Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 393 394 395 396 397 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2229539 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5910 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 10:49pm

Morphy wrote on Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:24pm:
I imagine it would. Take all the excess near pouch/ pouch weight from something like a Balearic sling, remove it and instead add it to the stone. Same weight, more kinetic energy down range.

I think so as well, but there is a maximum speed one can swing a sling, and one could hypothetically throw a 100g at the same speed with both slings (just the heavier sling uses more energy). So far it seems to support this as the Luis Balearic sling weighs twice as much as my own Balearic, yet is just slightly behind when throwing 50g projectiles. Therefore, I could perhaps make my Balearic slings slightly thicker and not see a decrease in power for 150g stones, but get the benefit of increased stability.
Just an idea I had.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5911 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 2:42am

If it can't rifle spin a biconical then it's no good use of the biconical shape . you sacrifice external ballistics .
It would be interesting if you could rifle spin a biconical with a y sling.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5912 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 1:26pm

Ich verwende für römische schleuderbleie eine Balearic sling in Miniatur. Vom Design ist eine Balearic sling das beste für gezielte Schüsse. Der schwerpunpunkt liegt nicht mittig. Deshalb drückt sie im Schuß. Es ist gut wenn dieses Design etwas mehr Gewicht hat.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #5913 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 3:08pm

Here are three slings that I made. I have not slung anything other than a paper ball and a squishy ball because of the pandemic, but I think they would work well with stones and tennis balls.
Update: I already tested them with round and smooth stones of different sizes and the last one is my favourite.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2020 at 4:03pm by Tejo »  

cord_split_pouch.jpg (266 KB | 53 )
cord_split_pouch.jpg
Jute_rockman_2.jpg (328 KB | 17 )
Jute_rockman_2.jpg
jute_cupped_pouch.jpg (291 KB | 60 )
jute_cupped_pouch.jpg

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5914 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:24pm

Those are really nice! I've never got any woven pouches to look as clean as these,

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5915 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 5:19pm

Really well done Tejo!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #5916 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 6:42pm

Indeed, that is some good work there!
I particularly like the style of the last one.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #5917 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 7:13pm

Thanks. The last one is my first attempt at a sling of that kind. Next one will be better.

@Kick
Just have a little more patience and you will get better results!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5918 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 9:33pm

@
Tejo

Nice slings!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #5919 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 9:40pm

@walter
Thank you!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5920 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 3:37am

Nice slings folks!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5921 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 9:09am

The last one is also my favorite Tejo
I find that this pouch made with hemp, even small ones, do a substantially good job holding and throwing small and large stones up to 250g, and they are also perfect for lead.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5922 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 9:22am

Archaic Arms wrote on Jun 8th, 2020 at 10:49pm:
I imagine it would. Take all the excess near pouch/ pouch weight from something like a Balearic sling, remove it and instead add it to the stone. Same weight, more kinetic energy down range.

I think so as well, but there is a maximum speed one can swing a sling, and one could hypothetically throw a 100g at the same speed with both slings (just the heavier sling uses more energy). So far it seems to support this as the Luis Balearic sling weighs twice as much as my own Balearic, yet is just slightly behind when throwing 50g projectiles. Therefore, I could perhaps make my Balearic slings slightly thicker and not see a decrease in power for 150g stones, but get the benefit of increased stability.
Just an idea I had.

For 3 days I have slung with Luis balearic sling, inspired by this forum and his video's. I did about 350 shots. It starts to feel really good as one gets used to it. However, the cycle repeats. I get used to the Balearic sling and I get enthusiasstic about it's performance. Then after a few days I use my thinner natural hemp sling. And wow Am I blown away by how much faster  the thin hemp throws and how much easier it is to use.  Undecided

I really want to love his sling, it is a product of master handcraftship, I really want to believe, because he does so well with it and the Balearics have a legendary reputation, and maybe it just takes more practice than 350 shots to maximize its potential. And when you hold it, it really feels like you have a serious weapon.
But every time I swap to a thinner sling I am blown away by how much more efficient it feels.

So the extreme thickness could still be argued for durability reasons. But I am starting to think a natural fibre sling can be made very strong and quite thin (just a little more than 4 mm) if hemp, linen or nettle is used and the cords are waxxed. I was doubting my jute slings could handle the heavy rocks 250g and I still do but my thin waxxed hemp one is holding up extremely well to them.

I would love to see Luis use a thinner sling one day and hear his opinion about it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5923 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 12:48pm

Just an idea I had.

Good points. So the next question would be can we prove that such slings are more stable. And how do we define that? Better scores?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5924 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 2:59pm

Morphy wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 12:48pm:

Just an idea I had.

Good points. So the next question would be can we prove that such slings are more stable. And how do we define that? Better scores?

There's no doubt in my mind his sling is the most stable one I have used. The square braid and the taper ensures that the cords will never twist during spinning and that the sling will open up correctly (haven't had the cords twist around each other after a throw, ever) That's a good thing. But is it worth the trade off of using a sling that requires more energy to use, I don't know.

The whip snap is really cool, and makes using it fun, especially to impress others. Other than that it's not really beneficial to a sling and would betray position but could also be a nuisance to neighbours. I think I prefer a tab. You would never hear where its coming from.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 393 394 395 396 397 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)