Send Topic Print
incendiaries? (Read 4119 times)
kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

incendiaries?
Feb 17th, 2007 at 7:56pm

i was wondering if you guys knew any good incendiaries. i am trying to make a fire arrow. the problem ive run into is that nothing goes up quick enough. ive tried everything i could find in my house, olive oil, cooking oil,mixtures of both. my next attempt will be liquid parafin (lantern fuel)if i dont get some natural things. thanks in advance.

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Re: incendiaries?
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 6:30am

oil may not be the best solution. have you tried with something more sticky? (tar, lard, sth. similar?)

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 6:42am

An other household thing is Candle wax, both the natural bee wax and the modren replacements.
But they only work to make something burn better.

And be carefull where you aim, forrest fires and house burning are not wanted.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 6:46am

cotton wool soaked in petrol.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 5:21pm

There's a way written on http://www.slinging.org/36.html. I haven't tried that.

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

dona eais requiem...

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 6:29pm

ive tried wax. doesn't go up quick enough and smothers itself. drips too.

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 7:20pm

We went camping last week and tried to shoot flaming arrows across a frozen lake in the dark.  Great idea but gas soaked rags on the arrows kept blowing out as the arrow released.  Next time we will try a couple of different mixtures.  Maybe gas soaked rag to get some pitch or slower burning stuff to light.  At -10C you don't want to spent too much time getting something to burn.

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

dona eais requiem...

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 4:01pm

with most of the videos on you tube and similar sites, the flight is really fast. if any of you shoot you will know what this means, i am planning on using a flu-flu (very slow flight bird arrow) and a really light bow. it would give it some air time and maybe it wouldnt go out as quick like monsters arrows.
Monster: did you use normal arrows? i was thinking of making some really shoddy one so it woudnt be much of a loss.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 6:51am

soak your rags in a concentrated solution of potassium nitrate, dry them and then soak them in petrol the nitrate will add extra oxygen to the fire. It'll burn like a basta*d but it shouldn't go out as easily :-)

ps. Get someone else to light the nitrate and petrol soaked rag - unless you have no desire to keep your eyebrows.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2007 at 5:50am by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Monster
Descens

Calgary, Canada
Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 8:47pm

I had some old damaged arrows that didn't fly straight anymore so no loss when they wenting missing.

-Self inflicted wounds don't count for sympathy.&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)