Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2232185 times)
Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #1485 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 4:23pm

hybrid_throwback wrote on Dec 30th, 2009 at 10:32am:
"paracord" 6 strand open style

To clear up what I think is a translation issue (of course I can be wrong) paracord is similar to hoochie cord, but I've been told that paracord has a larger diameter. Your sling looks more like it's braided from twisted nylon twine. I love that roo skin sling; the cross-braces are very similar to a design I had stuck in my head, but my braiding skills at the time weren't up to the challenge. Are the leather strips about the same diameter as boot laces?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #1486 - Jan 1st, 2010 at 10:50am

What I call paracord for "convenience" sake here, lots of aussies would call either blind cord (as in, venetian, though it's not quite the same) or comms cord (from communications). Military background families will tend to call it comms cord. Or rather "that fake comms cord", haha.

Comms cord here (traditionally green, very finely woven disposal store stuff) is closest to what Brits and I think Americans call parachute cord. Glad we could clear that up  Shocked

The "paracord"  of mine is about 1.4 the diameter of traditional army comms/para/hootchie cord. It has a core and a mantle of woven outer stuff. Flash in the photo makes it look chunkier than it is. You can burn the ends etc, same as the other kind.Very forgiving and durable.  15kg breaking limit per strand, or thereabouts. Lots of campers and knot-fanatics keep rolls of the stuff.

The rooskin is just from some bodgy thong for a practice on my "final design". It is a couple of mm thicker than my bootlaces, but close. Roo thong is very pliable, extremely strong and great for fine, strong work.  That one is all the same width material throughout.

The spacing is used in a lot of basket and bag weaves here,traps etc.  rooskin has a great ability to "bite" on itself so the twists all basically hold themselves in place under sudden pressure. They do wander around a little bit in your pocket but stays tidy during use. Holds a stone very nicely and folds up very small too. No stitching or anything used.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #1487 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 4:55pm

That last page sort of blew my mind.. there's so much variety there.  Jax, paleo, hybrid, AlwaysSlingin, Jaegoor;  it's all great stuff!  Just on that one page there's months worth of ideas to "borrow."  AlwaysSlingin, Out of the slings that you pictured I like your two toned one the best.  What material did you weave the pouch with?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #1488 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 5:50pm

Here's a tapered seven strand sheep shank sling that I sent to Aussie.  I love the spin this sling puts on a projectile and how easily it blasts some really hard shots.  It's sort of a Cobra without the fangs, with strands dropped out the back to facilitate the taper.  The wooden bead is Aussie's idea.  Nice touch.  I'm going to have to get some big beads from the craft shop and see how they work for me.

S4Sling.jpg (92 KB | )
S4Sling.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #1489 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 5:52pm

The strands are cotton woven using hemp (from ilpc) and whipped with jute.  Here's another view:

S4SlingII.JPG (88 KB | )
S4SlingII.JPG

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #1490 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 12:10am

Very nice RatMan! Something of a  "rough diamond" look.

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #1491 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 7:28am

beautiful, Rat Man!

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #1492 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:52pm

Thanks, guys.  I double the string that I'm weaving with when it's very thin. That's what gives it the rough look.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1493 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 9:13pm

Rat Man wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:52pm:
Thanks, guys.  I double the string that I'm weaving with when it's very thin. That's what gives it the rough look.  

Ah, sorry Rat Man, but I just don't see anything rough look'in there, but do see a very nice look'in sling!

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #1494 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 11:17am

Thanks.  The design is a work in progress.  Each time I make one I think of a way to make the next slightly better.  I've also got something really cool in mind, if it works.  We'll see.

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #1495 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 11:21am

New mongrel six string roo skin sling (try saying that 10 times quickly).

About 65cm,8mm thick or so. very flexible and supple and extremely snappy. 6 strands, around-the-back on the uppermost round braid. Pouch weave is designed to be replaced once in a while if needs be. Excess cord from pouch was very openly (but firmly, and use makes it tighter each time) whipped along the release cord for repairs on the go, and to add weight to the release.

It hangs nice and straight (for all that braiding) and no issues with tangles or reloads. Slippery as a snake.

Treated with homemade preservative polish of native bees wax and macadamia and olive oils (maca is very fine and penetrating, olive lasts longer without being too heavy), polished a little. Will add more coats over time. You just mix half half wax and oil by volume and heat til it's all liquid. stir occasionally as it cools and then rub a little in your hands until it is soft and apply to timber or leather... common stuff around here, some people use european beeswax, much the same properties but maybe "chunkier" and the results are stickier without more buffing.

Works well. Very zippy. Packs down to nothing which is handy.

Oh, and it cracks like a demented pygmie stockwhip which is actually a bit irritating so I will round out the ends on the release knot.

Two hours well spent.

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #1496 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 11:25am

woops. not sure what happened there.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #1497 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 3:03pm

I just noticed that many of the early pictures have vanished. All of the ones on photo bucket. Cry
Maybe someday I will figure out how to post like evryone else

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #1498 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 7:00pm

Here's my latest sling. It's a Peruvian type sling made of wool. The cords are 8-strand square braids, with 24-strand Nazca style braids by the pouch.

I found it rather difficult to decrease from the 24-strand braids to the 8-strand braids. In order to get the thickness I wanted in the cords, I used 3 pieces of yarn for the 8-strand braids, and 2 for the 24-strand braids (except the red strands in the 24-strand braid which were 4 strings thick to give the braid texture). This meant I had to regroup the brown and white strings, and decrease the overall amount of yarn all at once, and it didn't come out particularly pretty when you look at it closely. I'd give a lot to watch a skilled Peruvian sling maker perform the decrease, because I've seen examples that look really clean.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #1499 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 8:02pm

"...and it didn't come out particularly pretty when you look at it closely."

Without a doubt, that is the prettiest sling I have seen. Ever. Are there instructions for building a sling like that in the Peruvian sling braiding book?

walter

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)