Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 392 393 394 395 396 ... 404
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 1410170 times)
Albion Slinger
Descens

Lewis

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5895 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 11:58pm

New Balearic sling received from Luis.
Weight: 3oz
Length: 22" from loop to centre.

Luis_1.JPG (181 KB | 5 )
Luis_1.JPG
Luis_2.JPG (161 KB | 6 )
Luis_2.JPG
Luis_3.JPG (160 KB | 4 )
Luis_3.JPG

Regards,
Lewis.

IP Logged

Kick
Interfector Viris Spurii

Finland
Reply #5896 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 2:12am

Nice! If it's anything like mine from Luis it'll be a dream to use.

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #5897 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 2:16am

I have the exact one except no finger guard. Tell us your experience with it. To me it slings so different compared to my flexible slings that fit in my pockets.

''He leads the humble in what is right,
    and teaches the humble his way.''
Psalm 25:9

IP Logged

Morphy
Interfector Viris Spurii

Checkmate

Reply #5898 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 6:33am

To me the Balearic slings are some of the most beautiful of all slings but they look so heavy I can’t imagine using them. Maybe that makes them more accurate?? I have no idea. Must be some advantage. Either way Luis does beautiful work you are lucky!

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5899 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 7:27am

Morphy- I have a hemp Balearic from Jaegoor. He recommends them as the best but it doesn't perform for me as nicely as my own paracord design.
I trump that up to materials.
I'm a fan of the weight and feel of synthetics vs natural fibers.

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #5900 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 9:09am

Morphy wrote on Jun 6th, 2020 at 6:33am:
To me the Balearic slings are some of the most beautiful of all slings but they look so heavy I can’t imagine using them. Maybe that makes them more accurate?? I have no idea. Must be some advantage. Either way Luis does beautiful work you are lucky!

I think they make sense for 200g+ projectiles.
But for 50g-150g projectiles a sling this stiff and beefy is not needed and probably not as efficiënt. For light projectiles the drag of this sling is highly noticeable.
Although maybe a hemp variant would be nicer.
The traditional ones also need to be broken in I think, so they loosen up a little.
I am gonna go out now and throw some heavy 200g projectiles with this sling, see how it works.
Hope I break no windows.  Smiley

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #5901 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 9:33am

Can confirm, the genuine Balearic sling is the best sling for 200g+, it shoots them like a cannon.
However, I found I could only really use the Balearic style effectively. My usual Greek was terrible, and figure 8 was simply impractical.

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #5902 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 1:54pm

I made a second prototype Y-sling to experiment with, it's nothing special.
But what I discovered by slinging projectiles of various shapes and sizes:

- Y-Slings can sling non-spherical ammo just as well as regular slings, jagged rocks and lead glandes included. You are not limited to spheres only. Okay, you might not be able to throw huge rocks as with the Balearic sling, but you can still throw a very diverse set of ammo.  But the spin of the projectile is very different and minimal. This could be desirable in some situations and not in others.
- Elongated ammo has to be put into the pouch like this (see photo)
- 95% of the weight has to rest on the release cord (Imagine the section between the split release cord to be a regular pouch).
- It releases cleaner than all my other slings
- This sling has solved the problem of the projectile skipping over the release cord
- Through trial and error you can find the sweetspot for where you want your release cords to connect, so that it doesn't touch the projectile in a throw
- mind = blown

I think every slinger should at least give it a shot. I am going to test it further and make less crappy versions  Smiley

That being said I still think that a perfect sling from Jaegoor or Hubert could release as clean as an Y-sling, but it is harder.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2020 at 4:06pm by jauke »  

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #5903 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 3:46pm

How it is held
All the weight on the release cord
Let the retention cord hang from your retention finger without tension.

It throws - amazing, unlike anything else I've used.

A little test:
if I hold the Y sling like this, and I let go of the release cord, the stone drops out of the pouch nearly instantly

If I hold a regular sling like this with a stone and let go of the release cord, the stone takes more time to fall as it has to wait for the sling to fold and touching the release cord as it goes = friction

This also explains why regular slings need protection in that area: stone rubs release cord

There is no rubbing on the Y-sling

Even on the best of regular slings and throws, I believe there is some rub and damage to the release cord, caused by the projectile. Thinking about it,  this friction is terrible. We can minimize it but never fully get rid of it, because it is inherent to the conventional sling design

I think I am hooked on this new design.

Try it out guys!

Just make sure to have the weight on the release cord, and long part of the projectile facing the way of the lead glande in my previous pic. Otherwise it won't work and you will get a wrong impression of this design like I did initially.

I had some amazingly accurate shots with it tonight. Which is why I am so enthusiastically writing about this now.

IP Logged

Albion Slinger
Descens

Lewis

Reply #5904 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 6:12pm

An interesting concept, but there are two things I would like to point out. I can't imagine you could get a bi-conical projectile to stabilize point-first if it was released in such a way (please correct me if i'm wrong), and to me that is one of the most important aspects of a sling.
I believe there is a sweet-spot with regard to friction as friction is needed to stabilise projectiles (especially elongated ones), but too much friction is counterproductive.

Regards,
Lewis.

IP Logged

Albion Slinger
Descens

Lewis

Reply #5905 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 6:16pm

Tomas wrote on Jun 6th, 2020 at 7:27am:
Morphy- I have a hemp Balearic from Jaegoor. He recommends them as the best but it doesn't perform for me as nicely as my own paracord design.
I trump that up to materials.
I'm a fan of the weight and feel of synthetics vs natural fibers.

Thick and heavy Balearic slings are very stable and predictable, and thus are good for target shooting. However in order to make the best use of them, one should use projectiles 150g or more.

Regards,
Lewis.

IP Logged

Albion Slinger
Descens

Lewis

Reply #5906 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 6:24pm

jauke wrote on Jun 6th, 2020 at 2:16am:
I have the exact one except no finger guard. Tell us your experience with it. To me it slings so different compared to my flexible slings that fit in my pockets.

Have yet to give it a substantial test, but so far it has been rather intriguing. First thing to note is that it was twice as heavy as the Balearic sling I made (which happens to be the same length), and it is very predictable sling to use. It offers the perfect opportunity to really see whether sling weight (to a degree) negatively effects power.

Regards,
Lewis.

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #5907 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 3:55pm

Albion Slinger wrote on Jun 6th, 2020 at 6:12pm:
An interesting concept, but there are two things I would like to point out. I can't imagine you could get a bi-conical projectile to stabilize point-first if it was released in such a way (please correct me if i'm wrong), and to me that is one of the most important aspects of a sling.
I believe there is a sweet-spot with regard to friction as friction is needed to stabilise projectiles (especially elongated ones), but too much friction is counterproductive.

I slung a lot today going back and fort a traditional and y sling, throwing into the distance.
The traditional sling gives bad rocks funny sounds as we know and throws them further. Even when using a shorter traditional sling. This is probably because the y-sling doesnt rifle and my y pouch catches a lot of air. The y-sling is silent. I can confirm it releases much quicker, even quicker than my quickest releasing traditional slings. But then again, a delay from the regular sling can be memorized into muscle memory.

Elongated stones wobble mid air with the y-sling. Couldn't test accuracy because all my stones were shi*. It seems both have their cons and pros  Shocked Grin

Overall the regular sling is much more fun with bad rocks, because of the cool sounds.

IP Logged

jauke
Interfector Viris Spurii

I like honey

Under Sea-Level
Reply #5908 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 6:26am

I had another go slinging a football shaped dog toy with the Y-sling. Instead of shooting it point first,
it throws it like a kylie, twisting around the middle axis. Very interesting, but not very beneficial. My Balearic sling on the other hand, gives it insane point first rifling. I am kinda glad this y sling design is not perfect because I started fearing we might have been doing it all wrong.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Interfector Viris Spurii

Checkmate

Reply #5909 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:24pm

Albion Slinger wrote on Jun 6th, 2020 at 6:24pm:
jauke wrote on Jun 6th, 2020 at 2:16am:
It offers the perfect opportunity to really see whether sling weight (to a degree) negatively effects power.

I imagine it would. Take all the excess near pouch/ pouch weight from something like a Balearic sling, remove it and instead add it to the stone. Same weight, more kinetic energy down range.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 392 393 394 395 396 ... 404
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)