Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2229451 times)
LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #3165 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 6:57am

This next Sling is my Favorite sling aesthetically speaking.  I call it "The Patriot" (because of the color scheme).  I haven't used it but once or twice (I think for a total of about 5 throws) partly because it's so pretty and I don't want to get it dirty, and also because it's Retention and Release Cords are made of that super-soft diamond braided nylon rope and I keep thinking that I'm gonna lose projectiles over the fence.  In this Sling's defense however, it has never dropped any ammo I've put in it (twice a Tennis Ball and three times Rusty Sling balls) so I'm hopeful that when I finally put it through it's paces it will perform well.  On the 5 times I've thrown with it, it has performed very well, releasing quickly and smoothly despite the fact that the pouch is woven with Paracord and feels quite stiff.  

Picture_004.jpg (89 KB | )
Picture_004.jpg

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #3166 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:09am

This is my latest Crafting.  The Retention and relesase Cords are braided with that same super soft and stretchy nylon rope I've been talking about and the pouch is woven with a mixture of black and white yarn.  The Weft is made from black and white yarn in a four strand flat braid.  Took just about Eternity to get enough weft made with that stuff.  Probably won't be doing that again anytime soon!   Tongue
   I was a little concerned that after all my effort on this sling that it might not perform too well.  It's heavier, but very flexible.  It's a little stretchy too, but it doesn't appear to be a problem.  The first time i threw a tennis ball with this sling, it went awfully far.  Much farther than I had intended as a matter of fact.  The Release on this sling is very quick and very smooth which feels a little counter-intuitive on a heavy sling such as this one.  It took me fully 5 throws to get the ball down where I wanted it.  All in all, a great sling so far!

Picture_003.jpg (Attachment deleted)

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #3167 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:20am

Alright, this next sling is also one of my favorites for throwing rustys, Tennis Balls and larger rocks.  I really want to try a biconical with this guy, but I haven't gotten around to making any I would risk throwing.  It is made from Jute, some brown, some green.  It's another Aesthetically pleasing sling, but I don't leave this one hanging.  It's seen it's fair share of rocks and whip-cracks!  I guess we would call the pouch a chammoro style, but I actually made this one before I had seen Pikaru's offerings.  Just goes to show ya that there ain't much we can call "new" in the slinging world (also that great minds think alike!).

So anyway, there's some of my slings from recent and not so recent times. 

Happy Slinging fellow Artists!

Picture_012.jpg (77 KB | )
Picture_012.jpg

I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3168 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:56am

Good show Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3169 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 9:29am

Great slings, LightSlinger!
Your weaving looks very clean.
Cheesy

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3170 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 10:24am

Finished my Triple Rockman. I like its look. Now I have to try its slinging performance.

@ Dan: I haven`t the sling here, but when I get home IŽll take some pics of it for the slingers guide.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3171 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 1:08pm

Thanks bro. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3172 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 2:58pm

I really like the looks of that pouch lakeslinger Cool

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

SPOOKYSHOGUN
Tiro

Stones want to fly so
let them. Sling proudly!

California
Reply #3173 - Dec 20th, 2012 at 1:25pm

Happy holidays everyone. I just wanted to post a picture of some slings I've made in the distant past. These are what I've been using for many years now. I make slings for others that I teach but these are my constant companions. My favorite and most used is the one at the bottom/middle position. These are all rather simplistic but that's what I like. Other then that, I also use Aussies unique mail separator/conveyor material slings. I don't post often so I apologize for just popping in like this but I am a member of this special community so I want to finally share something about slinging and me via visual representation.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3174 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 6:33am

The last days I started to weave a ladder (not leather) pouch sling, but it became too cupped.
It would never let a stone go...
A big waste of time and cordage.
So I unwove it to have the cords back and started today a new sling. It`ll be a shepherd pouch like in my drawn tutorial but without the loops. I want to make it a "one" piece sling. I doubt it will be finished before christmas, cause today I start holidays and will not have much time / opportunity for sling-making.

Here`s the failed pouch. Arrows show the woven-in cross-sections.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3175 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 8:07am

I also made a new leather pouched sling with jute cords. The performance is great.

On the release side I decided to make a whipping that should protect the cord whithout making
the beginning of the release cord to stiff. So I took a piece of jute-cord, untwisted it into 4 thin strings, and used one for the whipping, that I didn`t make too tight. At the end you nearly note no loss of flexibility.

23-leather.jpg (87 KB | )
23-leather.jpg

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3176 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 8:09am

Here`s another picture of it.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3177 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 8:16am

Also wanted to show you this one. It`s made following the shaped pouch tutorial from David Morningstar

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1235334392

using thin polycords. For protection against abrasion and more grip I decided the nude cord should wear a paracord suit.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3178 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 8:22am

My first sling of this style is on one of my first posted pictures (page 203 or 204 I think). The hemp cords were too short, so I cut them 1 inch under the loop or release knot, respectively. Then I unbraided them 2 inches and attached jute cords of the same thickness, which I braided in. The product of this became one of my best slings. It throws egg sized rocks as well as much smaller stones with an incredible speed and accuracy. I think it`ll become my EDC-sling.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3179 - Jan 1st, 2013 at 3:57am

Happy 2013 to all of you!

During the Xmas holidays I made some new slings and tested them. First IŽll show you a real slinger`s treasure I found in a shop that sells used military stuff: a basketball-sized "knot" that turned out to be the cordage of an old parachute. I bought it for a few Euros and unknotted the ball into single paracord pieces.
Here you can see half of the work done and three new slings with leather pouches. One is a simple flat pouch, the other one with cross-sections, the third one is a cupped pouch like in the previous two posts.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris)