Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 391 392 393 394 395 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208590 times)
Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5880 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:59am

Beautiful sling, as always.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5881 - May 31st, 2020 at 12:03pm

Really nice Jaegoor.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5882 - May 31st, 2020 at 3:13pm

Beautiful Jaegoor!  Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5883 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 10:34am

Kick wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 4:32am:
Finally finished this twining over sticks sling.

Nice one! I like!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5884 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:56am

My first sling with a tab instead of a knot. I made some small mistakes but I will improve it in the next sling. I think I really like it

IMG_20200603_135043.jpg (1024 KB | 43 )
IMG_20200603_135043.jpg

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5885 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 11:13am

😄 😂 Gut geworden.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Somewhere with crummy rocks
Reply #5886 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:25pm

My first-ever leather pouch sling! This was my first leatherworking project; I figured it'd be good to start small, and what better way to do that than a sling pouch?

I made my two cords out of 2/3 sisal twine and 1/3 acrylic yarn, with an adjustable cinching loop at either end to attach to the pouches.

The pouch straps are basically 7/8" wide strips of leather cut at 4 1/2" long, with a hole punched 1/4" in from either sides. (I would have used eyelets to reinforce the holes, but the ones I ordered were too small to accommodate the cords.)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my result! Once I get my hands on some bigger eyelets and dye, I intend to make the pouch itself much more interesting.

leather_pouch_1.jpg (217 KB | 42 )
leather_pouch_1.jpg
leather_pouch_2.jpg (248 KB | 24 )
leather_pouch_2.jpg

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5887 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 11:15pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 7:56am:
My first sling with a tab instead of a knot. I made some small mistakes but I will improve it in the next sling. I think I really like it

I much prefer tabs over knots. If you use the sling a lot, you can always re-weave the tab, whereas with a knot you have to replace part of the release cord.  Great job on the pouch!

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5888 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 8:37am

@Jeagoor.
Danke. Die Schleuder sind nicht so gut wie deine, aber deine sind eine Inspiration. Meine sind alle noch freihändig gebaut, ausgenommen eine Nadel für den letzten Teil des Gewebes. Ich möchte versuchen, in Zukunft mit einigen kleinen Handwerkzeugen oder Webbrettern bessere Schleuder herzustellen.
Ich denke, Sie haben Recht mit dem flachen Beutel entwurf. (Entschuldigung für schlechtes Deutsch)

@CaptainTwine
I made slings looking very similar in the past, and they throw about everything, the only problem I had was that compared to other designs, this design releases the shot late, especially on smaller projectiles that do not rest on the sides of the pouch but rest inside the pouch. This is due to the inherent cupping of this design. It's very friendly for beginners but I personnaly have moved on to other designs. Let me know your experiences with it!

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #5889 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 12:24pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 4th, 2020 at 8:37am:
@CaptainTwine
I made slings looking very similar in the past, and they throw about everything, the only problem I had was that compared to other designs, this design releases the shot late, especially on smaller projectiles that do not rest on the sides of the pouch but rest inside the pouch. This is due to the inherent cupping of this design. It's very friendly for beginners but I personnaly have moved on to other designs. Let me know your experiences with it!

I'll definitely post on how it goes! This will also be the first time I've used such a sling as this, as well as making one, so I'll keep all this in mind when I practice today. I'm not sure if it'll perform better than my other slings; I suspect I'll be able to get more range out of it at least. (It is much longer than my others, around 47-1/2" inches versus 37" for my second-most recent sling.)

“For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation, 'tis necessary that it should be observed and explained; and... a reason should be given, for what seems altogether inconceivable, how this new relation can be a deduction from others, which are entirely different from it. ..[V]ice and virtue is not founded merely on the relations of objects, nor is perceived by reason.”

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #5890 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 3:06pm

@jauke
Very nice weaving!

@Captain_Twine
Looks good! Did you split the braid at the end of the release cord to make it crack like a whip?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5891 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 4:15pm

@CaptainTwine

Perhaps it is the stiffness of the leather? It looks quite thick here. I've done this same aussie pouch design with thinner leather and it's one of the smoothest releases I've had.

IP Logged

Captain_Twine
Descens

Substance is a Word.

Reply #5892 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 8:21pm

I tried it out! Honestly, I couldn't be happier with how it went; it threw like a dream. If the heat wasn't so oppressive today I might have stayed out with it for an hour or two Grin I loved how it felt. It also holds tennis balls reasonably well, which makes for a good practice/garden defense ammo for out in my yard.

Tejo wrote on Jun 4th, 2020 at 3:06pm:
@Captain_Twine
Looks good! Did you split the braid at the end of the release cord to make it crack like a whip?

Thanks! I think it's probably the best sling I've made yet. It would be awesome to have a whip-crack, but I mostly did it to give my hand a place to rest that wasn't a knot, ha ha. The split acts almost like a pommel, allowing my hand to feel where to hold the release cord without having to look. It helps a lot with keeping the throw consistent over the sling's use, I think! The sling itself is actually pretty quiet, which is a little disappointing to be sure.

JudoP wrote on Jun 4th, 2020 at 4:15pm:
Perhaps it is the stiffness of the leather? It looks quite thick here. I've done this same aussie pouch design with thinner leather and it's one of the smoothest releases I've had.

To be honest, I'm not totally sure I chose the right thickness of leather for a sling pouch, but this was all I had Roll Eyes The leather is pretty flexible in my case; I didn't do any hardening/wet-forming on it. I dunno how much it's affecting anything though.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5893 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 3:32am

@CaptainTwine

Definitely the thickness. They just weren't flexible enough. And the ones that I made with thin leather had a habit of ripping after so many throws.

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #5894 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 10:33am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 5th, 2020 at 3:32am:
@CaptainTwine

Definitely the thickness. They just weren't flexible enough. And the ones that I made with thin leather had a habit of ripping after so many throws.

I wonder if using backpack straps to make an aussie pouch would be a good idea  Huh

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 391 392 393 394 395 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker)