Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Apache slinging. (Read 5511 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Apache slinging.
Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 10:19pm

Never had a problem with using leather strings on my first sling using the apache style.
Experiment and let us know how it goes.

Marc Adkins

Jonas.N wrote on Feb 17th, 2007 at 9:18am:
Thanks guys for your good replies  Smiley

OK, yet one thing: I've made up my mind about this kind of pouch, although I'm not yet sure about the type of string. Forsyth says that ligh and strong strings with minimum air resistance is the best. This creates a bit of problem about this pouch. It appears the strings has to be able to be exposed to wear. Forsyth says that leather strings are ruled out. Yeah, well, I'll have to look for good string material..

Quote:
Posted by: Dale      Posted on: Yesterday at 5:33pm
That pouch design is one of my favorites!  No, it doesn't get tangled.  But the design works best with stiffer leather.  I made one using that design, but of flexible leather (deerskin), and it did not work well at all.

Thanks Dale. The skin I use is 2 to 2½ mm leather from cow. I hope it's stiff enough. What kind of string is that on the picture? Paracord-something? Damn I'm getting sick of trying to find strings in Sweden, as I don't know the faq words for them.

Well, thats for now, got to go.

Jonas

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Jonas.N
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #16 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 1:00pm

Winkleried, I think this is about my experiance as well... The sling I use is quite short and got strings of leather. It is now winter here and it's been a long time since I tried the apache style last. Probably I just made a couple of casts, then used my standard figure-8 throw. Now intend to learn it though. Until I get some good strings, i'll have to go with the leather one.

Yesterday I however pitched a tennis ball for my girlfriends dog. In my opinion such balls are to light with far to little density, so that throws are rgeatly different from casting stones. Anyway out of maybe ten I managed to make one good cast the apache-way. Well, then my fingers where freezing stiff so that I had to go inside to warm them up. Darn Swedish winter.
What I succeded to conclude by this was that the apache casts have to be performed in a somewhat smooth motion. The problem is to achive enough velocity VERY fast. The beginning of the cast is also critical concerning the direction of the first movement. Mr. Forsyth says that the arm is supposed to stay pretty straight during the cast, so I suppose the the twisting of the torso has to be very swift.

Well enough babling. Does anyone have some tips on the exact techninque?

Jonas

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #17 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 9:04pm

best bet for cordage is a hardware store mate go for nylon of about 5mm thickness works for me  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #18 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 9:36pm

Jonas.N wrote on Feb 21st, 2007 at 1:00pm:
Winkleried, I think this is about my experiance as well... The sling I use is quite short and got strings of leather. It is now winter here and it's been a long time since I tried the apache style last. Probably I just made a couple of casts, then used my standard figure-8 throw. Now intend to learn it though. Until I get some good strings, i'll have to go with the leather one.

Yesterday I however pitched a tennis ball for my girlfriends dog. In my opinion such balls are to light with far to little density, so that throws are rgeatly different from casting stones. Anyway out of maybe ten I managed to make one good cast the apache-way. Well, then my fingers where freezing stiff so that I had to go inside to warm them up. Darn Swedish winter.
What I succeded to conclude by this was that the apache casts have to be performed in a somewhat smooth motion. The problem is to achive enough velocity VERY fast. The beginning of the cast is also critical concerning the direction of the first movement. Mr. Forsyth says that the arm is supposed to stay pretty straight during the cast, so I suppose the the twisting of the torso has to be very swift.

Well enough babling. Does anyone have some tips on the exact techninque?

Jonas

You seem to have the basics down pretty well. I think all you need is some more practice and the style will improve as will your accuracy.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #19 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 5:33pm

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/parachute_cord.htm   para cord for those of non usa and usa military history

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #20 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 7:09am

I keep on experimenting with the apache style. I hit the same spot at 5 metres for about 6 times continuosly with my indoors ammo.(a big eraser wrapped in layers of newspaper and a piece of cloth outside, quite heavy) I used all my force to do it, twisting the legs and body while swinging the throwing arm very quickily. But, after that I can't do the same again....

When I found a rotten mandarin orange, I tried to sling it outside, but I can't do the same like indoors....  Huh

I sling in a very crammed place in my house. So, I must use a short sling like this.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man)