Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Accuracy standard (Read 8681 times)
ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Accuracy standard
Feb 8th, 2007 at 12:08pm

What do you guys think of the following accuracy standard?

Accuracy= the number of hits of a 1 meter diameter target at 100 meters range out of 20 shots. Ground bounces are not included as hits. Shooting range should not be on a slope.

I like this standard, because it is a good balance between extreme range and point-blank range.  It is on the longish side, but the sling IS known as a long distance weapon.  A 1 meter diameter target is a size that is on order of magnitude of being the same size as a someone's personal space:)  Predatory animals (including people) and scavengers would probably scatter if rocks were missing them by less than a meter.  I know I would scatter too, Smiley

I would probably consistently score 1/20 or lower. I don't think I can do better than that at that range unless I have uniform ammo.

I want to get to the point where I can get 10/20.  Are any of you at that level?  If so, I want to learn from you.

Arizona-Slinger

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Accuracy standard
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 12:49pm

I think 100 meter is way to far, for me.  Roll Eyes
Normal conditions and my normal ammo I reach 30 meters.
For any accuracy I aim at 15 meters at most.
I sling in a park, or on a field left fallow where people walk dogs, no way I can assure that there are no dogs within range.

I think only a few people here on the site would even train on 100 meter.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 12:56pm

yep same here i train on accuracy on about 10 15 meters thats More then far enough to stay out of trouble most of the time and be a Big threat...speaking like a hunter that is..(not that i ever hunted but i guess thats beyond the point  Tongue)

Taiki  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 1:03pm

"A bit on the longish side" is right!  I cannot yet sling for accuracy and distance at the same time.  For accuracy, I'm slinging at no more than 30 yards (or 30 meters, just a bit longer).  I like your idea as a goal to shoot for, but it will take me a couple more years to get there, I think.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 1:43pm

This accuracy standard of which I am proposing shows that I favor the sling as a defensive weapon to be engaged at assailants (human or animal) 100 meters away. When your enemy is 100 meters away, you have lots of options. One of your options is that you can reload and shoot again if your first shot missed (or run).  I don’t think anyone here can shoot more than twice at an assailant that is closing in fast from 50 meters.  100 meters is a better distance in my opinion. If an assailant is 50 meters away, and closing fast, I will start looking for a stout stick.

Here’s a nightmare scenario that turns out okay:

You are hiking alone in remote area and you come across marijuana “garden”  that is nearly ready for harvest (don’t ask me how you can tell when it is ready for harvest, because I don’t know). Well you get a bad feeling so you start to turn around to leave. Before you do however you see two guys on the other end of the “garden” about 100 meters away. They gesture as if they would like you to come closer so they can “talk” to you. You hesitate for a moment so you can read their body language and assess the situation. During this brief moment of hesitation the men drop what they are doing and they start to stride purposefully towards you. You’re feeling of foreboding increases and you know the men mean to do you harm.  You know how it will go down.  First the men will “ask you for directions", as an excuse for them to get close enough to find out you are alone and to find out if you are weak. Then they will try to work you into a confrontation in order to give themselves the emotional energy it takes to kill a person.  Then they will kill you.

Your friend is distance.  Right now you have 100 meters of it.  So you gesture dismissively at the men, in a manner that says, “I don’t want to talk to you,” Stay away”.  So you finish turning around and start to retrace your path back to your car, friends, or wherever you feel safe.  As you do, you check over your shoulder and you see the men start to hurry towards you and they yell at you to wait. You yell back, “Back off!  Then the men start running at you at full speed.  Up until now you merely had a bad feeling. Now their intentions are clear. They are coming at you in a manner that cannot be interpreted as anything other than an attack. You still have approximately 100 meters between you and them. So you sling a stone at them.  The stone was already loaded in the sling. You shoot low and hard.  Your hurried shot has a flat trajectory and it covers the 100 meters quickly, but it skips into the ground and ricochets alarmingly close to the men and their shins. In fact the men had to sidestep for all they were worth in order to dodge the missile, nearly stumbling in their efforts to avoid the threat. But you don’t wait to see what happens.  You change your direction by 30 degrees, hoping that the men don’t notice your new course. You begin moving fast and low, hoping the foliage will conceal your position. This works for a few seconds, and then you hear a shout and you know that you’ve been seen again. You then bend your course so that it takes you to where the foliage will not interfere with you next shot.  As you do, you let one rip. It only takes a moment and you didn’t even have to stop, because you had reloaded during your previous flight.  This one is a complete miss.  By now the men have separated some distance apart (with the intent to flank you) and their new position relative to each other caused you to misjudge their location.  So the stone harmlessly flies between them. But you still have 100 meters of distance. You then decide to run towards the setting sun. You change course by degrees a little at a time until you are running west. You know that this will make it impossible to see your incoming stones.  Each time you get a chance you let a rock fly at your assailants. Because of your speed, the men were not able to flank you and thus they have resumed running abreast of each other.  You see a place ahead that looks good for slinging (no foliage to tangle your line and the ground is level). You put a 100 gram rock into your sling and you send a killing shot into the head of one of the trailing men. The other assailant stops abruptly. You raise your sling in posture that shows you’re ready to let another one fly, but there is no need, the man turns and runs off.

