Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2230527 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #3450 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 5:46pm

Lugh-lamhfada, sling trade? i love the slings, expecially hemp ones.
i like the balaric style, but 1/4 inch thick leather does not exactly make good pouch coverings...
-Squirrel

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #3451 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 10:16pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 5:46pm:
Lugh-lamhfada, sling trade? i love the slings, expecially hemp ones.
i like the balaric style, but 1/4 inch thick leather does not exactly make good pouch coverings...
-Squirrel

Sure, ive never done a sling swap squirrel. I will make you a hemp one if you like? I will have to go to the outlet and pick up some more of the hemp I used to make those slings. Its really good stuff and I get it in different varieties, thick and furry, thin and wiry etc.

I think the leather ive used is perfect. It creates rigidity but its not so rigid that it wont bend slightly. I wont put leather on if you dont want it, which is probably a good thing because I dont have any left!

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #3452 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 11:34pm

28 inch, cotton and wool rockman sling

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3453 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 7:53am

That's cool! How did you get the striped effect on the pouch Camo-Sling? Is this to replace your old four year old one?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3454 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 9:20am

They are all nice slings. Love that b&w Cool

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #3455 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 10:33am

Tomas wrote on Mar 15th, 2013 at 7:53am:
That's cool! How did you get the striped effect on the pouch Camo-Sling? Is this to replace your old four year old one?

Thanks! I tied two pieces of string together, one brown and one white at each end and then proceeded to weave it through like an ordinary pouch. Takes half the amount of time and looks good! Yes, however it didn't really hit the spot so I'll be trying to make another one of these but with thicker cords! This is a 6 strand and it's still too thin so I'll go with the 12 string!

IP Logged

Lugh-Lamhfada

A slinger is only as good
as his last stone

An Mhi, Ireland
Reply #3456 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 7:26pm

[quote author=timann link=1172017416/3435#3449 date=1363290959]Lugh-Lamhfda, that`s some cool slings.  All of them ,but I got a special place in my heart for grass slings.  I have braided slings from grass myself, and love the idea.

Thanks.They are great. Where I sling is surrounded by this grass so I had to give it a try and use some. It worked better than I could have hoped. It was a little tricky at first learning to splice in such short and easily breakable lengths of grass but it paid off.

"Andraste Basbochorbhan"- Andraste brings death to the wicked

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3457 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 5:16am

Great show! It`s always a pleasure to check the posts in the picture thread. Very beautiful slings.

At the moment I ran out of cordage (only paracord left, but I prefer braiding natural materials at the moment).
Cause after having looked in every hardware and gardening store in my area without finding uncoloured jute I bought now about 200m in an online-shop. Now I have to wait until it will be shipped.

The last sling I made is this central american style Tematlatl, made of cordage rests, pouch latex covered on the inside. The other sling on the picture is an older one, where I attached a release tab.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3458 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 5:26am

Those are both very nice.

IP Logged

slingingcanada
Tiro

I enjoy the staff sling

B.C, Canada
Reply #3459 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 10:23am

Wow, you guys are making some fantastic looking, quality slings!  I'm amazed.

Went out yesterday for a bit of a hike along one of the roads paralleling a
local lake.  Very peaceful, calm water, a few birds chirping and the sound of the
sling whipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-sreMpMSA
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:28am by slingingcanada »  

There have been a few times I've wondered if I should be wearing a hard hat when I do this.

IP Logged

Croatoan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Finland
Reply #3460 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 1:27pm

This is the first leather sling I've made =) It is not a replica of any historical artifact..

To get the leather to keep the cup like shape, I tied it around the clay ball I use as ammunition.
Boiled the whole thing for a while, and let it dry in oven for a few minutes. Leaving it still tied around the ball overnight.

At morning, to my surprise, it kept the shape really well, still remaining quite flexible. It's the third sling I've ever made.

Tell me what you think about it! It's my current favorite to throw with.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3461 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 1:50pm

That looks pretty good, I havent tried wet-molding leather.

If you cut slits across the width of the pouch it will pull itself into shape around the ammo: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1305569221

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3462 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 2:00pm

Good looking sling Croatoan! I molded my first sling pouch the same way:) I want to try boiling it with wax sometime, although that might make it too stiff. One thing you can easily improve is to use chalk to draw your lines instead of a pen. no left over markings that way:)

IP Logged

Croatoan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Finland
Reply #3463 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 3:21pm

Tomas wrote on Mar 18th, 2013 at 2:00pm:
Good looking sling Croatoan! I molded my first sling pouch the same way:) I want to try boiling it with wax sometime, although that might make it too stiff. One thing you can easily improve is to use chalk to draw your lines instead of a pen. no left over markings that way:)

Haha! I know Smiley I actually made them with chalk. But I think they looked so good in the leather that I re-did them with pen so that they would stick. Still, thanks!

IP Logged

Croatoan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Finland
Reply #3464 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 3:31pm

I just posted a picture of my first leather sling (few posts above ^^) and I decided I'll post pictures of the first two slings I've made. The first one is the paracord one. The second one is made by using tutorial found from this site (Tutankhamen's sling).

Most out of my slings I've used the paracord one. Even though it's the ugliest one, it is the first and because of the material, probably strongest one.

The ends of the Tutankhamen's sling are burned because I melted wax on them... in very.... well... unpractical manner which caused them to burn. Smiley It is made out of natural string which does not melt.

IMG_4914.JPG (191 KB | )
IMG_4914.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)