Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
help! - How to make a net? (Read 8965 times)
lololololol
Tiro

help! - How to make a net?
Feb 1st, 2007 at 8:46pm

I'm looking for instructions or a tutorial on how to make a net.. either for fishing or combat or utility purposes.. not sure of the ultimate purpose yet, I'd just like to know how to do it.

So far all I've been able to find are these:

http://www.bertaut.com/netmaking.html
http://www.finniwig.com/netinst.htm

I'm looking for something a little more detailed, better pictures and with a more complete project goal.  So far I've found some good things to look for are:

netting, hammock, net, fishing net

plus one of these:

tutorial, how to, make, build, instructions

Still haven't found anything that I really like all that much.. just figured maybe you guys would know of something - most preferably entirely online and with lots of pictures =)

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: help! - How to make a net?
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 10:54pm

Boy do I know netmaking...

That first link is golden! Making a net is really two steps, making the meshes, which is covered very well in the pics from the link, and deciding what to do with them. In the "old days" the twine would be netted in place, a bit like knitting. Today, everyone uses machine made net, but the basic assembly is the same. There is a bit of math and a lot of common sense seciding how to lay things out, but basically, you're talking about clove hitches and lashings.

What do you want to make? A dip net is just a tube, either worked in a circle, or seamed and closed at the bottom. A seine is just a big sheet of netting with floats on the top and weights on the bottom. Tennis nets are just regular net hung "square"...

This one can swallow a city block...

Matthias

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 11:44am

How about a circular roman throwing net ?
Anyone ever made one of those ?

And matthias - where's your netmaking limerick then :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 12:47pm

A throwing net is just a cast net, maybe made with a bit heavier materials. In the movies the gladiator types usually have nasty hooked weights, but it would probably be much more effective with a plain edge. A cast net, or any other circular net is just a length of twine with a whole pile of half hitches! You'll have to work increases in if you want to do the job right, which is a bit harder than making a square net, but other than that? If you want to try something like this, practice making a small square section first to get the motions down, then spend some time to make a decent support frame. If it's for people, (or starlings, pigeons Wink) I'd start with a relatively big hoop (top of a plastic paint pail?) and then once the outside was done come back and fill the hole - much easier than working from a point.

Great set of instructions at the same website:

http://www.bertaut.com/castnet.html

Now I want one...

Matthias

IP Logged

lololololol
Tiro

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 2:57pm

hm.. well i guess i didnt think about it all that much.  i guess there really isn't much more to it is there?

any tricks to using the gage stick?  doesn't seem like it wolud stay in place very easy or be that accurate.  is it just mostly a close-estimate stick?

and shuttles.. where do you buy those?  i cant seem to find much on ebay.. actually.. nothing at all.  maybe i should just make my own?

i guess now i need to figure out what i kind of net i want to make.  im thinking i want something small at first.. so something i could carry stuff around in.  or maybe a hammock for my cat.  he'd probably tear that up kinda quick though wouldn't he?  i dont think i could do the small enough to be comfortable for him anyway.

ok ive decided. ill make something that i can use to carry things in.  maybe just about big enough to hold about three bath towels.  im thinking the best way to start would be to make it like the dip net and then remove it from the tube when im finished.  what do you think?  any recommendations on what to use for the temporary tube?

IP Logged

lololololol
Tiro

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 3:03pm

another good link: http://www.wedcraft.com/netting.html

the pdf's on that page are particularly well illustrated.

http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/net-1.html ; good illustrations with instructions on how to fill the shuttle.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 3:38pm

The gage stick works pretty well. It ends up being supported by the completed meshes, and isn't anywhere near as awkward in practice as it looks in the photos. Meshes should come out very close to one another - like knitting, most of the variation will be due to tension changes as you work faster or slower, stop, correct mistakes etc. Once you get into a rythm everything works out very even. ou can skip the stick as well and just johnny-eyeball the size, but it does help, and it gives you something to snug the knotup against as well. it should be sort of lens-shaped in cross-section.

Shuttles - if you live near the ocean, you can probably find one in a marine store, particularily if they cater to commercial fishermen. Modern ones are plastic, and the most common ones look a bit like an "I" beam with one end sprung closed.

Relatively easy to make one of the traditional type : 1/4" straight grain hardwood, cut to shape and given a good sanding.

I started a vegetable shopping bag over christmas, but I was cheating and using machine made net. For a first project I'd make it shaped like a pillowcase instead of making a round one. Make a rectangle of netting and fold it over, seaming the side and bottom. A braided or rope edge and handles on the top.

Starting with a cut piece of net, you can clean the top and bottom edges back to single loops by removing the extra knots. You can then join two pieces of net along that edge by netting in a joining row, making for an invisible seam. If you make a vertical cut, you expose the ends of the back and forth strings, and the best you can do is gather a mesh or two and bind the edge together. (I hope this is making even a little sense) If you are careful designing your bag, it's possible to make the whole thing without any cut ends...

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 4:42pm

I missed this topic so far, and it has run almost a day already. You can't take time to have dinner with your parents anymore  Wink

There are a few online netting supply shops, but I have no experience with any of them, so google and search for a fairly local one if you want to buy netting needles.
If you are in England I have an e-mail address of the shop I buy my needles.

For a net to transport things I would make a tube with one closed end, string a cord through the other end, knot the ends of the cord, and there it is.

As a beginner it might be easiest to make a piece of net that is basicly square or rectangular and sew that together. But once you are familiar with the basic netting knots you can make one in one go.
Make 6 to 12 loops on a string, tie that into a small loop and attach the end of the string to a hook or other fixed point.
Now make 2 mesh in each mesh, (that is double the amount of loops,) when you come back to your starting-point you can either tie a netting knot or an overhand knot in the first mesh of your base row, and an other overhand knot in the bottom of the first loop of the second row, and such make a neat row each time, or you can ignore the transition and just work on, this is a little hard in the first few rows but makes work easier in the body of the bag.
I often double the amount of mesh twice at the start of the net and then do a couple of rows with just one mesh in each of the row below.
When you spread the net it should lay flat on the table but there need not be extra space.
You can work on till your net starts not laying flat anymore and add more mesh if it is not wide enough yet.

After it is wide enough it is just going on with netting till it is long enough.
If you have decided to spiral, that is ignore the start of the row, use the last mesh you made for one end of your cord to close the net.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 4:43pm

i guess i must be a dummy huh cause i have NO idea how that works Sad

Taiki  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 4:48pm

What isn't clear?
How to tie the knots or my desription of how to make a net?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 4:50pm

not your fault willeke i'm sure  Grin i just don't get the entire net making thing from post one Tongue i might have a closer look at it when not so sleepy..might be funny to bag me a cousin Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 4:56pm

Taiki,
The best way to learn to understand netmaking is starting to do it.
And as with all crafts, it is so much easier to understand patterns if you understand the basics of the craft.

Willeke

IP Logged

lololololol
Tiro

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 5:48pm

http://ifakedit.com/photos/netting

Ok so I started.  I've made my first practice netting knots by following the pictures here:
http://www.wedcraft.com/handoutSept2005.pdf

I made the top knots using the foundation loop method and they are tied around a pen that is paperclamp-clamped to my desk.  The next row is the basic netting knot.  It's really hard for me to tell if I'm doing it right because I'm using very slim nylon rope (mason line) and the knots are not easy to see.  I'll probably try making the knots with some bigger line first just to make sure I'm doing it right.

Findings so far:
  • I can finally see just how useful the gage/gauge/mesh stick will be.  I tied these with my fingers only and it took forever and as you can see the lengths are far from accurate.  
  • A netting shuttle is definitely necessary and I'll probably buy one
  • I've decided to go with making a very simple bag first; pillowcase style with the edges braided together as Matthias suggested.  I think this will be easiest for me.
  • Some sort of support system to hold up the net is *definitely* necessary and I'm not yet sure what I'll use to do this.  This is probably my biggest problem so far because I really don't have a clue how I'll solve it yet.  Seems like something that could spread out the whole width of the net would be best.  A dowel rod or something similar I think would be great, but I don't know how I'd elevate/support it.
  • No cats allowed in the net-making area
  • This takes a lot of rope.
  • This is not going to be easy.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:17pm

I agree with all your points, but the last.
After a little training you will be surprised how easy netting really is.

-Round here (Dutch coast) the netters use either a dowel attached to a wall or a frame made out of 2 bars of wood with two dowels.
Schrew 2 eyes into a wall, a little closer together than your dowel is long, and big enough that you dowel slip in the eyes easily.
If you want to work at a table take/make 2 pieces of wood, 1"x2"x6" will do, drill 2 holes through both pieces of wood, in the middle of the 2" and about 1" and 4" off one end of the 6" side.

The size of the hole should be a fraction bigger than your dowels are.
Slip your dowels into the holes and clamp the free end of the wood to the table.
This gives you a frame to work on.
I'll try to make a drawing and add it to this post.

When you get to the end of your row, slip the dowel with the netting out of the hooks/from the frame, turn it over end slip it in again, ready to start the next row.

-A mesh stick is not just better, it makes a whole world of difference.
Pick up a ruler that is about 1" or 1 1/2" wide and use that as meshstick and try to follow the instructions with that.

-A netting needle is not hard to make, but easier to buy. But for starters you can also use a long normal needle like a packing needle. If it is as long as your hand and blunt it will work.
A netting needle will allow you to use a much longer string with much less efford.

-Cats are attracted to string moving, and the longer the string you are working with, the more likely the cat sees it.
A netting needle will keep the string containted to the area of your hands and lap, and if the cat is on the floor it might miss seeing it, no proof, and no cat proof way of working though.

-Buy a roll of cheap string, like sisal, that you can see.
If you tied your knot right it will not move over the string you tied it to, a knot that is tied right but tightened wrong is a slipknot round the string. Often a yank on the needlestring will collaps it into the right shape.

-The string you use is often very thin, so while you use a lot of length, you will use very little weight.
Cotton string is sold by weight and one half a kilo roll (a little more than a pound) will make more shopping nets, and storage nets, than you can use up in your life.
Natural fibres will stay in the knots more easily than manmade fibres, but go for smooth string if you can get it. Hairy string is not easy for beginners .

-You only have to learn one knot and that is much easier than the shoelace knots, and you are much older than you were when you had to learn that one.

Willeke

Netframe.gif (2 KB | )
Netframe.gif

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 10:07pm

Not hard, but you might need some patience. That cast net I linked had 20000 meshes... I'm good for maybe 15 stitches/min sustained - there's a reason why nets were, and are valuable. Keep in mind that this used to be the way you made your living, not just a hobby!

Matthias

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)