Oldie but goodie (Read 2084 times)
don1
Descens

Take that, you scoundrel!
(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Oldie but goodie
Jan 31st, 2007 at 8:16am

My (kids) are nearing their 50s, and my wife is known to save everything from their childhood.  Yesterday she pulled this out of her collection(s) when she witnessed me struggling over one of the various woven pouches I'd seen on the forum.

The whole rig is made of plastic and I doubt if they are made any longer; but, after reading these instructions I threw a piece of mason's, nylon line into the gizzmo, and discovered that it works.  So, for what its worth, I thought I'd share this with you all.

BTW:  One could easily be home-made using a 4" piece of PVC pipe, or a drilled out piece of dowel rod.

Cheers,

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

don1
Descens

(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Re: Oldie but goodie
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 10:08am

...well, here's two hours work...

Sorry for the blurry pic, I just threw it on the scanner...just to give you an idea of the design/pattern the "knobby knitter" provides, and its dimensions.

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? --Jane Austen

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:45am

Cool! Welcome to slinging.org

The traditional homemade kind is built from a wooden spool and some nails, but as wooden spools are hard to find these days, PVC would probably work well! Google "knitting spool" or "knitting nancy" or even "lucet" (lucets are two-pronged, wooden "knitting machines" with a long history). I bet you could find one in most bigger toy stores, and craft shops, but it's neat to find one in the basement Smiley

I really like the feel of the knitted cords, and have made a couple of slings this way. If you can talk her into showing you a a couple of stitches using needles as well, you could make one of these:
Knit sling
Still my favourite.

Matthias

IP Logged

don1
Descens

(at dog pooping on grass

Valhalla
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 11:51am

Hi Matthias,

Those are beauties!  Just what an old man needs, another hobby Smiley

cheers,

IP Logged

hybrid_throwback
Funditor

where the earth meets
the sky

SEQLD, Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 8:39am

Weird, I was only thinking of the spool technique las tnight, where I am it's called "french knitting" (no idea why, though Australia did get a lot of Hugenot refugees in time, which is why I came out pasty, hehe) and done on a wooden cotton reel with 2 or 4 nails stick in one end.

Was thinking of carving a spool from bamboo, I have lots of 20-30mm stuff.

Nice sling!

Must try wool sometime, I know some alpaca people must hit em up for seconds.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15)