I otherwise would be able to Embarrassed).  I just recently had a chance to really go for long distance, for the first time in a while.  I must have forgotten how amazing the range of a sling can be, because my first throw really blew me away!  I do not have very spectacular range, especially not compared to Tint or Jurek, but it still shocked me.  As I said in an earlier post, I am terrible at judging distance, but I know that my range has almost doubled since about a half year ago (I could tell based on land marks).  I guess my form has improved since then, or maybe it was something else.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic.

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)