Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208599 times)
Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #2235 - Jan 3rd, 2011 at 1:10am

timann wrote on Dec 31st, 2010 at 5:45pm:
Donnerschlag wrote on Dec 31st, 2010 at 5:30pm:
timann wrote on Dec 31st, 2010 at 5:18pm:
Morphy wrote on Dec 31st, 2010 at 3:18pm:
Love that Apache sling Timann.

Thanks.  It`s a handy, nice one, I feel that it`s made in harmony with  Apache Grandfathers spirit Smiley.
timann

I like how the pouch overlaps the braided portions of the pouch. Do you stitch the leather pouch on first, then trim to shape?

No, I do a whole lot measuring and educated guessing to get the size right, next I make the holes with a thin awl reasonably close to the rim of the leather, then I stitch it on.  In fact it takes a good bit of time to get it as nice as I demand from myself.
timann

Sounds like my process. Cheesy

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2236 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 2:23pm

Here is my latest sling. About 30 inches (I think Tongue) silver colored paracord PJ sling with a figure-8 release knot and a monkey fist retention knot. Yep you read it right, monkey fist. Cool I designed this sling to be held "La Manchega."

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Redbeard

Reply #2237 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 2:36pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Jan 7th, 2011 at 2:23pm:
Here is my latest sling. About 30 inches (I think Tongue) silver colored paracord PJ sling with a figure-8 release knot and a monkey fist retention knot.

Very nice!  I take it you usually have the retention cord affixed via a loop to your finger/s?  Do tell how this change in retention cord "strategy" works for you.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2238 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 3:40pm

The first slings I made were this style and I like it. Most of my slings have a finger loop that I wear on my middle finger and the sling coming out opposite to my palm. "La Manchega" is a much narrower grip with the retention and release cords almost touching in my hand so I get a little less spin on the projectile. I think these types of slings are a little harder to use and learn on (which is why I switched to finger loops), but now that my technique has improved I want to switch back. The sling is 31 inches, btw.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #2239 - Jan 7th, 2011 at 5:26pm

Very sweet looking sling.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2240 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 3:13pm

Nice sling, Masiakasaurus.  
Do you got a special reason to use the manchega hold, or is it just because Smiley

I have this roll of too thin flax cord, but wanted to try a flax sling anyway.  So I made this one with a 5-strand braid with ten strand, hoping to increase the thickness over a standard 3-strander with six.  It did remain thinner than I expected, but it`s still a very nice sling, wich work nicely.
I got some issues with the 5-strand braid.  When each strand is made up from 4 thin cords, one sneaky cord can suddenly be in the strand next to it, so keeping control is important.  With this braid I also I find it a bit tricky to make the start of the split, and especially the reconnection of the two halves.  It`s easy to have them, at least on one side, appearing to be one atop the other instead of coming perfectly in from the sides.  I was fumbling on and off for three days until I got this the way I wanted it (obsessed with details, or what... Cheesy).

timann

DSC00145.JPG (210 KB | )
DSC00145.JPG

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2241 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 3:15pm

Some of the finer details Wink
They would have been even finer if I had something better than my aging phone for taking pictures Sad
timann

DSC00146.JPG (195 KB | )
DSC00146.JPG

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #2242 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 5:49pm

timman, i like it. how long is the the pouch, and how wide?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2243 - Jan 8th, 2011 at 9:13pm

timann wrote on Jan 8th, 2011 at 3:13pm:
Nice sling, Masiakasaurus.  
Do you got a special reason to use the manchega hold, or is it just because Smiley

Just because. Smiley I started because I wasn't good enough at braiding to make a finger loop, but now I don't have a reason.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2244 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 5:17am

xxkid123 wrote on Jan 8th, 2011 at 5:49pm:
timman, i like it. how long is the the pouch, and how wide?

Thanks.  When the two halves is strightened out the split is 9 centimeters.  I would prefer it to be 10 centimeters/4", but some property of the  5-strand braid makes it come out slightly shorter compared to the 3-strand braid when each braided half is my standard 12 centimeter/ 4 3/4". 
I should have remembered this but I have not made a 5-stranded sling in a long time.
No matter, the sling work perfectly with most size pebbles, stones and tennis/bandy balls.  It`s a wery thin sling, though.
timann

IP Logged

dog footrot
Tiro

slayer of pie pans

i live in your basement.
Reply #2245 - Jan 14th, 2011 at 5:38pm

timann, thats quite a bright way of reconnecting those split braids for the pouch, i've always attempted to get a perfect oval and then reconnect them at the same level to get a side by side connection, i've never even considered crossing them over as if they were a rockman.
next time i get a chance, i'll do some testing with that type of pouch.

insert humourous quip here.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2246 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 5:36am

Dog footrot, you must look even closer, the point is that there is no crossing over whatsoever Smiley
But my phone camera is making an unclear image of what is in reality an almost perfect side-by-side connection Sad

I wanted to make something a little special from wool, and is rather pleased wiyh the result.  16-strand Peruvian braid, tapered via a 4-strand braid with 12 strands, down to an 8-strand braid, and with my standard finnish with an Double Mathew Walker release knot followed with an Wall knot in the end.  The pouch is knitted, and sewn in between the two halves made by 4-strand round braid.
The West Coast whippings is reverse twisted yarn. 
Due to some stretch I`ll say it`s between 29 and 31" Cheesy
In use this thing is at least as good as any other sling i has made, as for my older wool slings the stretch do for some reason no harm neither for distance or accuracy (I had to give it as good a testing as I could to confirm my own results). 
timann

DSC00147.JPG (211 KB | )
DSC00147.JPG

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2247 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 5:37am

And from another angle Smiley
timann

DSC00148.JPG (220 KB | )
DSC00148.JPG

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #2248 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 5:51am

Another awesome sling, timann! A piece of art.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2249 - Jan 16th, 2011 at 1:43pm

Yes, it`s a bit artish, isn`t it.  But as long as there is no bells and whistles and stuff that lessens it`s functionality I find it`s okay.
I just used it for a little snowball slinging with no issues at all.  Then I took it`s picture with my next Cheesy masterpiece.
Beginning with a 24-strand braid it`ll hopefully be quite something.  It`s in a flat box to prevent it from tangling into other stuff during storage.
That can easily happen.
It  probably should not be shown in it`s present state, it must be like seeing MonaLisa when it was just some splashes of paint Grin

Also shown is some older Rockman type wool slings.  No taper there, I had not figured it out back then, and my new knitted pouches use up much less material.
timann

DSC00149.JPG (267 KB | )
DSC00149.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)