Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 342 343 344 345 346 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2230063 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5145 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 3:56pm

Kick wrote on Jan 30th, 2018 at 7:17am:
I knew what you mean. Some of my earlier slings seem down right flimsy now. I got an Apache sling from JudoP which could well be the sturdiest sling I have. Nice thick cords and really feels like I could put anything in it and it would be fine.

Funny as I always feel a bit worried about jute, though its a lovely material hence me handing it out in gifts. I'll send you a sisal one next time, that's real toughness!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5146 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 4:23pm

I wouldn't say no to a sisal one Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5147 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 9:28am

Awhile ago I made this sling. It is made out of cheap cordage with 2 straps of (in this case, fake) leather from an old belt.
Holes are punched with a regular paper hole puncher. The design is very similar to the Aussie pouch but without having the two straps glued together at the ends.
After testing out multiple sling designs I believe this is the most versatile and durable sling design of all.

This design slings small rocks, big rocks, uneven rocks, very slippery and smooth rocks, spherical clay balls, clay and lead glandes, tennis balls, golf balls and snowballs all equally well.
Most of my other slings have a compromise. My regular split pouch slings don't sling golf balls or spherical ammo (except tennisballs). My braided split pouch slings don't sling incredibly smooth rocks well or sling small rocks at all. My woven closed pouch slings often have pouches that are a bit too small and tend to fail with big smooth rocks and definitely can't sling tennis balls, and weaving the pouches takes a lot of time and rope. My flat leather pouch sling doesn't hold golf balls or tennis balls properly. And they all suck slinging snowballs, except this one. Aside from that, they all need more care and time when placing the ammo in the pouch. With this design you drop it in and go

Because the two middle pieces are not glued together, they have inherent adaptability to any ammo. Old belts can be bought at any thrift shop. All it takes is 4 cuts and 4 holes and you have a pouch. Because it's so simple, it can be made in 20 minutes (or less if you don't twist the cords, although I recommend doing so). This is the first sling design with which I am truly confident throwing anything that I come across and have access to in my ammo inventory without having to swap between different slings. Since I built it, it goes everywhere with me.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5148 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 11:14am

That's a nice sling, I've made a couple like that, it's probably the best sling design bar none for simplicity whilst remaining highly effective.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5149 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 1:01pm

I would agree. I threw one together in less than 5 minutes and it works with everything.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #5150 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 11:26pm

I agree JH, I made one similar and its one, if not my most favorite to use. I’ve tried replicating it but always failed on the pouch for some reason, it’s always lopsided. My first one came out perfect but hit a metal plate and was cut a bit, so I sewed it together and now I call it the Frankenstein or zombie sling.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

TimberGhost
Novicius

Ad silvam

OREGON, USA
Reply #5151 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 5:04pm

Interesting! I will have to make one:)

Our past is the future..

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5152 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 12:22pm

Here is my Balearic-style sling. It is made from hardware shop sisal twine, with the fingerloop done with nine strands done in the way that you do a five-strand braid and is doubled after the pouch. I tapered it down on the retention cord back to nine strands. Next time I am definitely watering the sisal before working it... blisters suck!

I kinda stuffed up on the pouch portion and only realised at the last moment when I joined them together.

https://imgur.com/buh32eH

Here is an image of my first woven wool sling. I can't remember how many yarn strings that I used, but It was a round four-strand braid.

https://imgur.com/RJznCEw

Here is my white woven sling where I used a balearic-esque flat braid instead of a round braid. (I am not good at round braiding.)

There is tapering on the retention cord. I thought that it was worryingly thin but it has held up quite well.

https://imgur.com/PooLjXR

And here is my red woolen sling with a woven pouch. This is also made in a five-strand flat braid. At the fingerloop it was 15 yarns, so doubled up it was around 30 yarns. No tapering on the retention cord.

The retention cord has also developed a cork-screw like twist on the end, which kinda sucks.

https://imgur.com/hlwWULx

This is quite a solid piece and I cannot wait to use it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5153 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 1:20pm

Nice work Jackinati. I especially like those last few wool ones. I bet they work great.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5154 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 1:55pm

Really nice! Do report back on their performance. I'm thinking of trying out a few different methods with wool namely a nålbinding pouch. I think it could work well but I need to experiment a bit first.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5155 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 5:23pm

I loved number 3!!!

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5156 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 11:32pm

[/quote]Morphy wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 1:20pm:
Nice work Jackinati. I especially like those last few wool ones. I bet they work great.

They work well and they have a good feel about them, though I haven't tried the last one out with actual stones.

Kick wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 1:55pm:
Really nice! Do report back on their performance. I'm thinking of trying out a few different methods with wool namely a nålbinding pouch. I think it could work well but I need to experiment a bit first.

That would work pretty well I think. I myself was thinking of trying a felt pouch just to see if it was possible. I think I saw a few images of Afghan slings that use felt pouches, though I could be wrong.

Tomas wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 5:23pm:
I loved number 3!!!

Thanks, number three is my favourite one. Even though it is  thin-ish it is still quite strong and can handle 100+ gram rocks quite easily.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5157 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:59pm

A 24" hemp split pouch sling with round braids and replacable cracker.
This design works well; i'm braiding another one now, but with smaller diameter jute twine.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5158 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 6:54am

That's beautiful. Great job.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5159 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 11:39am

Beautiful! I've got about 200m of hemp string in the post. Can't wait to get my hands on it Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 342 343 344 345 346 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man)