Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hello from the north bay (Read 1988 times)
citizen14
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

North bay california.
hello from the north bay
Feb 8th, 2007 at 2:54pm

I have been interested in various weapons of an unusual nature for years but have really no experience with slinging however i would really like to learn all that i am able to.  any help or info would be very appriciated.  Heck i do not even know where to get, or how to make a sling... Undecided

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: hello from the north bay
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 4:58pm

Welcome to slinging.org!  Cheesy

I started with the informations at http://www.slinging.org/articles.html. I built my first sling following the instructions at http://www.slinging.org/20.html, it took me half a day. A simpler way is shown at http://www.slinging.org/42.html. If you'd like a closed pouch you might just use tape on the last instructions.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 8:52pm

Welcome, indeed!  Weapons of an unusual nature, eh?  That's us, for sure.

Here is another link to
detailed instructions
for making a sling from any sort of cord, and tape (the author uses medical tape, but duct tape also works very well).

And here are a couple of
techniques
to start off with, with videos so you can see how it is done.

Or if you have ever played baseball, you can try this technique: Stand like you were going to throw the ball, with the sling in your throwing hand (your right hand, I assume).  Spin the sling slowly overhead, so that the sling passes in front of you from right to left (reverse this if you are left-handed).  Get a feel for where the sling pouch is, and when it is directly behind your head, whip your arm forward just as if you were throwing a ball, and release the sling cord when you would let go of the ball.  It is amazing, especially if your sling reaches from your hand to the middle of your chest.  The timing seems to just work out so that the ball will go pretty much toward where you are aiming.

Please use tennis balls, when you are learning.  Even though David Taylor's techniques, and the technique I described, work well, mistakes happen when you are learning a new skill.  Tennis balls don't hurt as much when you drop one on your own head.  I speak from experience!  If it had been a stone, I would not BE here to speak...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:29am

Welcome again,

I strongly agree with everything Dale has said. In fact I sent you a PM which is almost a duplicate before I had read it. Your sling is in the mail and juding from previous experience will arrive in about a week.

Regards,   Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:53pm

Wow, did you  ever come to the right place. I think this is going to be the start of a beautiful relationship. Enjoy Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

citizen14
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

North bay california.
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 11:34am

Thank all of you for your time in pointing me into a good direction!

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 4:42pm

welcome, i hope you get very skilled at all ancient weapons

IP Logged

FreeSlinger
Tiro

Sling the State Away

Central Valley, California
Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:00pm

I'm beginning to think we should hold a California Slinging Gathering. We've got lots of folks interested out here!

I will never be less than free.
anarchopunk17  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)