Send Topic Print
new sling finds (Read 6521 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
new sling finds
Jan 29th, 2007 at 12:58pm

It seems that there have been leather objects found since at least 1970 that are more than likely sling pouches. Because the archeologists couldn't ID them, they are listed as unknown.
  The best one is at the Southampton museum in England. It dates from the 16th cent. It is nearly the exact same thing as the 8th. cent sling pouches that were found in Hedeby, Denmark. The museum there has it labeled as a "shoe tongue".
  in speaking with the curator at Southampton, he informed me that the museum has to rely on the opinion of the so called experts. They can do nothing on their own to change the ID.
  This sling pouch can be viewed online at http://sccwwwl.southampton.gov.uk/archeology//search.asp. The ID number is A2001.35.22.
For our British slingers--- ROAD TRIP!!!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: new sling finds
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 1:11pm

I had some troubles getting into the site and getting the right picture.
I hope this direct link works: http://sccwww1.southampton.gov.uk/archaeology/view.asp?acc_num=A.2001.35.22

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 1:22pm

Well... I have sling pouches made from leather shoe tongues, but if they came pre-shaped like that (complete with holes in the ends and everything), it would certainly make life a little simpler. Those Castle Mound slinging.org-ers sure had it easy!

Matthias

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 5:25pm

By the way, check out the entire site. They have artifacts from all over the world there. quite fascinating

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 8:05pm

Obviously a sling pouch, and I emailed the museum and said so.  I suggested they find Robert Dohrenwend and ask his opinion.  I hope they have better luck finding him than I have had.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 10:06pm

That's quite the shoe tongue...

This is an example of just one of the many reasons that I despise schooling.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 6:51am

Great finds! I guess anyone on this site would immediately say 'sling pocket' - but don't be too hard on archaeologists Wink.

As for whose opinion they would listen to? Maybe not Dohrenwend since he's not a card carrying archaeologist - as far as I know. Perhaps best to find the people/group who did the original work (which is probably written up in some journal) and discuss it with them. They _may_ have considered sling pockets (unlikely?) and rejected the attribution for some reason we don't know about.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 10:24am

I have already contacted the curator and expressed concern for the mis labeling. I told him how to contact the Hedeby Museum in  Denamrk so that he can coordinate with them. There is apparently others that have been found, one in York ( Jorvik) that dates from the Viking age, and another one in Ireland from the 12th cent. While I haven't viewed these 2, the general description of them matches the one in Southampton. The curator said he will be contacting these places and do some coordinating with them.
   It seems that the archeological team responsible for this were hired, like a company, to do the digging/ID.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 11:22am

Slingbadger - great work!
I wonder how many more strange looking shoe tongues lurk in museum collections? Still, it would seem to be a pretty rare find.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 7:01am

definitely a sling pouch. Why would you cut slits in a show tongue ? Or attach it sideways.
Course it would be a neat way of sneaking a sling past guards. you could even leave the strings attached :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 12:47am

Well, so much for the "Experts". If that's a shoe tongue I'll eat it.  Tongue

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 2:53am

bigkahuna wrote on Feb 5th, 2007 at 12:47am:
Well, so much for the "Experts". If that's a shoe tongue I'll eat it.  Tongue

AAaawwww, Bigkahuna! Reduced to eating old shoe leather!
Smiley                                                                               

Kudos to you, Slingbadger! When I clicked on Willike's direct link, the moment the image came up the little voice in the back of my mind yelled: "Sling pouch!!"  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 1:24pm

They will only update the find if an expert can confirm that that is what the object is. By expert, they usually mean someone with a degree, but, as he admits, they can't be experts in all things.
Unfrortunatly, as a curator, his hands are tied, so, let's not be too hard on them. I have given him all the information I have on the Hedeby slings, and supposed others that have been forund in Jorvik ( York) and in Dublin.
  If anybody has connections, and other information that could help out the curator, please pass it on. As the saying goes, It is easier to light a candle than curse the dark.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 1:57pm

I've got a patch of leather, and a printout of the "shoe-tongue" sketch.  If I can make a replica, and show that it definitely is a sling pouch, and describe the construction techniques (e.g., soaking it in warm water, wrapping it around a stone to stretch to the proper shape, etc), would that convince them?  Or do I need a degree in archaeology before I am deemed competent to soak leather in water?

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 2:35pm

it's not that they don't believe that it's a sling-pouch, but rather that they need someone with a degree to say it officialy.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)