Apache slinging. (Read 5509 times)
Jonas.N
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sweden
Apache slinging.
Feb 16th, 2007 at 11:06am

Hi friends.

I've been using various kinds of slinging techniques, but now I want to learn the apache style throw. That is, the overhand throw without any twirles at all. I've tryed using my favourite sling (leather, about 54 cms loop to pouch), which according the the article is a couple of cms short.
http://www.slinging.org/22.html

The thing is that I now want a lighter but slightly longer sling, with a good but small pouch for minimum air resistance. Yet I don't have such good materal available as described in the article, so I'll make my own design. I've been thinking of copying this style pouch:

LoboHunter's design:

The top one of these beautiful slings by Dale:

What do you think, LoboHunter and Dale, about these pouches? I get the feeling that they have a tendency of entangling the stone at reliese. Is it so?

Does anyone have experience of the apache throw? What kind of sling do you use?

Thanks
Jonas

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Apache slinging.
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 11:24am

Hey Nasse,
Apache is one of the throws that I'm working on now. I'm a huge fan of no wind up casts.
My experience witht he apache style is that it works really well with short sling. If you are comfortable with the length of your current sling Use it the extra couple of cm won't make that much of a diffrence.
I don't have it with me but my first sling measured from the center of my chest to my fingertips when my arm is fully extended. this is the length that I am most comfortable with. I have also used the apache style with my Tibetian yak hair sling which is about half as short as my first sling. I spent more time adjusting to the length than i did with the actual cast. I have a sling that i call "brickbat" beacause I designed it to throw really big rocks with it. It also is the length of my the chest to fingertips. Similar performance to the first one.
My last sling is really bleeping long it measures from my fingertips to my far shoulder. Apache style with this sling is problematic due to it having the tendancy to drag the ground. I have to adjust my casting style with this one and it doesn't make it too comfortable to use with this casting style. Now for the "Belini David" sidearm style it's wicked but it is just too long for the Apache style.

Now I'm still working on my accuracy right now and I definately lean towards, within the range that Mr. Forsyth talks about in his article, a shorter sling with this style is definately the way to go.

Let us know how you are doing as you gain expierence.

Marc Adkins

Jonas.N wrote on Feb 16th, 2007 at 11:06am:
Hi friends.

I've been using various kinds of slinging techniques, but now I want to learn the apache style throw. That is, the overhand throw without any twirles at all. I've tryed using my favourite sling (leather, about 54 cms loop to pouch), which according the the article is a couple of cms short.
http://www.slinging.org/22.html

The thing is that I now want a lighter but slightly longer sling, with a good but small pouch for minimum air resistance. Yet I don't have such good materal available as described in the article, so I'll make my own design. I've been thinking of copying this style pouch:

LoboHunter's design:

The top one of these beautiful slings by Dale:

What do you think, LoboHunter and Dale, about these pouches? I get the feeling that they have a tendency of entangling the stone at reliese. Is it so?

Does anyone have experience of the apache throw? What kind of sling do you use?

Thanks
Jonas

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 4:47pm

I don't have tangle probs not sure about dale lol Grin

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 5:33pm

That pouch design is one of my favorites!  No, it doesn't get tangled.  But the design works best with stiffer leather.  I made one using that design, but of flexible leather (deerskin), and it did not work well at all.

I try to do my Apache-style casts, as close as I can to how Forsyth described it.  My sling is  about four inches (ten centimeters) clear of the ground when hanging from my hand.  With a tennis ball, I can now reliably hit my target at about 15 yards (or 15 meters), three times out of ten (the other seven are close, but a miss is a miss).  With a golf ball I can reach farther, but of course I am less accurate.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 8:35pm

He Nasse!
I actually prefer to use a shorter sling when using the apache style throw.
I also use a larger rock than usual so that i may feel the weight of the stone as i sling it. This helps keep the sling taut and the accuracy is greatly increased.
The apache style is also great for pointing at the target at the end so that the rock flies straight.
I'd experiment with different things and find whats comfortable for you.
Good luck! Have fun! and Keep us posted.

IP Logged

Jonas.N
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 9:18am

Thanks guys for your good replies  Smiley

OK, yet one thing: I've made up my mind about this kind of pouch, although I'm not yet sure about the type of string. Forsyth says that ligh and strong strings with minimum air resistance is the best. This creates a bit of problem about this pouch. It appears the strings has to be able to be exposed to wear. Forsyth says that leather strings are ruled out. Yeah, well, I'll have to look for good string material..

Quote:
Posted by: Dale      Posted on: Yesterday at 5:33pm
That pouch design is one of my favorites!  No, it doesn't get tangled.  But the design works best with stiffer leather.  I made one using that design, but of flexible leather (deerskin), and it did not work well at all.

Thanks Dale. The skin I use is 2 to 2½ mm leather from cow. I hope it's stiff enough. What kind of string is that on the picture? Paracord-something? Damn I'm getting sick of trying to find strings in Sweden, as I don't know the faq words for them.

Well, thats for now, got to go.

Jonas

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 11:32am

Paracord?

IP Logged

Jonas.N
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 11:49am

yeah.. first, is that a string? Secondly, what is the main use, what is it made of etc? It seems almost impossible to find proper strings in Sweden. Or maybe it's just me.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 6:06pm

Nasse,
Everyone in Europe gets frustrated trying to find the string under the names they use in America.
But there are loads of kinds of string in Europe that will do the work too.
Start looking in shops where they sell string and rope for sailingboats.
Or try to contact a parachuting school to ask what they use for cords between the parachute and the person below it. Whatever they call it, it will do the job of paracord.
You might even be able to get some leftover string from them, because they will need certain lengths and the left bits might not get used? But that is just a guess as I have never been parachuting.
If you are not concerned about colour there should be a lot of string you can use.

For most purposes, (including many kinds of sling) you can also buy the white braided polysomething cords they sell in many shops all over Europa, I expect also in Sweden.
In Germany they even had it in different colours.
Shops where you buy things for building, camping and household things are good hunting-ground.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 6:10pm

Willeke wrote on Feb 17th, 2007 at 6:06pm:
For most purposes, (including many kinds of sling) you can also buy the white braided polysomething cords they sell in many shops all over Europa, I expect also in Sweden.

Polypropylen rope? I bought 30 meters of that with 2 mm diameter. It keeps getting twisted and it is fraying a lot.

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 6:13pm

me too, what do you mean willeke? I bet we're not talking about the same stuff

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 6:14pm

I would go for the 5 mm version because it is not as easily twisted, but the 2 mm is very good for braided strings.

http://knopen.ismijnhobby.nl/tables/braid_traditional_table.html

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 6:53am

Any camping shop will sell parachord type cord. My local shop calls it general purpose cord. But anything that's suitable for tent guy ropes will do fine for sling strings. And camping shops tend to have a variety as well :-)
Nylon based cord is better than polypropylene as it's that bit tougher. polyprop is quite soft - why it frays.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jonas.N
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 2:35pm

Okay, now I have a good clue where to find good strings. Smiley
If found that the strings used for Venetian blinds (persienna, or what it's called in english, hope you know what I'm talking about), are very strong and durable. I think they might be very good for braided slings.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 3:14pm

They are good, strong enough and rather smooth.
If you tie knots, make sure that they are tightened well, but once they are set they should stay in.

Willeke

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)