Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Re: Accuracy standard
Reply #30 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 12:48pm

FunSlinger wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 1:37am:
ArizonaSlinger wrote on Feb 8th, 2007 at 1:43pm:
This accuracy standard of which I am proposing shows that I favor the sling as a defensive weapon to be engaged at assailants (human or animal) 100 meters away. When your enemy is 100 meters away, you have lots of options.

This is not feasible at all, in my opinion. Animal at 100 yards, sure...take a shot a it...maybe miss, maybe not (if you are good enough) especially if it doesn't see you. But an "assailant"?? An enemy? Maybe my understanding of the word assailant is off, but at 100 yards, or any range to speak of, for an "assailant" to be a threat is for them to see me and be coming after me. And if they see me, there is no way that anyone I know or myself could sling a shot at a person (Enemy!) 100 yards away whom is not going to be sitting still. Maybe my understanding of the scenario is all messed up but it all seems too unlikely.

there is a rule for a standard at least two people have to agree other wise it,s just a opinon like most of what i say on here lol

All that being said, I do like the idea of coming up with accuracy standards. Yours sounds good for "medium range" standard. The good thing about standards is that anyone can establish one...and often do, especially if others agree to it. I'm unnaware of any rule or universal law which states that it takes a certain number of people to establish a "standard".

I would be interested in establishing a long-distance accuracy standard based on how many times a person can sling their ammo-of-choice into a 1 yard (roughly 1 meter/metre) circle on the ground at 250 yards from a horizontal vantage point with respect to the 'target', using any sling style and sling technique they prefer.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #31 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 7:25am

FunSlinger wrote on Feb 12th, 2007 at 2:54pm:
lobo, you have your Attack Attack Attack!!!comments mixed  into the Sling them out!!! quote from  me just now and looking like you quoted the whole Kill them all!! thing from me.   Huh Don't you want to take credit for the No prisoners!!!  bit that comes from you?  Cool

True Fun slinger, it can be confusing when people do that.  I agree that the main thing is getting a stone from a to b but also think that any extra data could be useful when it comes to designing slings, so equally confusingly I agree all round and don't take an either/or position.  I also like sv's ideas for an accuracy standard yet still think degree of accuracy could blend in to it somewhere as it could be applied to any range and any target, useful as we all have differant ranges, both with respect to where and how far we are capable of throwing.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #32 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 3:16pm

lol oop's

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #33 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 6:10pm

Gunonwheels... i.e.civil war cannons and other assorted artillery.  The cannons always shoot point blank into targets of various sort for accuracy (windage and elevation).  The bowling ball mortars (yes you read correctly) fire at extreme elevation and fire for height (subjective), distance and strike (the target is placed on the ground and consists of a circle of xx feet in diameter).  That being said... slinging in my experience is of two distinct varieties... 1)indirect siege casting for extreme range (usually anything over 50 yards/meters).  The second is direct, point blank fire and requires a slinger to be quicker than the archer, quicker or farther away than the spear chucker, able to be laughingly close to a swordsman and as deadly at point blank fire as a David.  David could dance away from Goliath's spear and stay back from his sword.  I have to believe Goliath was petrified with fear when he saw the TYPE of warrior coming to face him.   Back to Accuracy standard for any "meet" type competitions.

Siege casting.    Distance and accuracy similar to mortar targets work... however artifical ponds allow instant visual feedback of strikes.  One can start with wading pools and go from there.

For point blank, another instant feedback target would be preferred.  I had a friend who shot his cannon at two gallon bleach bottles filled with water.  GREAT feedback for a hit (gasoline fill with a lit candle behind it is also rather spectacular).  Firearm Silhouette shooters got tired of punching holes in targets so make em out of steel and get one shot per each to knock them over.  Hit and wiggle em and you score a zero... got to knock it over.  For point blank slinging water-balloons hanging either self supported or netted make great sling targets.  Again a hit without rupture is a no score.

Water balloon wars using a water based paint solution for fill also works well for team "warfare" competitions.  Referees are still needed to score "out of action"'s (how well painted you are).

Silhouette shooters have "range" type competitions as well as "field" competitions (engaging and dropping targets in field type conditions).

I guess what I'm saying is one size does not fit all... especially for a slinger of moderate skill and understanding of the weapons versitile use.

George N

IP Logged

1srelluc
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 1:09am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1170954522/0#14 date=1171020767][quote]I think its quite far for the slingers who are active on this forum,[/quote]

speak for yourself mate. From the first time I picked up a sling 100 yards was a low average.
The sheer distance you can sling stuff was my main attraction. what are you doing that you can't get 100 yards ?[/quote]

+1   I can hit the mouth af a spring across the river from my bank on a regular basis with a river rock. Its way over 100yds. Quite frankly its easier for me to do that than hitting a soda can at 25yds. I like to chase the Canada geese around with my sling and hopefully away from my property. I haven't hit a goose yet though its not for lack of trying! Filthy damn things. I have the game wardens permission to shoot them but heck I would rather just sling at them across the river. More fun.

IP Logged

don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Reply #35 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 1:48pm

Quote:
Some of you guys are still unbelievers!
1m at 100 sounds worse than it is. I bet some of you would be shocked given the chance. Of course finding a safe 100m range is another problem alltogether. My suggestion (cue broken record noises) is one of these:

At say... 45m?  The metal circle scores double. Anyone who haven't read through the Federacio Balear de Tir de Fona's webpages (lately) should really do so. Lots of photos from organised competition, as well as good records from past events. A perfectly reasonable accuracy standard, and one that the tennis-ball types can play too.

Matthias

First, let me say, that I agree with, Matthias.  The Spaniards have set the standard already.

Accuracy at/with distance.  In ancient times, if I had a Company of slingers (120 men) that could hurl stones out to 300m, I'd have them hold their fire until the onslaughting enemy reached the 'kill zone', then give the command to fire.  Those of you familiar with the 'beaten zone' of modern MG fire easily recognize the same effect of each type of weapon.  With 120 projectiles hitting the killzone at the same time, one doesn't have to be accurate, just strong and skilled enough to get the glandes to rain down onto the skulls of the enemy.

btw: all my distance shots resemble the tradjectory of mortar rounds, nothing flat.

EDIT:  Military formula: whenever firing down-range at an enemy--always, always...its "P" for Plenty.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2007 at 8:52am by don1 »  

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Morphy)