Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 351 352 353 354 355 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2209529 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5280 - May 13th, 2018 at 7:44pm

Teg, you are a fiber artist Cool

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5281 - May 13th, 2018 at 8:44pm

For the last year or so (with just a few exceptions), I have been braiding the same type of sling with just a few variations. I think this may be the best I have made so far. It is hemp,  26" with five, five doubled, nine, eight, seven and six strand braids. The release bead is hemp and the release cord ends with a constrictor .

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5282 - May 13th, 2018 at 10:32pm

Beautiful work Walter. Always loved your slings.

@Teg, can you explain a little about how this loop is made so I can compare it against the usual loops? Right now I've only made the ones with the cords folded over.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5283 - May 14th, 2018 at 12:56am

Morphy wrote on May 13th, 2018 at 10:32pm:
@Teg, can you explain a little about how this loop is made so I can compare it against the usual loops? Right now I've only made the ones with the cords folded over.

Not Teg, but if you have 24 strands and don't want to fold it down the middle, you can braid for around a few centimeters on one end then split the 24 strand cord into two pairs of twelve yarns and braid it for around 3-5 centimeters or however long you like your fingerloop. Then you can combine them back into a 24 strand cord, although you might get the occasional 'stuff-up' when combining them.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5284 - May 14th, 2018 at 4:43am

Walter that sling is utterly fantastic. Bravo!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5285 - May 14th, 2018 at 7:09am

@ Walter: Thank you! Your sling is nice. It does have a replaceable end for the release cord or is there a change in the braiding pattern?

@Morphy: The usual loops in fistbraiding are made by
1. starting a braid, fold it over and continue with the doubled string count.
2. Starting the full braid, split in half, then recombine (as described by Jackinati).
3. Make a full braid for a long length, then sew it together to form a loop.

While all of these methods work, they have a couple drawbacks. Most are aesthetic though...

1. & 2. The look of the finger loop does not match the look of the rest of the retention cord. The loop has usually a different thickness or uses a different braiding method altogether. If you want the same pattern in the retention loop as in the retention cord you may have to work with doubled strings, which makes the retention cord utterly thick.

2. will produce a stub on the inside of your hand. I don't like that.

3. It is difficult to make the sewing strong, long lasting and unobtrusive at the same time. Also, where the braids are sewn together, a different pattern develops (which actually can look quite nice).

The method I posted in the previous picture is different as it is able to retain the pattern and thickness over the whole braid, including the fingerloop. It works by braiding both 24 strand braids into each other at a right angle (bottom crossing). So there's no "combining" (as mentioned by Jackinati) of the braids required. The same technique can also be used to cross a braid with itself to form a loop (top loop in the picture).
As mentioned, this retains the pattern and thickness over the whole braid. Also, it is strong as both braids, which are crossed, retain their internal structure and stabilize each other. There's no room for any wiggling.
Furthermore, the little stub will be on the outside of your hand, thus not interfering with your grip on the retention cord. Last, the whole unit of retention cord and retention loop looks neat and smooth. The loop does not form an individual visual entity but is part of the retention cord.
Last, I just like the technical challenge Wink

Next step: Make an actual sling with this.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5286 - May 14th, 2018 at 9:24am

Thanks for the explanations. You guys constantly give me more to learn and practice. I am grateful! (Can't say the same for my wife though  Wink ).

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5287 - May 14th, 2018 at 6:26pm

Thanks for the feedback! Teg, in the pic  it looks like a replaceable braid, but is a 7 strand flat braid going to a six roundish.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2018 at 8:41am by walter »  

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5288 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:08pm

Thank you!

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5289 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:10pm

Fistbraided sling made out of swiss wool (Wollspinnerei Vetsch). Working period: January to May, Braids with 4, 24 - 40 and 48 elements, woven pouch (plain and interlocked tapestry weave) with half-round 6 element braid for the borders.

---

Faustgeflochtene Schleuder aus Schweizer Wolle (Wollspinnerei Vetsch). Arbeitsdauer: Januar bis Mai, Geflechte mit 4, 24 - 40 und 48 Elementen, gewobener Brief (Schlitzwirkerei und einfach verhängte Schlitzwirkerei) mit halbrundem 6er Geflecht als Randabschluss.

Full_sling_lr.jpg (323 KB | 81 )
Full_sling_lr.jpg
pattern_lr.jpg (320 KB | 62 )
pattern_lr.jpg
Details_lr.jpg (293 KB | 51 )
Details_lr.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5290 - May 17th, 2018 at 7:16pm

Beautiful work Teg. Inspiring stuff.  Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5291 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:17pm

WOW!! I am speechless. That is amazing

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5292 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:27pm

Beautiful sling Teg!  Thanks for sharing Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5293 - May 17th, 2018 at 8:48pm

Wow Teg, that’s incredible!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5294 - May 18th, 2018 at 12:57am

Good work Teg. I have a good idea how much effort one of those takes!

I've not yet had the courage to try fist-braiding, but I do use a braiding card.

Mine is slimmer than yours due to using thinner yarns (Alpaca), but it uses pretty much the same pattern with the smaller continuous diamonds, except the eyes are red. I have noticed that if you use more yarns in the eye, you can create a textured and 'grippier' sling cord because it makes 'bumps'.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 351 352 353 354 355 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick)