Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 337 338 339 340 341 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2233291 times)
Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5070 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 6:57pm

In a proof-of-principle study I managed to make an egyptian-style sling freehanded. No loom, frame, jig or similar implement was used. The only used tool during construction are scissors. To the best of my knowledge this is the first time anyone has done this in modern times. If not, please bring it to my attention.
I loosely followed the features and dimensions observed in the el-Lahun/Kahun sling on display in Manchester Museum (Acc. No. 103). While it is not yet a perfect copy, the results are nevertheless promising.

The approach is based on twining. If time permits a short tutorial will follow tomorrow for further discussions.

Lahun_Free1.JPG (101 KB | 44 )
Lahun_Free1.JPG

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5071 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 7:28pm

Nice Smiley Is the pouch frame made similar to the Mexican tematle (shepherd sling) ?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5072 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 11:47pm

Please do make a tutorial Teg.  That looks great. Also looks like it took quite a bit of work with all that white thread.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5073 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 3:29am

I would be really interested in a tutorial.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5074 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 3:57am

Love the look of that one

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5075 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 3:14pm

walter wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 7:28pm:
Is the pouch frame made similar to the Mexican tematle (shepherd sling) ?

It is somewhat related. However the Tematlatl is a split pouch and then filled with weaving or twining while the above sling is what you would get if you leave away the split pouch and use the "frame" as connection to release and retention cord.

Morphy wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 11:47pm:
Also looks like it took quite a bit of work with all that white thread.

The bell rang midnight more than once while trying to make it Wink

Edit: Tutorial available here: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1505851909/0#0
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2017 at 5:07pm by Teg »  

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #5076 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:55pm

sehr schön Teg

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5077 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 8:27pm

Ref you have brains and talent!
Bravoooo

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5078 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 8:27pm

Teg*

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5079 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 9:58am

Finally found the time to take out the frying pan target and sling stones. Unfortunately my improvised muffling system of cardboard and paper fell apart fairly quickly... Luckily the spot I've found is very out of the way and it wasn't much a problem that it was back to clanging. Eventually I'll come up with a permanent solution. It's been a while since I've slinged rocks and I was surprised how much easier I found it compared to tennis balls. With tennis balls I miss far more often than I hit but with rocks I do much better I think because of the extra weight. I also got to test out the 2 inch ball bearing and boy, I would not want to be hit by it. Rocks are bad enough but the sheer extra power of the ball bearing was incredible. the first photo of the pan, all the dents are from stones, the second picture was taken after a few hits with the ball. Massive deformation. This wasn't even close to my full power and I'm sure there are others on this forum who can throw a lot harder so it really shows what a sling can do. I'm really fascinated by what the pointed plumb bob I have will do to it so that's my next objective.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5080 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:34am

Oh and I also have the plumb bob ready to go. I'm wondering if it will punch holes in the pan... The wool on the end is more to help in finding it after it's been thrown than anything else. Maybe it will help right it in the air but it's that heavy I don't think it will have much of an effect.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2017 at 12:37pm by Kick »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5081 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:58am

Nice! Looks like your target is hanging in there. That plumb bob should be very interesting if it managea to fly true.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5082 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 5:05pm

Great stuff , you'll put a hole in it if the plumb bob doesn't tumble

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5083 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 2:01pm

Got the chance to go out today and the results are in! The plumb bob is somewhat difficult to aim but I've been using heavy stones and a heavy ball bearing so I'm not so used to light ammo. When I did get it on target, it was pretty darn effective. The tip of it isn't that hard and rolled a bit with just the first direct hit but honestly it doesn't make that much of a difference. Its a pointy bit of metal and it hits hard whether it's sharp or not. It didn't quite punch all the way through but it got darn close. I wasn't throwing full power but I think it would have to have that very sharp point, maybe with a square cross section, to get all the way through. I did get one glancing shot which roughed up the side of it quite badly which shows the metal isn't all that hard. Really I don't mind because it was cheap and I didn't expect much from it so all in all it makes great ammo. I'm not entirely sure, but I think I managed to give it some spin on the release. The wool was almost always twisted as if it had been spinning whenever I went to collect it. Yet again I find myself wanting a slow-mo camera...

I also managed to find some suitable trees to hang the pan from which didn't make it much louder than when it's on the ground so I think I'll be doing that again in the future. I didn't get any photos of it up because I got a bit distracted by a slight problem I had...

I lost the 2 inch ball bearing. It's currently somewhere in a bush. I have no idea how it was lost really as it's large and really shiny. It should have been easy to find! It got too dark to keep searching for it so I'm going to have to go back tomorrow Sad

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5084 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 6:59pm

Nice stuff, sucks you lost the bb good luck finding it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 337 338 339 340 341 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)