Night slinging (Read 1566 times)
dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Night slinging
Jan 30th, 2007 at 4:33pm

Why would you want to sling at night? Because it would make perfect conditions to see how your projectile flies. Don't call me crazy just yet. All this talk about the way a projectile spins and curves got me thinking about how hard it can be sometimes to truely see with the naked eye. At night the background is all one color; black. I was thinking you could paint stripes or dots on a tennis ball with glow in the dark paint. Then charge up the paint really bright with a flashlight. When the ball is slung only the dots or stripes would be visible. This would give you a good idea of what your projectile really does. Plus it would look cool. Sling it high enough and peolpe might report UFOs. I will give it a go if I find the time. Glow in the dark paint can be bought at most craft stores.

IP Logged

lololololol
Tiro

Re: Night slinging
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 4:52pm

that's actually a really cool idea for doing tracer projectiles.. good luck finding your ammo when you're done though =(

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 5:43pm

It should not be that hard to find cuz tennis balls don't go far and they glow in the dark. Use one ball and keep a flashlite with you to charge up the paint

IP Logged

Markmyster
Tiro

Always

Ontario Canada
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 7:38am

I stick sparklers into clay balls, they work quit well.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 9:22pm

I've tried doing this before.

A few things I learned the hard way, hope their useful

1) A solution that will easily bleed through the felt, or can be easily sprayed on (Use a lot) works best
2) Use a ice chest with a light within to charge the balls, you can easily destroy your night vision otherwise.
3) Keep in mind that the balls actually fade from view very quickly as it travels further away from you.
4) There is generally a lot of ambient light which can make it harder to detect the soft glow of a tennis ball: Moon, stars, city lights etc.
5) Sling into flat areas that don't have deep depressions, or underbrush. (you would think you's see it)

jope that helps

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2007 at 7:18am

get a couple of cheap led torches (poundland sells them) stick them into plastecine balls and sling those :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kanec
Tiro

Glass rings where the
sling flings

Slovakia
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 2:48pm

those who live near the seaside or a big lake could also try throwing some incendiary glands - http://slinging.org/36.html - into the water so that they wouldn't burn anything Smiley

The basis of justice is to hate everyone equally;)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Kick)