Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 370 371 372 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208494 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5535 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 9:57pm

I finished a new sling tonight.  I don't recall seeing a pouch done this way.  So I'm curious if anyone has seen or used one like this before.  Essentially it's a braided split pouch sling, which then has a piece of leather attached to fill in the pouch.

Here is the sling after braiding was complete.  It's made from linen cordage.

Here is a shot of the leather before attaching it to the sling.

Here is the sling with the leather pouch attached.  I put it on with rivets.

And finally, a close up shot of the pouch.

When I got done I couldn't wait to try it.  I went outside and gave it a throw in the dark.  No idea where that apple went, but the throw and the sling felt very solid.  I'm still concerned that the position of the leather might slide around on the sling.  But I can't wait to give it another go when I can see.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5536 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:45am

It looks almost, but not quite like an Apache. Pretty sure you have an original. As usual, nice work Smiley
Where did you get the linen?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5537 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 9:57am

Thanks!  I actually don't recall where the linen is from.  I've had it for quite a while, and it was lost for part of that time.  I found it in a closet a couple weeks ago and decided to try a sling with it.  Probably got it through ebay or something like that.

The cord pretty thin.  It's about the same diameter as the hemp I use.  I made this sling a little longer than normal, so I went with 16 strands in the braid instead of 8 like I usually do with hemp.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5538 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 4:55am

Wicked new design!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5539 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 6:08pm

Bear claw asymmetric sling made from a broken cellphone holder. The sides of the bear claw shape were trimmed later because the sides were too wide and didn’t help with ammo retention but still caused air resistance.
Cordage is bamboo.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5540 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 10:56am

@NOC - Nice reuse of materials.  Looks good!  I like the color variation between the retention and release cords.  One of the Tibetan slings I have has a different braiding pattern for each cord and I like it a lot.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #5541 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 2:34pm

A lucet is an ancient way to make cord from yarn that goes all the way back to the Vikings.  The cord is strong with a slight stretch and will not unravel if cut.  I made my lucet out of a forked stick (fallen).

I used a lucet and cotton yarn to make a long cord.  Then I tied a sheepshank in the cord and wove it together with yarn to make a pouch.  Sling is very accurate and ammo does not stick in the pouch, even when shooting hackysacks as in the picture.

Below is a link that explains how to lucet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3l85F9LAE

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5542 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 3:11pm

@fattybones - Looks intriguing.  At first glance I thought it was a slingshot Cheesy

When I click on the link I get a message that the video is unavailable.  It's possible there's an issue on my end, although other YouTube videos seem to be working.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #5543 - Apr 5th, 2019 at 3:35pm

Thanks, should be fixed now.  Accidentally missed the last character in the video url.

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5544 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 3:34pm

So I found some really old, but extremely tough natural cordage hanging on the back of an old painting. It seems that age has just strengthend this cord, which must have been treated chemically for it to last this long and become so strong. I thought it would make for good slinging cords, and that they do. Pull one end through the pouch and twist them together, do the same on the other end. I prefer this over single cords, as it adds just an extra bit of thickness. I am not sure what natural material it is made out of, but I would like getting some more of it. It feels like the strongest cords I have ever used on a sling. I bet these will outlast all my other cords. Sling is an arms length, just short of 60 cms for me, which I recently discovered I find most comfortable. I reused two old strips of some type of belt material that just won't wear out for the pouch. This will be my main new/old sling for everyday carry.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:18pm by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5545 - Apr 27th, 2019 at 3:34pm

close up of the cords. If someone can identify this material please do so. Some sort of treated hemp?

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5546 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 7:49am

I made a lucet a while back as well and Have used it for making cords out of wool for a few projects. I've thought of using it for a sling but I wanted to use something stronger than wool. The problem is that using a tougher material makes it harder to do so I haven't made much progress with the idea so far.

Jauke, that looks awesome! Really like the look of it and if it works as well as it looks then that really is a "for life" sling.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5547 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:36am

@
Jauke

Pretty nice old sling  Cool

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5548 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 4:40pm

Kick, versuch es mal mit fingerstricken. Es geht viel schneller als mit einer lucet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVz-VXY3Rmw

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5549 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:24am

Jaegoor wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 4:40pm:
Kick, versuch es mal mit fingerstricken. Es geht viel schneller als mit einer lucet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVz-VXY3Rmw

That does look good. Looks like it would be tough on the hands though using anyhing but wool. I know wool can make a fantastic material for slings but I'm still hoping to use something more longlasting.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 370 371 372 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)