Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 517
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208275 times)
Timothy Potter

Idaho
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #1500 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 8:21pm

walter wrote on Jan 6th, 2010 at 8:02pm:
"...and it didn't come out particularly pretty when you look at it closely."

Without a doubt, that is the prettiest sling I have seen. Ever. Are there instructions for building a sling like that in the Peruvian sling braiding book?

walter

Sling Braiding of the Andes has instruction for the braids, although I had to work out the particular pattern for the 8-strand braid myself, but the book doesn't explain how pouches are made. The 24-strand braid is a lot simpler than it looks, and for me was easier than some of the 16-strand braids I've done.

I've read some in a book my family has on Navajo weaving, so I used what I know of that when I worked out how to make the pouch. The pouch is more wrapped than it is woven. The red and white strands are are interlocked between the warp strands as they are wrapped around, and they switch places for the little checkerboard patterns.

The slings I based this one on can be seen here:

http://ceres.mcu.es/pages/SimpleSearch?Museo=MAM

just do a search for "honda."

-Timothy Potter

Edited:
I updated the old link since it wasn't working. October 5, 2010
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2010 at 6:18pm by Timothy Potter »  

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #1501 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 8:45pm

hybrid_throwback wrote on Jan 6th, 2010 at 11:21am:
New mongrel six string roo skin sling (try saying that 10 times quickly).

That's a great sling; the braided leather looks really good. I've tried leather braiding a little, but it's a different kettle of fish compared to wool or linen, so I can appreciate the quality in yours. I like the woven leather pouch, It looks like it would hold a stone more securely than a flat leather pouch would.

Oh, and by the way,

"
Newmongrelsixstringrooskinsling.
"

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #1502 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 11:51pm

Cheers TP (ya cheeky bugger  Tongue), getting a good start to a "half -round 6" using flat stuff and knowing when to make the odd well timed twist just takes a little practice but a roll of thong is pretty cheap and you always find a use for offcuts. Just plug away at it, almost anyone can make almost anything I reckon. It is shiny though and came out JUST how I wanted Shocked

Roo thong is oddly smooth yet pliable in comparison to cow or goat hide so the stuff handles a lot like nylon braiding. Although you want to be pretty sure to get it all sorted before you give it the final stretch and tension treatment of dragging it over a smooth edge under high tension, this "seats" the braids. Was oiled after braiding to make sure things bite into each other properly on the inside. mainly for protection from the drizzle I sometimes get up on my hill for a week straight.

The pouch switchbacking would be useless in "para" or nylon stuff but the leather bites really nicely and after 4 dozen test shots, needed no rearranging at all. I made it a bit slim as I have moved towards smaller, more accurate shots but it handles big stuff easily too. I plan to make a solid leather pouch, braided from one strip of roohide using double "secret plait" techniques, should be nice. Also plan to start a hollow braid in front of a restraining loop to hold a small bone or hardwood fid for repairs. Swiss army sling, haha. With a sunburn.

That one sits nicely around my neck tucked into my shirt when I walk around,I intend it to be my "carrying" sling.

It works a treat, extremely responsive and is at home in my little biome, which is important to me.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #1503 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 1:34am

Timothy Potter wrote on Jan 6th, 2010 at 8:21pm:
walter wrote on Jan 6th, 2010 at 8:02pm:
"...and it didn't come out particularly pretty when you look at it closely."

Without a doubt, that is the prettiest sling I have seen. Ever. Are there instructions for building a sling like that in the Peruvian sling braiding book?

walter

Sling Braiding of the Andes has instruction for the braids, although I had to work out the particular pattern for the 8-strand braid myself, but the book doesn't explain how pouches are made. The 24-strand braid is a lot simpler than it looks, and for me was easier than some of the 16-strand braids I've done.

I've read some in a book my family has on Navajo weaving, so I used what I know of that when I worked out how to make the pouch. The pouch is more wrapped than it is woven. The red and white strands are are interlocked between the warp strands as they are wrapped around, and they switch places for the little checkerboard patterns.

The slings I based this one on can be seen here:

http://www.mcu.es/museos/reddigital/busquedas/motorbusquedas/buscar.jsp?Museo=MA...

just do a objeto search for "honda."

-Timothy Potter

Beautiful stuff yet again Potter!  Cheesy

Next time I make an Andean sling, I'm gonna make it with a thin pouch like your sling has. Cool
(Now I really wanna get that book....)

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

echelon7
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1504 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 4:49pm

Hey Potter could you make a basic tutorial for that? it looks so good and i always love your slings.  the king tut sling if by far my favorite sling to use.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #1505 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 10:58pm

A very beautiful sling, Mr. Potter.

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #1506 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 10:39am

Thanks for encouraging comments!

echelon7 wrote on Jan 7th, 2010 at 4:49pm:
Hey Potter could you make a basic tutorial for that?

I'm not sure how basic a tutorial for this sling would be, what with the different braids and the patterns on the pouch. What I might try to do is make a tutorial for weaving the pouch, and then anyone who knows how to braid can use it in a sling. I've seen several examples of slings like this from Peru, and there are several different braids that I've seen used.

-Timothy Potter

IP Logged

echelon7
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1507 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 4:59pm

i would love an instructional on the pouch. iver never madea sling like that but id love to.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #1508 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 7:51pm

what i really would like is a tutorial on the braids Wink i know only the basic 4 strand and 3 strand as well as whip plaits up to 12 (square braids).

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Slingster
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1509 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 4:37am

This is a sling from Luis Livermore
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:46pm by Slingster »  

Sling_1.jpeg (301 KB | )
Sling_1.jpeg

IP Logged

Slingster
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1510 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 4:43am

The sling is beautiful! When it comes to performance you cant beat it.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #1511 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 12:11pm

wow, how did you come across that?

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Slingster
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1512 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 3:01pm

Luis sells them
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2010 at 5:46pm by Slingster »  

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #1513 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 3:19pm

Slingster wrote on Jan 9th, 2010 at 3:01pm:
Luis hand makes them. This one is to my specification. He's a top chap and aims for customer satisfaction!

How did you get a hold of him, I would like to own one also.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #1514 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 4:43pm

ilovepancakes wrote on Jan 9th, 2010 at 3:19pm:
Slingster wrote on Jan 9th, 2010 at 3:01pm:
Luis hand makes them. This one is to my specification. He's a top chap and aims for customer satisfaction!

How did you get a hold of him, I would like to own one also.

if i where you i'd get 2 and an autograph Wink

maybe a facebook message?

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 517
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy)