Send Topic Print
Parts of a sling (Read 4400 times)
planda
Novicius

Inca Sling

Lima - PERU
Parts of a sling
Feb 22nd, 2007 at 11:59pm

Smiley Hi everyone, thanks for giving me opportunity to share information about slings. I am a conservator-restotator of archaeological objects in Peru. Among the materials with which I work are the slings, in a variety of materials and forms.
I would like to know the names of the parts of the slings, if it is in spanish it would be great. I usually use the words: handle and mouth for a description but I am not pleased with them  Sad ; there must be special words to call them and I want to use the apropiate names.
Thank you very much for your help.
Planda

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Re: Parts of a sling
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 12:11am

I'll get in first here, I think - welcome to the forum planda! Smiley

About your question: I don't know any Spanish, but in English the parts, from left to right below, are a finger or wrist loop (the handle), a retention cord, in the centre the pouch (mouth?) and a release cord on the right.

{}--------------(=)---------------+

Have you got any pictures of those peruvian slings by any chance?  Huh

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 4:54am

Welcome planda!

The items you are working with hold a fascination for many of us, so we hope that you will be able to answer our questions too!

I think that most of the words we use on this forum for parts of the sling are just practically descriptive, rather than terms with a specific association with the sling.

As far as terminology, particularly in Spanish (or Quechua?!) perhaps there is local knowledge of these terms among those who make the slings now?

There is also a spanish scholar, Jesus Vega Hernandez, (=Hondero?) who has contributed to this site in the past. He may know the traditional spanish terms. He has a web site which contains a contact e-mail address.

http://perso.wanadoo.es/hondero/honda.htm

Here is a direct link to his basic introduction to the sling which contains a picture with the (spanish?!) terms:

http://perso.wanadoo.es/hondero/manualbas.htm

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:28am

Welcome Planda.  

I really have nothing to add.  The loop may be finger or wrist and the pouch may be split depending on the design of the sling.

I like your way of calling it the mouth Grin.  

Hope to see you around more!

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2007 at 11:42pm by Tint »  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 11:33am

Planda, Welcome to our forum!  I hope you learn much and share much here.

Wanderer, Thanks for looking up Hondero's web page and his introduction!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 2:35pm

Dale, you're welcome! I'm not attempting to compete with your 'web foraging' abilities Grin.

Planda, I think you've drawn attention to the rather unromantic terms we use. Perhaps there are old terms long forgotten in English as well as other languages?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:10pm

Wanderer: No worries, as AussieSlinger might say. The more good web-foragers we have here, the more likely it is that someone without those skills (or without a fast connection) will get answers when they have questions.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 9:15pm

HOLA planda! Bienvenedos!!  Hope I said that right. Anyway Welcome, nice to have you here.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

planda
Novicius

Inca Sling

Lima - PERU
Re: Parts of a sling- Another use for slings
Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 11:39pm

Smiley Smiley Smiley Thank you very much for your help. Now I can use more accurate terms when describing the slings that I analize and conservate.
I am posting 2 photos (hope to do it correctly, this machines are still a mystery for me) with reference to the subject: Another use for slings.
The first picture is of an Inca mummy bundle, the second one shows parts of the bundle: the outside plant fiber net that covers it and what you are waiting for: it is the upper part of the bundle, where it is closed; and the interesting thing with it is that it is closed (tied) with a sling. In this region of the Inca Empire: Cajamarquilla (east of Lima) men bundles where tied with slings.
As you can see, slings are not only useful in this life but also in the other (if there is one)  Wink.
Hope you find this information interesting.
Planda

PD. I am not being able to post the pictures. This notice appears:
NOTICE: If you had an attachment in your post, you will need to reselect the attachment again in the browse box for security reasons.
I reselect it again, send it, and the notice appears again.
Can you help this poor third world woman Cry Wink with this?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 1:49am

Planda,

Are you always looking at a preview, before you post what you wrote?  I got that notice when I clicked on the "Preview" button before I saved a post, earlier today.  I selected my picture again, and clicked the "Post" button, and it worked.

SEVERAL HOURS LATER ... Look at Willeke's post below, she tells about several alternate methods for getting a picture displayed here.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2007 at 5:12am by Dale »  

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 3:11am

I had a big problem with this a while ago. Are the pictures jpg, jpeg, gif, or png files? That was my problem, in a way; my computer was saying a bitmap picture was a jpg.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 4:40am

Planda,
Welcome, it is nice to see more women here,
If you can place the photo on an other website you can make a link here.
When you use the (img][/img] tags you can get the pictures in the post. Place the URL of the photo in between the tags.
You can send the photo to Chris, click the button 'how to post large files' above to find how to do it.
He will help you with how to post too. And I think that a photo like what you describe should go in the galaries.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 12:56pm

Welcome Planda!

I just wanted to say welcome and add that I have a peruvian sling that I like very, very much.

Itīs interesting that you work with slings in the way you do.

Hope to see those pictures soon!

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 6:43pm

Hola Planda,
Welcome to the list.
would love to see pictures of other Peruvian slings. My mother brought one back that she bought during a recent trip to machu picu. ( I belive that's the correct spelling).
you are on the right list and we would love to hear more about the specimens that you work with.
There is also another section of this web board where the history and ethnic buffs hang out. try looking at the Golith Project portion of the board.

Marc Adkins

planda wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 11:59pm:
Smiley Hi everyone, thanks for giving me opportunity to share information about slings. I am a conservator-restotator of archaeological objects in Peru. Among the materials with which I work are the slings, in a variety of materials and forms.
I would like to know the names of the parts of the slings, if it is in spanish it would be great. I usually use the words: handle and mouth for a description but I am not pleased with them  Sad ; there must be special words to call them and I want to use the apropiate names.
Thank you very much for your help.
Planda

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)