Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 343 344 345 346 347 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208487 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5160 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:34pm

Thanks for the kind words  Smiley
Spent most of today hunting antler sheds and of course, brought this sling to give it a good work out. I am now a better slinger throwing Greek and f8. Not as good throwing balearic Undecided 
The sling I am braiding now was to be 24" also, but I would like a little more power with less effort so it will be 25" with the narrower retention and release cords Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5161 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 9:25am

Kick wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 11:39am:
Beautiful! I've got about 200m of hemp string in the post. Can't wait to get my hands on it Cheesy

Using 2.5 mm three strand hemp, I can braid a 27-29" Sling out of 5, 16 foot lengths of cord plus 10 18" pieces. You can braid a 24" sling using 14 feet of cord.  So, 200 meters should last quite a while Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5162 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:02am

Nice sling Walter. What's your favorite sling length?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5163 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 12:11pm

It was 27 until I made this sling. Twenty four inches might be just a little short cause I have to put more oomph into the throw though I was noticably more accurate. Going to try 25" and see if that helps a little with the oomph and to see if I am as accurate.
If I remember correctly, there is a recommended atlatl length determined by the length of your fore arm. Slings might be similar  noidea

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5164 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 12:32pm

walter wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 12:11pm:
It was 27 until I made this sling. Twenty four inches might be just a little short cause I have to put more oomph into the throw though I was noticably more accurate. Going to try 25" and see if that helps a little with the oomph and to see if I am as accurate.
If I remember correctly, there is a recommended atlatl length determined by the length of your fore arm. Slings might be similar  noidea

Yes sir I agree.  Proportion. In bow making it's like that as well in terms of balancing energy storage vs. functionality in your enviorment. Although in bows longer not only means (typically) more powerful, it also means more accurate. We aren't quite that lucky. 

24-26" is my favorite length. I refused to try such short slings for years but once you get a feel for them they are addictive. I've been of the opinion that a sling should be proportional to the slinger for a few years now. It does make sense. But I don't have the data to show what is the correct proportion or why. Do you have a specific reason you believe that Walter?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5165 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 2:03pm

I think style is a big factor though when it comes to length. The crazy long Tibetan sling I got in the SITH is impossible to use if you want to use fig 8, underhand, overhand, Balearic... basically any throw. Helicopter starting with the sling vertical was possible but very messy and near tore my arm off. THEN I started using the technique of starting behind the shoulders and coming up into helicopter and it finally made sense. The two Tibetan slings I have are now two of my favourites and almost twice as long as most of the others.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5166 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 3:04pm

@Morphy : Shorter slings are faster to make  Cheesy, use less fiber or twine, fun to use  noidea and I am more accurate with one. At least with the sling posted above. I don't know if this would be true for most slingers. I read somewhere on this forum Louis Pons uses quite a short sling for his size.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5167 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:35pm

I like that style KTO. And the lady that uses it makes it look very easy.

@Walter- Ya, I think Yurek mentioned he was slinging at 45 m/s or so. Fastest he had examined. And that's with heavy stones and a short sling. He's a beast.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5168 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:06pm

I think these last few comments may have me trying a shorter sling for my near future. I often feel like it has to be a hard and fast shot for me to be satisfied with it but maybe I’ll try for less  length and oomph and see if my control improves.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5169 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:37pm

I personally prefer shorter slings, though my largest sling is my second or third favourite.

I think I throw stones at a higher velocity with my longest sling but my accuracy is about as good as a stormtrooper.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5170 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:50am

Made another simple leather split pouch sling, simply works fantastic
65cm cords

351 gram rock
169 gram rock

(these pics are a few days old, since I have retwisted the cords to be a bit tighter and shortened the fluffy end and cut the corners of the pouch, I recommend so)

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5171 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 6:39am

Some of my best slings,

1 real Balearic sling from Mr Livermore,
1 paracord closed pouch sling from a SITH
1 simple aussie pouch sling (my distance thrower)
1 leather aussie pouch style sling with 5 strand-braid hemp twine cords
1 three-strand braid hemp twine sling with closed pouch
1 'fake' paracord closed pouch sling that has seen a lot of abuse

stone heap in the middle - all between 80-95 grams, good for small game
stones around the heap - all between 175-200 grams except one. War ammo

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5172 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 6:46am

Real nice collection. I should put up a group shot of my favourites once I find the time.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5173 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 4:27am

Kick wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 6:46am:
Real nice collection. I should put up a group shot of my favourites once I find the time.

I must have like 10 more slings somewhere, but these are probably the nicest.

I tried Luis sling for the first time yesterday. It takes a lot of getting used to. I could not get as much power out of it compared to my regular sling. It holds rocks well though.

I tried slinging the big smooth rocks in the pic with the paracord sling and sometimes they work, sometimes they slip out. 200 gram is really the max for that pouch size. Tennisballs work sometimes, sometimes they slip out.
Still nothing beats the leather split pouch for me. No slippage, can throw huge and small, light and heavy. And the hemp really has a nice snap to it.

IP Logged

Barefoot slinger
Tiro

Slinging is an experience.
Cherish it

Québec
Reply #5174 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 8:51am

Here is my new youtube channel about slinging, hope I will be able to post more but that will depend on how my flu is going. https://youtu.be/ybIDnzoQS5c

Look at how far I can throw this rock!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 343 344 345 346 347 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)