Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 369 370 371 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208510 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5520 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 11:03am

Kick wrote on Jan 19th, 2019 at 8:37am:
More slinging ice balls with the shorter Tibetan sling on a really beautiful snowy day.

I finally had some good packing snow in my area about a week ago and was able to try the new Tibetan slings.  Now that is great fun.  Still have snow now, but it's too cold and dry for a snowball.

I also bought some ice sphere molds and have been using those too.  They work really well.  Just get cold fingers Cheesy

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5521 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 11:08am

walter wrote on Jan 19th, 2019 at 1:09pm:
@ Joe, Knew who made that sling before I saw your name attached to the post. Really like your slings, but if you reversed the kite end for end I think the sling would release the projectile a little sooner. Just saying  Wink

Thanks for the tip!  I was curious about that.  I looked at some pictures of asymmetrical pouches, and the "long side" seemed to be on the release cord.  Admittedly I could have just been seeing them wrong.

The release side being shorter does make logical sense.  Guess I'll have to make another one Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5522 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 2:37pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 21st, 2019 at 11:03am:
I finally had some good packing snow in my area about a week ago and was able to try the new Tibetan slings.  Now that is great fun.  Still have snow now, but it's too cold and dry for a snowball.

I also bought some ice sphere molds and have been using those too.  They work really well.  Just get cold fingers

Ha ha! A convert! Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5523 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 5:29pm

@ joe, you may or may not know that you can make a normal pouch and get the same or even better results by making the release point farther  away from the pouch. For instance, for throwing golf balls with your sling, I grasp the release cord 3" past the release knot. Now, the ball  sits at the very edge of the pouch instead of in the middle of it. Cleaner, faster release? I think so and to me that is what counts Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #5524 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 4:37pm

All the good rocks are buried. Sad

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5525 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 3:38am

I watched CoyoteSlinger's recent video on how to ply rope and had sudden inspiration.
https://youtu.be/hW8QGodcdsg
I was aware of plying but sometimes you need something to push you in the right direction to notice something very obvious Cheesy For an experiment, it worked out very well. I started with 9 stands of jute, folded in half, plyed them together (passing the lengths through the first twist to make the retention loop) then tying a knot and separating the stands into 6 strands of 3 each, braiding those to make the pouch, then plyed to the release knot.

The result is a sling I'm really happy with. Still needs testing but it holds tennis balls easily and, because of the pouch type, rocks of all shapes. This was also quicker than braiding. Would recommend.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2019 at 3:40pm by Kick »  

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5526 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 7:41am

Looks like it would be a good choice for a fiber survival sling. How long did it take to make?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5527 - Jan 29th, 2019 at 2:04pm

Well I made it over two days but that was because of starting later in the evening. All told, about 2 or 3 hours but I wasn't rushing. I think it would be possible to make a simpler one with fewer braids in around an hour. Probably less with practice.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5528 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 2:56pm

Here's a sling I made over the last couple days.  It's pretty massive, the picture doesn't really do it justice.  The 4-strand braid is made from paracord.  And the pouch is leather.  At it's widest points the pouch is approximately 11 in (28 cm) X 6.25 in (16 cm).  The length of the sling from center pouch to release point is about 50 in (127 cm).

This sling came about because I've recently been using ice made in spherical molds as projectiles (thanks to Kick posting the idea Wink).  I also recently had a new batch of mead fermenting, and for my temperature control setup I use a cooler filled with water and very large ice cubes.  I make the ice by freezing water in plastic containers.  The temperature control part for this batch has ended, but I still have a handful of really big ice cubes in my freezer.  It got me wondering if I could sling them.  And so I decided to make a really big sling.

It's definitely more of a novelty sling, but I'm hoping to give it a try this weekend.  If it works I'll try to shoot a video and post it.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5529 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 3:06pm

Awesome! Also this reminds me, I need to go put some more ammo in the freezer for the weekend...

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #5530 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 3:41pm

Bit of a gypsy feel this one.... work in progress

20190203_155655.jpg (2766 KB | 85 )
20190203_155655.jpg

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5531 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 8:41am

West coast sunset sesh

image_129.jpeg (37 KB | 61 )
image_129.jpeg

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #5532 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 11:07am

Looks like fun! I need to go slinging again! Cry Roll Eyes Grin

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5533 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 12:29pm

@_kava_ - That sling looks fantastic!  Will it be functional with the added decorations (like the little skull), or is this more of a decorative sling?

@Mersa - Great shot!  I love silhouette images and the background sunset on the water is just beautiful.

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #5534 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 3:38pm

@joe -Cheers, It will be functional and decorative  Wink

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 369 370 371 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)