Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ancient "Heavy" Slingers vs. more standard ones (Read 3384 times)
wilusa
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Ancient "Heavy" Slingers vs. more standard ones
Feb 15th, 2007 at 2:32pm

I'm not very knowledgeable about slings, but I'm trying to find out if there is a lot of difference (historically - most interested in the near east on this topic actually) in "standard" vs. "heavy" slings and sling motions.  I've been told that Xenophon mentioned "heavy slingers" (as opposed to standard ones) that he encountered among the Persians, but I don't have a citation.  Apparently they were more regularized soldiers and used heavier stones (as much as a pound?) that while they could not be hurled as far did more concussive damage to their targets instead of penetrative damage.  I've also been told they used an underhand motion instead of an overhand one. 

The person who supplied this information is sadly no longer able to be contacted (ah, the internet...), but I was hoping I might attain some enlightenment over here.  Grin

Anyone know much about the differences here? Comparatively speaking, does anyone know what differences in distance, effectiveness, etc. might be?

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Re: Ancient "Heavy" Slingers vs. more standard one
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 3:13pm

my guess would be these were staff slingers... Huh
they can sling much heavier stones (though not so far) and they may have heavier armour as freedom of movements isn't so vital

IP Logged

wilusa
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 8:48pm

In trying to summarize three different types of sling units to a large group of people working on a computer game modification, would these descriptions be fairly accurate then?  (Please let me know if anything seems quite out of the ordinary or what real sling aficionados would question):

1. Standard ("shepherds") Slingers: These are good all ranges. All purpose.  These use small rocks and clay/metal sling bullets and they penetrate well and cause penetration (as opposed to concussion) damage.  In a rock/paper/scissors sort of match, *if* they can get within range they would likely defeat both other types of slingers (heavy and staff) because of their accuracy and reloading quickness. (We have these represented currently quite well, but their stats might need to be tweaked just a little in relation to the others when they are created also.)

2. Heavy Slingers: In an ideal engine, they might be the same as the standard slingers, but we need to represent them with a different unit given the different results I will mention (they have a similar look overall, but with slings a bit longer and sturdier).  The stones they throw are up to a pound in weight, or "fist sized" according to ancient authors.  They don't have nearly as good range as good regular slingers (logically as the bullets are heavier), but they do pack a wallop.  Their impact and concussive force is where they cause the most damage. Xenophon definitely says the Persians have slingers of this type: "For the latter have only a short range because the stones that are used in them are as large as the hand can hold."  Certainly there were more standard slingers in eastern armies, but when Xenophon called the Rhodians up and they used smaller bullets they had a big advantage when it came to these two different types of units.  Though they might get eaten up in a match vs. other regular slingers (if similar numbers meet), they should do better against some types of armored units - when regular slingers can't penetrate a unit with armor and shields from the front, these guys could batter them up a good deal even from the front if they got in there.  Attacks to the rear of an armored unit like phalangites won't be as different, and the regular slingers might have an advantage actually since they reload more quickly and are more accurate.  These heavy slingers would probably have fewer stones also (less ammo) than the standard ones as their stones are heavier. Slightly longer reload times are necessary also (longer than regular slingers as the slings are longer and more prone to tangling: overall just generally not as quick and easy to reload as the regular ones).

3. Staff Slingers: This unit would have more range and definitely more power/velocity, but they are less much less accurate.  They also can have a high trajectory and are good in sieges for this reason, since the stones could go up and over walls and still come down on top of the defenders and cause damage. I've no idea if we have the ability to cause differences in the way this aspect of the missiles work, but I'm stating the basic info here anyway.  The velocity can reach a good deal higher than the others, but since it discharges the stone at a high arc, it can only be used at longer ranges though.  Up close these guys are pretty worthless ("might as well use their staffs" someone said on the slinging.org site).  Both the other two types could whip these guys if they got within range.  They might have similar ammo numbers as the heavy slingers, but they reload even slower.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 8:59pm

Actually I'm not so sure, we have no real documentation of staff slingers until Vegitus and then he was talking about a late era roman army IIRC.
I am leaning toward this actually being light armored troops just using a sling that throws larger stones.
But this is just my opinion your mileage may vary.

Marc Adkins

JustKnot wrote on Feb 15th, 2007 at 3:13pm:
my guess would be these were staff slingers... Huh
they can sling much heavier stones (though not so far) and they may have heavier armour as freedom of movements isn't so vital

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 9:08pm

On the heavy slingers, see my above post. I think these are just troops that had a sling that could throw larger rocks. Thier slings could also use the smaller ammunition of the smaller slings.

As a slinger who also uses the fustibulas (Staff-Sling) range is not increased, rate of fire is actually decreased with the only advantage being a much larger stone can be cast. Angle of fire seems to be lower than that of an underhand cast.

Now if ya wanna get real intresting try factoring in a unit using the cestopheone. Members of this board are definately still in the experimental stages with this particular weapon.

Marc Adkins

wilusa wrote on Feb 15th, 2007 at 8:48pm:
In trying to summarize three different types of sling units to a large group of people working on a computer game modification, would these descriptions be fairly accurate then?  (Please let me know if anything seems quite out of the ordinary or what real sling aficionados would question):

2. Heavy Slingers: In an ideal engine, they might be the same as the standard slingers, but we need to represent them with a different unit given the different results I will mention (they have a similar look overall, but with slings a bit longer and sturdier).  The stones they throw are up to a pound in weight, or "fist sized" according to ancient authors.  They don't have nearly as good range as good regular slingers (logically as the bullets are heavier), but they do pack a wallop.  Their impact and concussive force is where they cause the most damage. Xenophon definitely says the Persians have slingers of this type: "For the latter have only a short range because the stones that are used in them are as large as the hand can hold."  Certainly there were more standard slingers in eastern armies, but when Xenophon called the Rhodians up and they used smaller bullets they had a big advantage when it came to these two different types of units.  Though they might get eaten up in a match vs. other regular slingers (if similar numbers meet), they should do better against some types of armored units - when regular slingers can't penetrate a unit with armor and shields from the front, these guys could batter them up a good deal even from the front if they got in there.  Attacks to the rear of an armored unit like phalangites won't be as different, and the regular slingers might have an advantage actually since they reload more quickly and are more accurate.  These heavy slingers would probably have fewer stones also (less ammo) than the standard ones as their stones are heavier. Slightly longer reload times are necessary also (longer than regular slingers as the slings are longer and more prone to tangling: overall just generally not as quick and easy to reload as the regular ones).

3. Staff Slingers: This unit would have more range and definitely more power/velocity, but they are less much less accurate.  They also can have a high trajectory and are good in sieges for this reason, since the stones could go up and over walls and still come down on top of the defenders and cause damage. I've no idea if we have the ability to cause differences in the way this aspect of the missiles work, but I'm stating the basic info here anyway.  The velocity can reach a good deal higher than the others, but since it discharges the stone at a high arc, it can only be used at longer ranges though.  Up close these guys are pretty worthless ("might as well use their staffs" someone said on the slinging.org site).  Both the other two types could whip these guys if they got within range.  They might have similar ammo numbers as the heavy slingers, but they reload even slower.   

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 3:42am

wilusa wrote on Feb 15th, 2007 at 8:48pm:
These use small rocks and clay/metal sling bullets and they penetrate well and cause penetration (as opposed to concussion) damage.

I guess that only the lead glandes would be able to penetrate. But that is just a guess, I didn't try any penetration tests yet.

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 7:39am

why would you sling heavy stones that dont have good range? smaller stones go much faster, and have penetration (if not killed someone, always chance of inflammation..) Huh

IP Logged

wilusa
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 10:04am

slingwizzy wrote on Feb 16th, 2007 at 7:39am:
why would you sling heavy stones that dont have good range? smaller stones go much faster, and have penetration (if not killed someone, always chance of inflammation..) Huh

Would larger stones not do more damage against armored and "beshielded" (can't think of the right word  Cheesy) units/soldiers?  Regular slingers don't have a lot of effectiveness in our game straight on against hoplites or such (unless you can get them around on the sides or back of the unit, then they can do a lot of damage).  I would think that is the way the Persians were having some success against Xenophon's soliders - they were hurling fist sized stones at them, and even with their armor and helmets and shields they were causing serious problems.

BTW, thanks winkleried for straightening me out on the distance problem (I had said staff slingers had a greater range) - that definitely helps.

On those staff slings, does anyone know where their origins were?  The earliest mention I've seen of them was the Duncan Head reference to the Punic Wars, but where did they originate?  Also I'm trying to find a Greek name for them, but not having any luck.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 11:29am

I can see defensive uses here, Like during a siege having the defenders using larger rocks as the attackers advanced towoards the defensive position. I have a couple of articles on Iron age sieges in britian at home. they are also mentioned in the textual resources on the homepage, I'll reread them when i get home tonight and post some of the more pertinant portions.

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 11:32am

Fustibulas (sp?) is the latin name for the staff sling.  I on't have any references for any greek name. I don't even think they were used by the greek.
If you can post the full reference of thier use during the Punic wars there are several scholars here that would be thankfull.

Crud gotta get back to work now, I'll continue this thread later on

Marc Adkins

wilusa wrote on Feb 16th, 2007 at 10:04am:

Would larger stones not do more damage against armored and "beshielded" (can't think of the right word  Cheesy) units/soldiers?  Regular slingers don't have a lot of effectiveness in our game straight on against hoplites or such (unless you can get them around on the sides or back of the unit, then they can do a lot of damage).  I would think that is the way the Persians were having some success against Xenophon's soliders - they were hurling fist sized stones at them, and even with their armor and helmets and shields they were causing serious problems.

