Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 394 395 396 397 398 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2209451 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5925 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 9:37pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 2:59pm:
There's no doubt in my mind his sling is the most stable one I have used. The square braid and the taper ensures that the cords will never twist during spinning and that the sling will open up correctly (haven't had the cords twist around each other after a throw, ever) That's a good thing. But is it worth the trade off of using a sling that requires more energy to use, I don't know.

The whip snap is really cool, and makes using it fun, especially to impress others. Other than that it's not really beneficial to a sling and would betray position but could also be a nuisance to neighbours. I think I prefer a tab. You would never hear where its coming from.

Yes I agree, because it is so thick it resists twisting very well, and is also very predictable as a result. Because it is a sling designed purely for target practice, power isn't really a priority. I would imagine that slings used for war would have been lighter.
The tassel that makes the crack however, does serve a purpose that is more than just entertainment. It exists because it dissipates the energy of the release cord just after the throw. With a sling that heavy it is especially important as there would an uncomfortable amount of "recoil" if it wasn't there.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5926 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 2:14pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:42am by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5927 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 4:00pm

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:42am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5928 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 5:15pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 16th, 2020 at 4:00pm:
Pieces of broken brick, broken roof tiles, anything goes.

This is why I really love staff slings. It really feels like you can chuck in anything and send it flying. Hand slings I feel require that little bit more finesse.

I'm still really surprised staff slings (hand slings as well but particularly staff slings) don't turn up more in riots. They're the perfect weapon for an urban environment in that you can pick up almost anything and impart a serious amount of force to it and then if you can't find anything to throw you still have a big stick.

*DISCLAIMER* I do not mean by my comment that I WANT staff slings or hand slings to be used in any riots/protests! These are weapons of war and can easily kill people and I am against the killing of people.

I just find it strange that these haven't been implemented by people that don't have the same qualms about hurting others that I have.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5929 - Jun 17th, 2020 at 4:59am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:41am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5930 - Jun 17th, 2020 at 5:49am

I just discovered that I could use this sling either as an y-sling, or as a regular sling   Shocked
If I want to use it as an Y-sling, I release both release cords on a throw.
If I want to use it as a normal sling, I only release one of the release cords, while retaining the other. This means the projectile will roll out of the pouch as with a normal sling and get the friction that is needed for rifling.
This means I potentially have a sling here that is both optimized for long distance when releasing only 1 cord, as it can then utilize rifling biconicals, but also easier short distance accuracy if I swap to releasing 2 release cords, which gives the immediate release/bola-like throw Shocked Shocked
This needs more testing

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5931 - Jun 17th, 2020 at 6:09am

-
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:41am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5932 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 12:35am

I enjoy learning about your experimentation, I want to focus on one sling and get good with it, and therefore don't experiment much with sling types. It's really interesting to see all the designs everyone comes up with. Maybe I will once I feel I've mastered my current sling type.  Your accuracy with this sling was impressive.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5933 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 5:47pm

Just arrived from the Netherlands.  Thanks Jauke!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5934 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 2:03am

--
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:38am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Reply #5935 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 2:59pm

This is a 2mm polypropylene six-strand braided sling I made a couple of weeks back. It's my fourth sling I think. Tried to experiment with adding additional strands for the pouch and tapering the release cord with a replaceable snapper. Didn't turn out as nice as I'd like but I'm still happy to have tried. Certainly not nearly as nice as some of the pieces I see posted here
Edit: aimed at a medium length of 70cm folded since I have slings that are too long and too short for me haha ...

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #5936 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 5:09pm

18" sisal 'light' Balearic sling with semi-nylon tassel, and a 200g stone for reference.
Weight with leather: 1.15 oz
I've found this length to be very practical up to 50y with 200g stones (haven't tested max range yet, but is probably about 100y with the same stones).
It's very handy, and probably my new favourite.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #5937 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 5:15pm

Very colourful, good WojtekimbieR! What type of braid did you use for the pouch?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #5938 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 9:25pm

WojtekimbieR wrote on Jun 20th, 2020 at 2:59pm:
This is a 2mm polypropylene six-strand braided sling I made a couple of weeks back. It's my fourth sling I think. Tried to experiment with adding additional strands for the pouch and tapering the release cord with a replaceable snapper. Didn't turn out as nice as I'd like but I'm still happy to have tried. Certainly not nearly as nice as some of the pieces I see posted here

Looks great! It's nicer than any of mine, at least Grin I've never been able to really do much with the end of release cord, myself - How did you do that with yours?

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Reply #5939 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 5:06am

Archaic Arms wrote on Jun 20th, 2020 at 5:15pm:
Very colourful, good WojtekimbieR! What type of braid did you use for the pouch?

Captain_Twine wrote on Jun 20th, 2020 at 9:25pm:
Looks great! It's nicer than any of mine, at least Grin I've never been able to really do much with the end of release cord, myself - How did you do that with yours?

Thanks! For the pouch I used a 6-strand flat braid from the tutorial I followed at T. J. Potter's website www.seekyee.com/Slings/index.htm which, weirdly, no longer seems to work for me. The release knot is a 4-strand crown stopper knot with ends melted flat. I forgot to plan ahead for any reasonable way to attach a removable cracker, so I simply tied that onto the release cord.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 394 395 396 397 398 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)