Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2229190 times)
lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #3240 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 5:00am

Again I have to thank you all for the great and inspiring pictures. I like trying new designs and sometimes modify a bit, but in each sling the greater part is a copy of one from slinging.org

In the last two weeks I didn`t make as many slings as I used before. In fact, since my registration on slinging.org I slowed down my sling-making-rate, cause now I tend to read more, I post and also I use to sling more often than before.

But nevertheless I still produce slings, especially for trying something new. Here I made another pink-leather sling, the first pink sling I showed in the he, she or it - thread. Its pouch is made smaller than in my average slings, but can still be loaded with egg-sized stones, which then remain straightly held between the attachment knots. As you can imagine the release is very good cause the stone doesn`t have to roll completely against or over the knot. On the other side this pouch design is more sensitive to loosing your ammo.
This small size would also be worth to be tried with a biconical lead gland, but I don`t have one to test it.

35-pink2.jpg (87 KB | )
35-pink2.jpg

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3241 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 5:07am

Another sling I made.
Very simple design. Ladder-like cuts to form a cupped shape when holding round ammo.
2-hole attachment on the retention side (holes are overlapped, causing an additional slight cup shape), 1 hole on the release end.
Throws very powerful, partly thanks to the long cords.

36-dmcs.jpg (106 KB | )
36-dmcs.jpg

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3242 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 5:57am

Another reason that was slowing down my sling-making frequency was that I started to make two slings I never finished. One was planned to be made of thick orange wool cords with jute woven over to form the pouch. It should be like a peruvian split pouch, but in the center with a woven bridge, connecting the 2 halfs. Having woven the central part (two outer parts + bridge) I noted it was impossible to pull the warps enough to totally hide them under the wefts. So I stopped there.
The other planned sling was another apache style, but with long, braided cotton cords and a tapering at the release end from 4 to 2 cords. At the end the 2 cords were untwisted into 3 strands each and braided as a 3(x2)-strand braid first and a 2-1-1-2 four strand round braid. Nearly finished the sling I thought, why making another apache? So I cut the sewings and detached the pouch. Then I removed the jute cord from the first incomplete sling and wove a pouch between the two braids of the former apache sling. The whole thing resulted in a tematlatl. As a last step I added 4 strands of jute cord to the last 2 inches of the release cord to have a bigger knot and more grip (+ protection against abrasion). All knots and the release end whipping were secured with a natural latex based textile glue, that in a future I`ll test to protect the inside of a pouch.

Thanks, Dan and David Morningstar for the tutorials Smiley

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3243 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 6:00am

I forgot to write how it performs.

WOW!!! "This is not a toy" was my first thought.

IŽll have to make more of this type.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Chain Braid Pouch!
Reply #3244 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 7:50am

Howdy Ya'll..

Just checking in with my newest Sling.  

This monster is made out of soft red and blue diamond braided rope.  It is started with an 8-strand round braid to the pouch.  At the pouch I dropped four of the cords and used the remaining four to fashion the pouch.  The pouch was made by fashioning each remaining strand into a "chain braid" with the loop side up.  Because the rope is already pretty thick (about 5mm [or 1/4"]) the loop side of the chain makes a pretty flat "floor".  After the chains were completed, I dropped another cord into a three strand braid.

Feels very heavy and good in the hand.  It was originally designed to throw tennis balls, and it the weight of the sling is great for getting momentum for a light object, however, a tennis ball slips through the pouch with too much force applied.  But, it handles rocks like nobody's buisiness, and makes a ridiculously loud crack when throwing them!

I'm pretty happy with it... 

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3245 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 10:19am

Reminds me of Pikaru's Chammorro slings:) that eight strand braid looks straight enough to be a ruler too. Great job man

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3246 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:28pm

On Sundays I sling in white.
Light and thin braided sling made out of lightly twisted hemp rope. It was made for smaller projectiles.

Hanfweiss.JPG (127 KB | )
Hanfweiss.JPG

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3247 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:34pm

But during the week it is beige  Wink

Again a braided sling, but this time a bit more sturdy. It is made for larger projectiles. The material used were natural bast fibres.
This sling is a bit more rigid and shoots also more accurate than it's white counterpart. But it is unforgiving if you make a mistake.

Bast.JPG (72 KB | )
Bast.JPG

IP Logged

Ney
Tiro

Reply #3248 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:58pm

Absolutely beautiful braided slings you have there, Teg! Shocked
The taper is pretty incredible as well.

Are the pouches doubled? It's a bit hard to see...

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3249 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 1:18pm

Ney wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:58pm:
Absolutely beautiful braided slings you have there, Teg! Shocked
The taper is pretty incredible as well.

Are the pouches doubled? It's a bit hard to see...

Thank you very much!

What do you mean with doubled? If you mean, if I was braiding with several strings in one strand, then it is yes for the white one. For the beige one out of fibres I was braiding free handed without making strands of fibres but just taking the "right" amount of them.

I guess it is better if I provide some pics  Wink.

If you need a picture in higher resolution please tell me and I will drop you a PM with a link.

This picture: White hemp sling. One arm of the pouch is nearly finished. With the second I have not yet started.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3250 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 1:18pm

Bast sling: One arm of the pouch is started, the other not yet.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3251 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 1:19pm

Bast sling: Both arms started.

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #3252 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 4:51pm

Awesome Teg..  I really need to try out an natural fibers sling.  I think it may be time to take some palm fronds to work for the night shifts..

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Ney
Tiro

Reply #3253 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 7:10pm

I meant if you added extra fibers just before braiding the pouch (hence the term "doubled").

Nevertheless, I'm surprised at the quality of the braiding on the bast sling. Considering the free handed method (never tried this, I guess it's normal for natural fiber slings) and the difficulty of braiding a 5-strand braid with natural fibers (It's quite a mess at the beggining) its quality is exceptional. Smiley

I'd be thankful if you could send me as much high-res pictues as you can, I'm preparing agave fibers for a balearic and I want to learn as much as possible.
Especially from a master sling maker such as yourself.

Also, one last question. How do they crack?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3254 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 5:15am

Ney wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 at 7:10pm:
I meant if you added extra fibers just before braiding the pouch (hence the term "doubled").

Nevertheless, I'm surprised at the quality of the braiding on the bast sling. Considering the free handed method (never tried this, I guess it's normal for natural fiber slings) and the difficulty of braiding a 5-strand braid with natural fibers (It's quite a mess at the beggining) its quality is exceptional. Smiley

I'd be thankful if you could send me as much high-res pictues as you can, I'm preparing agave fibers for a balearic and I want to learn as much as possible.
Especially from a master sling maker such as yourself.

Also, one last question. How do they crack?  Cheesy

In the white one I added strings right after I split both arms. Otherwise the diameter of the retention cord does not change. But you can also add them before the split.
The diameter of the bast sling continuously increases from 9 mm (about 5 cm after the finger loop) to 15 mm (1 cm before the split). The thickness is around 4-5 mm.

For the mess in the beginning just one hint: Fix your fibers in the middle with a clamp or a piece of string. Then start braiding. Before you fold the loop for the finger undo the very first 0.5 cm you braided. This way you can remove any irregularities from the start of the braid.

Further I have no idea how many strands I used in the bast sling. It is way more important to make the braid "compact" and evenly and to keep the center line in the middle. But you will see Wink.

I will drop you a PM with a link to my project folders during the day.

And thank you very much for considering me a master slingmaker Smiley.

Oh yes, my right ear is nearly deaf  Grin.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris)