Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greek overhand. (Read 4302 times)
LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Greek overhand.
Feb 17th, 2007 at 5:43am

I just tried some greek overhand indoors using a big rubber eraser and a wet paper ball stuck in a latex glove finger. I can sometimes hit the direction I intended, at least at 5 metres. The sling is short, made for apache throws.  Now, I feel safe and comfortable with this style.  I'm still a novice.

When throwing, I made a 90 degree vertical throw, not diagonal. It's nice, but I don't know the range yet with heavier projectile.... Roll Eyes This can be used in narrow spaces.

Any advice? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Greek overhand.
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 8:26am

I find with the overhand that not only is it the most accurate but due to the spin imparted to the missile you get an unusually flat trajectory (snowballs actually rise due to the spin) anything under 100 yards I tend to use it for. Or if getting close to a target is an issue :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 7:10am

I tried slinging some small unwanted limes. The result is okay for a novice, I don't have someone skilled to compare with.. Sad Some slammed against the wall at maybe 18 metres and broke open. Some even split into two while flying halfway. This style is good for light projectiles. Maximum range is maybe 21 metres apx, just guessing.....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 10:10pm

Just tried a few more throws. The limes managed to get to 30 metres at a slightly curved trajactory, maybe 50 degrees, managed to scare a dog back into its home at that range. Grin A lime split into two directions when thrown at a high trajectory. I think I will do much better with small round stones or golf balls.... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2007 at 11:53pm by LKH9 »  

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 10:45pm

I'm a fan of the greek overhand and what it does.
Just my preference, but I like the short, fast whip motion you can achieve with 'no-windup' throws.
Other than the fig. 8, the G.O. is my best style for accuracy and distance.
My sling is about 2 1/2 ft, 30in, and I can clear a baseball diamond's back fence almost always using the greek overhand and just regular stones. (i.e. slinging home runs. Wink)
If you're interested in more range, this link
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?board=1;action=display;num=1123365044
shows a good vid.
Note how he lets the sling drop a bit before he whips it by his side. Also, he doesn't just sling out to the side, it's also thrown a bit upwards, getting a touch of backspin.  
Of course, you might be already doing this, and don't have any issues, in which case I will proceed to stop monotoning and make way for my betters. Wink

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 12:05am

I practise with the attitude of a combatant.... The throw must be quick before the target runs away.... My sling is about 15", short? I always want to know what is the shortest sling useable, because, some illustration shows a very short sling..... Now, I'm starting to get used to this style. Before, I only want range, now I also want some accuracy... Still a lo-o-ong way to go.....

I hold the sling with both hands held completely up above my head, when ready, I make an overhand throw with the help from the snapping of the elbow. Roll Eyes I don't know if this is the proper greek style, but it works fine for me.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 6:16am

I tried a longer cord, 30". It threw the little lime slightly further, about 35 metres. Cheesy There is a problem with longer slings however. The release cord will touch the ground when released...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 7:18am

the potatoe in the video is actually being slung with a more sideways motion than I would use for overhand. that way is not quite as accurate but will travel further as you can impart a bit of upward lift to the throw.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 8:52pm

i'm a pretty big fan of the greek overhand in fact its the only style i'm really good at Tongue i can Actually hit what i'm aiming at Shocked and that is saying something Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 6:14am

I went to an empty field and slung some round rocks there. All are about the size of a chicken egg. So I tried greek overhand and figure 8. I don't know if I'm doing wrong with the figure 8, the power is about the same as my greek overhand. The greek overhand saves more time and effort to throw, yet there is not much difference..... The rocks went about more than 30 metres at roughly 70 degrees. Huh The sling about 30" long. One stone hit a metal pole and broke into two at about 15 metres. I can't specify the distance....... I just guess. Sad

I hold the sling like the picture here, and then throw vertically, not from the side.

thyton1s.jpg (17 KB | )
thyton1s.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker)