Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Knotty sling tutorial (Read 29141 times)
JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Knotty sling tutorial
Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:03pm

So, here it comes, my first tutorial on knots, slings and anything else... Please don't hit me hard Smiley

1. Get some cord, I prefer 1.5-2mm nylon, 4 pieces - each around your desired sling length, but add some (maybe a foot or two) for working ends and finger loop and 5th for pouch (~1-1.5m but you shouldn't count on me because some like shorter pouches).

2. Braid like this or any style you like (BTW the startup arrange of colors will give you different pattern - if you arrange different colours on each side you'll get spiral, if same - stripes):

3. When you've got enough length to make a loop arrange all nicely, and for few moves braid with 8 strands, then just leave the short ones alone and continue as before (personally I like splicing in this place because I can arrange strands to look neat and tension each separately to give smooth surface with no bumps and/or wrinkles):

4. When you reach point where your pouch should begin, tie a wall knot:

5. Arrange these 4 pouch strands like this:

6. Tie another wall knot and proceed braiding till you get enough length for release cord (at the very end I braid with a loop on my finger and the sling around something so I don't miss the point where to stop)

7. Release knot... Tie anything you like, but I prefer Matthew Walker with a wall knot under it to arrange strands for MW nicely:

8. THE POUCH... I hope the pics ar self explanatory, if not, go for Turks Head instructions and come back when you've got it right Tongue

9. While going to another side of pouch try to keep [Under 1, Over 1] pattern, otherwise it may get quiet messy:

10. When done with weaving - start doubling (or even tripling, but I don't recommend that, unless you got thick or hard rope or made your pouch quiet tight):

11. While doubling, start following other 4 cords first, and follow the 5th cord itself when all other are already doubled. When you are done with that just tie a reef knot, tighten it well and fuse the ends as close to the knot as possible without burning the knot itself, and leave small beads of molten plastic so it won't get undone (I wait a till they cool a bit and then tap them to stick to the knot).
Cut and fuse like that all other ends and hooray, the sling is finished (and my tutorial too Smiley):

Oops... a mistake Roll Eyes... There is different number of bights (waves) on each side of pouch split...

Hehe... Now I've got the shortest sling  of all Tongue And you know what, it is good not only for slinging Grin Wink

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007 at 4:33pm by JustKnot »  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Knotty sling tutorial
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:08pm

that is a Very intresting sling you have there justknot i Have to try that Shocked

on a totally unrelated note who's that posing the sling as a choker ? Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:12pm

My brothers girl
It wasn't easy to make her pose with sling, but somehow she agreed Smiley

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:13pm

i wonder why it suits her  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:41pm

Valentine's day is coming up! Roll Eyes

Thanks Justknot.  The instructions are really clear! Good job!

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:54pm

They are also done very well from a knottyers point of view.
You should post this tut on KHWW as well.
First time I have seen a TH mixed with braiding this way.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 8:23pm

Praise from Willeke on knot-tying is to be especially valued.

Very good job.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 12:50pm

Nice,
This really needs to be in the Articles section

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 1:02pm

Tint wrote on Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:41pm:
Valentine's day is coming up! Roll Eyes

Thanks Justknot.  The instructions are really clear! Good job!

Very good job,
If my wife will actually wear it I'm thinking about making her one in her favorite colors for valentines day and a few days later our 10th wedding anniversary.
Another possible use it looks like you could use it as a helmet chinstrap for those of us into historical combat reenactment

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 5:05am

Thanks for such a positive feedback

Quote:
If my wife will actually wear it I'm thinking about making her one in her favorite colors for valentines day and a few days later our 10th wedding anniversary.

Maybe I should start series of sling jewellery and accessories Grin

BTW Willeke, how do you post tut's to KHWW, should I send it for Bud?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 5:10am

Nils, I think is better.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 1:47pm

I really like this design. How much cord do you think it would take to make a longer sling?? say one about  36 to 42 inches total???

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 4:59pm

bigkahuna wrote on Feb 4th, 2007 at 1:47pm:
I really like this design. How much cord do you think it would take to make a longer sling?? say one about  36 to 42 inches total???

The loss due the braid is not big, just around 10-15%, + add some to work with - maybe a foot...
For a sling around 75cm (folded) I took pieces of cord each 2 meters (except for pouch, which I think was maybe around 1.2m)
Good luck Wink

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 4:24pm

And I thought I did that first... oh well, I guess I'll have to switch for micro slings and teach squirells to sling Grin

And sorry for big pics... But you know... if you buy 22" screen these will fit Wink Cheesy

EDIT: maybe in two weeks when (if) I'll be back I'll add the full pouch tut to this

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 9:17am

I just found this lurking in an old stash of bookmarks. I think it deserves to be seen again  Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker)