Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 374 375 376 377 378 ... 516
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2203336 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5625 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:18pm

@
Neddie_Seag00n

Slings look nice!  You mentioned that the djembé cord ones are heavy.  Does that seem to help or hurt its sling performance as compared to paracord?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5626 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 3:14pm

I finished this sling last night.  It's a bunch of "firsts" for me, so here we go.
  • This is the first time I made a Rockman style sling.
  • Related to the first point, this is the first time I've done a woven sling pouch.
  • This is the first time I've used two different types of cordage in a braid.  This sling is hemp and linen braided together.
  • And finally, this is the first time I've used a taper in the braid.  The release cord tapers down from 16 strands to 8.

I like how this sling came out, but there are a couple problems with it.  I made the pouch a little too long.  When I was testing it, nothing slipped through the pouch, but there's definitely enough room for that to happen.  Next time I'll shorten it up.  The second thing is the sides of the pouch tend to rotate where they come together.  After each throw I needed to readjust it before loading another projectile.  So I'll have to try to tighten that up the next time I try a Rockman.

Overall I really like the look of this sling.  I only threw it three dozen times, but it already has a nice clean feeling in the movement.  Most times when I use hemp, the sling needs a little while to break in.  This one did not.  Which I'm assuming is because of the linen.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5627 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 4:23pm

Since I'm in the photo zone, here's a few of my most recent slings.

The sisal apache/shepherd is very similar to the one I used at the balearics this year and is probably the favourite sling in my collection, it's about 25'', made entirely of sisal fibre, leather and nylon waxed thread. It's light, flexible and soft yet has a tough feel to it and very low stretch.

The jute rockman is one I whipped up recently as I had some black jute to use, haven't thrown with it yet, but seems pretty nice. It has a paracord pouch. I tried braiding in nylon cord to the end but it's a little thicker than intended.

The final one is a design I've used once before and turned out really nice. It's all sisal cord but it's gone through a process of wetting, drying, braiding, wetting again and drying under tension which seems to get really good results from sisal. I unravelled the final 6 inches or so and braided fibre to avoid twisting in the cord. It has a really nice feel for some reason, and the cracker I added gives a good bang.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5628 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 8:55pm

Beautiful work guys. Those sisal slings are HOT. I always come here when I need motivation to get mine done.  Cheesy

@Joe An easy fix for the too long slit is needle and thread. I've had to do that on a few slings and it works great. Match the thread to the color of the pouch and it's almost invisible.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5629 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 9:27pm

Instead of fixing a rockman, braid a balearic pouch Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5630 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 9:56pm

@JudoP - Beautiful slings!

@Morphy - Great idea!  I'll give that a try.

@walter - A balearic will be attempted in the near future.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5631 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 5:17am

Wow. I need to both get back to sling making and seriously up my game. Incredible stuff.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #5632 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 8:42am

Poor internet connexion here, but I actually could load the pics!

some beautifull works here!
JudoP's sisal apache looks so fine!
I just miss my braiding kit...

Thumb up, everyone. you keep me motivated!

IP Logged

Neddie_Seag00n
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5633 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 4:41pm

@ joe_meadmaker

So it's been a while since I had any large quantities of cordage to make new slings, and the new ones I made are quite different to their predecessors as it is, for instance I've not had such big wide pouches for a while, particularly on the arm-length specimens. What immediately comes up is the sheer amount of damage on my skin from friction. The recent increase in power and accuracy that I also note may be coincondental; enthusiasm breeds dedicated practice, you know. Especially on the longer newly made djembé slings, I guess I'll find out how sturdy they are based on the amount of wear by the end of summer.
(I have had some spectacular explosions as my larger quarts projectiles hit the long dead ancient signal box.)

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5634 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 2:41pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s56Lsgo_2F0&feature=youtu.be

Video from Balearics this year of one of my diana hits. Not sure if this is the right place to put it but 'slings and slinging' seems appropriate even if it's 90% slings!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5635 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 8:09am

Here a very simple and versatile sling, 82 cm length and a very fast throw. Not pretty or a work of art but extremely effective. I like the combination of brown leather belt and brown natural fibre cords.  Makes it look more traditional even though its not.

sling_003.jpg (242 KB | 71 )
sling_003.jpg

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5636 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:09am

Very nice!  I'm a big fan of this design too.  Although the ones I have are just done with paracord (or laces from a pair of boots in one circumstance).  There is definitely an elegance to the simplicity and effectiveness of it.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5637 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 11:01am

This cordage that  I used doesn't melt when I burn it, so I assume it was natural, but I may be mistaken. I really don't know what the cord is made out of. But it is extremely tough and many decades old, I am not sure natural cord can last this wel this long unless it had a big chemical treatment.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5638 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 11:03am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Aug 23rd, 2019 at 10:09am:
Very nice!  I'm a big fan of this design too.  Although the ones I have are just done with paracord (or laces from a pair of boots in one circumstance).  There is definitely an elegance to the simplicity and effectiveness of it.

Of all the slings I tried there is still not one that surpasses this design in effectiveness for me personally. If I could only have one sling this would be it.

It works so well that I haven't been motivated for a long time to  spend hours and hours braiding slings and learning new designs that look much prettier. I've braided about 15 slings in the past and got about 3 foreign slings, including one of Luis' balearic slings, but none work as well as this one for me.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5639 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 1:35pm

That is what's known on the forum as an 'Aussie' sling. It's a very good design, lightweight, simple and versatile. My only concern is the ease in which the pouch pieces can 'roll' (pouch attachment method dependant). My personal solution to this which I think gives the best balance of stability and flexibility, is too add slightly longer leather at an angle and thread the cord back through it. Let me find a pic...

With appropriate attachment I'd say this ranks as joint number one for paracord type slings shared with the mighty seatbelt sling (also an Aussie creation).

sling1_004.jpg (601 KB | 59 )
sling1_004.jpg
sling2_004.jpg (606 KB | 70 )
sling2_004.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 374 375 376 377 378 ... 516
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15)