BTW, thanks winkleried for straightening me out on the distance problem (I had said staff slingers had a greater range) - that definitely helps.

On those staff slings, does anyone know where their origins were?  The earliest mention I've seen of them was the Duncan Head reference to the Punic Wars, but where did they originate?  Also I'm trying to find a Greek name for them, but not having any luck.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 11:43am

i think staff slings are more used in sieges and possible naval combats, than in field-combat. (i may be wrong)
give an option to heavy slingers to use smaller ammo too, and act like "shepherd" slingers in terms of range and damage.

i think lead glands could penetrate heavy armor, but wouldn't be usefull against shields, while fist sized rocks surely work against both, but at a shorter range.

if slingers have to do some melee demage, than give them knives or clubs. whipping out with a sling won't do much good, but hitting someone with a staffsling might.

staffslings have their projectile trajectory set in the different lenght of their cords, and can not be quickly adjusted, but with a normal sling you can allways choose when to release Wink

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 1:20pm

Possibly, One of the things to keep in mind that in wartime it's not aimed fire that you want ( at least most of the time). What you as a comander want is for as many missles to get into the air as possible. Basicly a massed volley fire. as the hundreds of mislles rain down on your opponent they are going to find thier ways into the chinks of the armor and do damage.

During the ages where slings were an effective military weapon most troops were not using cap-a-pie steel armor of the late rennasance. Most were lucky to get a shield. Even the most heavily armored hoplites during the greek period appear to wear nothing more than a bronze breastplate, a bronze helment and bronze greaves. Any of the grecian reenacters reading this can feel free to enlighten me otherwise.  a large hail of rocks coming down on this type of armor is definately going to do some damage. But the key is high angle massed fire while the shields are pointing ahead at the other phalanx's spears. The other key is the metal used during this period was bronze not steel.

Marc Adkins

[quote author=wilusa link=1171567924/0#7 date=1171638259Would larger stones not do more damage against armored and "beshielded" (can't think of the right word  Cheesy) units/soldiers?  Regular slingers don't have a lot of effectiveness in our game straight on against hoplites or such (unless you can get them around on the sides or back of the unit, then they can do a lot of damage).  I would think that is the way the Persians were having some success against Xenophon's soliders - they were hurling fist sized stones at them, and even with their armor and helmets and shields they were causing serious problems.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 12:21pm

ok, big stones deliver more impact, but why sling them, if you can throw them as far without sling/staffsling? big stones deliver great impact, but it comes with bigger surface where it lands... it may give a big "klonk" on the shield but thats all, i think.
---Winkleried said that they didnt had armor in the sling-time, but i think they at least would have had a wooden shield. even the vikings had them. though a simple wooden shield can stop big stones, then it would give you a broken arm or something like that. but the smaller ones go through it, mate! I have cracked big branches form a tree with my sling...---

for the staffsling, you can use it as quarterstaff...

on the other hand small stones can be thrown very fast and with good range. if the enemy is closer than 50m, why would you try to sling a stone of half a kilo? when the time you have good wind-up they are holding their axes high in the sky to let it splice your head.

but then you would say; "what if your in a castle?" well quite simple, you empty the pot of boiling oil. Fry those critters Cheesy or (if you dont have oil, cause the lady made you some french fries yesterday) roll the stones from the tower or throw burning sticks Grin

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 5:28pm

shields were not made of one piece of thick wooden planck. they were made of 4 layers, wich were made by glueing small, thin pieces of wood, and layers were rotated (relative to each-other), so that hey are harder to cut trough.
(roman large shields)

i don't belive smaller stones could penetrate that. there is a big difference between green/wer wood, and worked one, and between thick piece, and glued together smaller pieces.
they wouldn't carry them if they were totally useless.

now, a hail of small stones couldn't penetrate, or shatter the shield, but a hail of large ones surely could. if one stone can't brake your shield, more of them probably can. of they can't they can batter it and make a hole in your defense, or they could just break your arm with the impact.

leather armor would be much more common than bronze one, and both of them are better at stopping blunt hiths than slashing/penetrateing ones, at least untill that stone is simply too large so that nothing helps against it.

don't underrestimate usability of simple, crude and brute force.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 9:48am

glueing pieces of wood as layers.... sounds like plywood. im sure someone have posted pictures of stones penetrating through plywood, I just cant find them. I am 100% sure there are.

but still, my opinion is that big stones dont do good in combat. they may do a lot of damage, even at shields. Small stones simply do have better range/damage-ratio.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker)