Send Topic Print
Hey From UK ( Eng) (Read 3806 times)
Sling
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hey From UK ( Eng)
Feb 24th, 2007 at 4:38pm

Hey,

Anyways, Im quite fascinated about slings, when I have read many books ( im into fantasy stories) quite often depending on some of the books it mentions the sling as a weapon. It talks about its accuracy and power, aswell as its simplicity.

I started looking it up on the internet because I was never sure how a sling was made, what it looked like and most importantly how it worked. I found this site and hopefully I could start maybe trying slinging out. I am quite athletic and I have fantastic hand to eye co-ordination.

And Wow! Was I amazed that so many people were already established here..

This is a great site and hopefully I can get started soon. Cheesy

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Hey From UK ( Eng)
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 6:05pm

Hi Sling,

Welcome to slinging.org. This is really a great site. You will love it!

I have replied to your post in Trading Post but once again send me your postal address by PM, whch I will keep confidential.

You will undoubtedly be welcomed by your compatriot Curious Aardvark, whose address lies within the UK. I cannot be more specific as I am honour bound by the sacred oath of Slinging.org. If I break this I must perform the Patagonian contra rotational style and then hang myself with my own sling, which will be less painful.

Seriously if you are young and athletic there are styles which will enable you throw 200+ metres with relative ease.

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 6:06pm

Hi Sling, and welcome!
Sounds like you've come across slinging in a similar way to me. I hope you learn it faster!
I certainly haven't been able to sling over 200 metres with relative ease.  Roll Eyes Yet.

PS, I like your name. Sling.  Cheesy

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 9:26pm

Hi Sling! Nice to have you join us. We have a tremendous amount of info and fun stuff here so take your time and look around. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 10:54pm

Did you read "Clan of the Cave Bear" and/or "The Magician"?   Those books and the movie "King David" are the ones that got me started.

Welcome!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 12:46am

Hi Again,

Let me rephrase myself as I might have got carried away with my enthusiasm. When I say that you will throw 200m with "ease", I mean that it should certainly be within your capability given 1. right sling 2. right projectile 3. right technique. My pouch, tennis balls and my own slinging technique are none of these. However even Michael Schumacher didn't start driving formula 1. so be patient. My sling is the "pickup truck" of slings, designed to get the job done, not perform on the race track. However an old fart like me with an arthritic elbow can do 100-120m with a golf ball using Greek style so you should do much better. Slinging requires excellent timing rather than just brute force, which you say is your strength.

I was going to recommend you get in touch with Tint. He is young, fit and a bloody good slinger. But I see he has already introduced himself which is not surprising as he is very helpful too.

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:29am

Yep, force can do nothing here, all my overpowered throws went straight down or totally other direction than intended (some straight up when used undrehand for first few times Roll Eyes)
It's all about grace and speed, if you throw with grace, it (sling together with projetile) will keep constant accelleration, and great speed at the release moment will give you distance
IMHO ballet dancers and martial artists would make best slingers Wink

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 5:25am

Welcome Sling.  (Can you believe no one's grabbed that name before now? Cheesy)

There's quite a few british slingers hanging around here. Hope you find somewhere you can sling without wiping out the local population Wink.

I'd second what's been said by JustKnot and others.. I find slinging so satisfying because there is much more to it than strength, it is far more about technique. When you first catch that throw 'just right' it leaves a deep impression, sometimes in more senses than one Grin.

Good luck - if you havn't already, look at Tint's video to see what 12 years of practice can do!

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 6:11am

Aussie wrote on Feb 24th, 2007 at 6:05pm:
If I break this I must perform the Patagonian contra rotational style and then hang myself with my own sling, which will be less painful.

Oh, there is a way to interpret your instructions on the Pataconrot-style without hurting yourself. You can release "between your legs" with an underhand cast (left-hand is powerless when I do it) while lifting your left leg to the left. The only trouble is the sling will wrap itself around your leg when doing so.
(Note: try it with an unloaded sling! If anything goes wrong you might else share the fate of the tribes who developed this style Wink)

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:49am

welcome to this forum, happy slinging in teh UK Grin

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 12:03pm

Dravonk wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 6:11am:
Aussie wrote on Feb 24th, 2007 at 6:05pm:
If I break this I must perform the Patagonian contra rotational style and then hang myself with my own sling, which will be less painful.

Oh, there is a way to interpret your instructions on the Pataconrot-style without hurting yourself. You can release "between your legs" with an underhand cast (left-hand is powerless when I do it) while lifting your left leg to the left. The only trouble is the sling will wrap itself around your leg when doing so.
(Note: try it with an unloaded sling! If anything goes wrong you might else share the fate of the tribes who developed this style Wink)

Hey, Dravonk. Since you're in the Northern Hemisphere (probably?!) you can (indeed must) use you right hand to emulate the Patagonian style - practice it while looking in a mirror.

Actually this Patagonian method sounds like a blatant ripoff of a slinging technique used by a now extinct Sami tribe to hunt Polar Bears and Siberian Tigers. There were many reasons they became extinct Cheesy.

IP Logged

Sling
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 3:35pm

Wow thankyou to all your comments.

Firstly. YES! I was amazed that no one has actually taken my username! I was absolutely gobsmacked. Also before I got the reply from aussieslinger. I made an attempt to make a sling using the information from this site. I will post this in another section so that this topic doesnt get flooded.

Also Wanderer I will try hard not to wipe out the population. Tongue But maybe, wiping a bit of it out would be a good thing because overcrowding of this poor planet has lead to Global Warming.   Grin HAhahaha.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 3:41pm

[quote]I am quite athletic and I have fantastic hand to eye co-ordination.
[/quote]

Good to see there's someone else as modest as I am ;-)

which county you in ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sling
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:08pm

Grin

Cheshire. How bout you?

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:32pm

wanderer wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 12:03pm:
Hey, Dravonk. Since you're in the Northern Hemisphere (probably?!) you can (indeed must) use you right hand to emulate the Patagonian style - practice it while looking in a mirror.

But the pouch of my sling was made in the southern hemisphere and I thought you need the Patagonian style to compensate for the travel from north-to-south or south-to-north.

And no, I will not throw stones at my mirror!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)