Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2233205 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5085 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 9:02pm

Ive probably spent weeks of my life simply walking around looking for lost ammo so I feel your pain. Metal detector might help if you have access to one.

That plumb bob did pretty good. Bet with a really sharp tip it would do a number on a deer. Ill have to keep that in mind when the zombie apocalypse goes into full swing.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5086 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 4:07am

I do think even this pretty blunt one could go into a soft target. I might take out a cardboard box and see how much penetration it manages. Obviously a deer and a cardboard box are a little different but it at least gives a vague idea.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5087 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 8:21am

I found the [expletive] ball bearing! The [expletive] thing was INSIDE the [expletive] log I thought it had bounced off! Somehow it bounced off the ground in front of it, up and about halfway through the log. I spent hours wandering around in the [expletive] grass through the [expletive] litter, dodging [expletive] broken bottles and [expletive] mosquitoes and it was inside the [expletive] log the whole time!

Now with that off my chest I can get back to slinging...

(Sorry for blurry photo but I was a tad excited at the time.)

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5088 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 9:02am

Glad you found yourball bearing  Cheesy
Dlssapointed to hear Finland has litter and mosquitos  Sad

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5089 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 9:08am

This is a particularly bad spot as it's right next to a road and a McDonalds. A lot of stuff seems to have been thrown from cars. I detest litter and those that litter. It's not perfect over here but I think generally there is less litter than in the UK. Mosquitoes, in the far North, are a big problem. At some times of the year in Lapland you can't stay outside for too long because you'll be covered in bites. Locals are more adapted to it but if I get even one bite it swells up and gets itchy as Hell. If I was in Lapland at those times I would go crazy. Down South where I am it's not as bad but they can get pretty numerous. Not as bad as the horseflies out in the forests though. THOSE are the ones to really watch out for.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5090 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 10:54am

walter wrote on Sep 28th, 2017 at 9:02am:

Ya, Arizona isnt exactly known for its thriving mosquito population is it?  Grin. At least thats one thing you got going for you Walter. On those nights when you walk ouside and its still 98 degrees you can always tell yourself, "Ya but not one damn mosquito for miles."

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5091 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 12:04pm

It doesn't help that I'm mosquito catnip. My Finnish girlfriend and her family get less than half the number of bites I do even if we are all sat outside at the same time in the same place. It seems they like the taste of my English blood Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5092 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 12:56pm

My wife is the same way with ticks. Ive been in the wild a hundred times more than her and never pulled a tick out of me. She goes out for one day and if she isnt careful she can have 3 or 4 of them.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5093 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 5:13pm

Well done finding it , it lives another throw !!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5094 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 10:18pm

Morphy wrote on Sep 28th, 2017 at 10:54am:
walter wrote on Sep 28th, 2017 at 9:02am:

Ya, Arizona isnt exactly known for its thriving mosquito population is it?  Grin. At least thats one thing you got going for you Walter. On those nights when you walk ouside and its still 98 degrees you can always tell yourself, "Ya but not one damn mosquito for miles."

Ah, I live in the mtns. Warmest summer nights in the low 70's  Tongue

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5095 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 2:19pm

I've been wanting to make a sling that's a bit thicker than the usual cotton string slings I make so I put together this sling. It's herringbone braid for the release and retention cords and then a 4 strand braid that I just found in Google for the split pouch. It was a little fiddly to work out, particularly combining the split back together. And that's where the mistake came in...

I basically combined the one side of the pouch upside down so it's twisted. I only noticed it once it was finished so there isn't much I can do about it now. It's not really a big problem but still the perfectionist in me is annoyed.

I think I'll be making a version 2.0 of this. I really like it but I know a few ways to improve it and I know to look out for that confusing transition. If anyone is interested in this one I would be happy to trade it. If I am going to be making another one the same way then no need to have two Cheesy

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5096 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 4:21pm

Otter, you did some nice braiding, finger loop looks perfect. I think the four strand braiding you used on the pouch straps  is also called finger weaving.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5097 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 4:35pm

Thanks! I think it makes for a good pouch but it really complicated the rest of the braiding. There probably is an easy solution but it might take more experimenting.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5098 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 2:55pm

(On the top of a pyramid in Giza, about 1330 BC)

"Oi, Tut! How's it going?"
"Thanks for asking Ankh. Still a bit warm from casting, but otherwise splendidly. And you?"
"Oh, I'm slinging along, just slinging along."
"Shut up the two of you! Don't you see that we are in the spotlight?"
"C'mon Amun, relax! Why do you always have to be such a pyramidal-headed fellow?"

Lead_tut.JPG (186 KB | 35 )
Lead_tut.JPG

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5099 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 4:56pm

Now those are some good woven pouches Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Rat Man)