You find out later that the man you killed had a handgun.  Because handgun accuracy at a 100 meters is a chancy thing (especially at a running target), you conclude that his intention was to wait until he was close enough to get a killing shot at you. He knew that firing the gun would draw unwanted attention.  He couldn’t afford to fire the gun and miss, because if you got a way, the police would come down on him hard.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 2:54pm

okay - umm, are mari-ju-arna gardens plentiful where you live then ?
And if they'd been smoking the product could they really be arsed to chase you ? :-)

1 metre at 100 yards.
yeah 1 in 20 for an actual hit might be about right. I suppose if I'm slinging at a big tree I could hit the one tree at 100 yards, mostly I just scare it lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Red Squirrel
Descens

A.K.A BritishandProud

U.K/G.B
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 3:08pm

I can sort of see what you mean dale, always good to know you could if you needed to. not that i could, don't get enough practice Sad
still, must agree with curious aardvark if they're pot heads their not running unless it's away due to paranoia! Grin

"To be. or not to be- that is the question:&& Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer&& The slings and arrows of outrageous&&fortune&& Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,&& And by opposing end them?"&& Hamlet 3i, Shakespeare&&&&    Lux et Umbra Vicissim sed Semper Amor&&&&"...Work is the scourge of the drinking classes..." Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 3:39pm

o.k that went a little weird
acuracy standard say a two liter pop bottle at 20 meters
reailty folks reailty

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 3:42pm

Hey, love the story!   Cheesy
Where I live, one house on every street is a grow-op.
That means...................Lots of targets!  Roll Eyes
Hmmm, killing with a sling....that would definitely throw the spotlight on the old rock hucker. Tongue

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 3:44pm

I think its quite far for the slingers who are active on this forum, but its a good standard for real slingers. Im not saying i can do better, probably i will miss 20 times... but the sling-shepherds that use the sling a lot, and with the intention to NOT kill their sheep would certainly hit the square meter 15/20. Also for the people that arent real good, its no good standard, just because of you have only 20 stones to sling at your target.
so all in all, good standard for good slingers, but useless for others

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 1:28am

Grin

Good story.

I think the pot-heads were seeing everything in slow motion lol.

I sortoff like the 100m idea. However, if an asailant was running full tilt, he would most likely cover this distance in about 15-20 seconds wich will give you chance for how many shots? You would also be slinging at moving targets with inconsistant ammo.

Personally, I would rather be accurate at 100m than 30m. I aleady like long distance slinging so I will put this idea to practice this weekend at the golf driving range and see how well I fare. Now I am feeling exited.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 2:14am

Great idea to introdue an accuracy standard, but why stop at one distance? I like to shoot at relatively short distance.

What about 20 shots at 20 metres at a 30 cm (12") target with 3 sighting shots first? Then a middle distance round of 20 shots at 50 metres at a 60 cm (24") target, and the previously suggested long distance 20 shots at 100 metres at 1 metre target.

However I hope that any scenarios where slings are used as defence against human assailants are only ever hypotheticals, especially where deaths are involved. Slinging is for fun!

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 3:14am

Korean archers have a similar standard.  I believe theirs is 188 yard and 5 shots.  i forgot how big their target was.  Their theory is if you can hit the target 5 out of 5 at that distance then you can call yourself a master.  Doesn't mean you don't pratice other distances, but that's how they compare their level of mastery.  And they are by far the best archers in the world.

I like it Smiley.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:32am

[quote]I think its quite far for the slingers who are active on this forum,[/quote]

speak for yourself mate. From the first time I picked up a sling 100 yards was a low average.
The sheer distance you can sling stuff was my main attraction. what are you doing that you can't get 100 yards ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 9:38am

I use a very short sling, but seriously I dont think most people are accurate in even 5 square meter at 100 meter Huh if so, I'm sorry for my fast judging Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)