Any pictures available to help us Visual learners? lol
Just curious what a "jo" looks like...
Thx

IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Re: The Jo
Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 10:32am

The jo is really just a smooth stick. Nothing fancy, but quite versatile.
Here's a random jo picture i found online:

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 11:40pm

O thx pancaker! I now have a better understanding...Cheesy

IP Logged

kelthen
Descens

Eyay yesu domine... whack!
dona eais requiem...

Reply #18 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 7:31pm

I would try a stick of iron wood. The people here from britain might know it as hop hornbeam. if you used a stick and didn't touch the outsidegrain, it might help it from cracking. the wood itself is reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllly strong, but almost as heavy.  Smileyhttp://slinging.org/forum/yabbfiles/Smilies/2vrolijk_08.gif that is the coolest smilie ever. just thought id get that out there

This is the wattle, the symbol of our land. You can put it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen.

IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Reply #19 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 9:21pm

At the moment I'm just cheating and using machine-cut hickory 1x1's and then making them round with a plane. Having some grain problems so far, but maybe I'll get some good ones made up. Smiley

IP Logged

lololololol
Tiro

Reply #20 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 9:40pm

Klarh -  I'm really interested in how you're doing this, what your lathe setup looks like and what the product looks like.. Got any pictures?

IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Reply #21 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 1:25pm

Well, the lathe is currently out of service from lack of use, so no pictures. Wink

Although I might try using some of this straight stock in there, who knows, maybe that would work better than fussing with plane and grain.

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 4:51pm

Kelthen, you're really right about ironwood it is a beast. Looks cool too with the texture. I just leave the bark on. I thought it was a rare exotic wood, but it is common too.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Shiboo-sama
Tiro

kill one it's murder,
kill millions it's conquest.

CO
Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 10:31pm

there is no way around it. you must dry the wood. some people let their fresh wood dry for up to two years. to save yourself that kind of time, just buy some local hardwood from the hardware store, or construction store, or if you are lucky enough to have a lumber yard near-by. Then when you make it, it will not warp as easily. If if does become warped, to straiten the warped ones, it is best to either create a mold, or hold it by hand. Heat it up as hot as you are confident in heating it without scorching the wood, then either hold it or put it in the form until it dries. i have made jos too. and bokken. bokken are fun little things. i have tried to make a shinai, but i suppose my bamboo working is a bit horrible. ha.
-Shiboo-sama

Shiboo-sama thealmightyshavedferret akakazeryu  
IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 2:11pm

I know I am a few yeasr late on this one .BUT.
  I am a wood turner  . Get a piece of green wood the shape that you want ,strip the bark   ....or not ...soak it in a fifty fifty mix of dish washing fluid and water.  get the fluid  from the dollar store.soak your wood in it for a couple of weeks  .
after it dries it will not warp ,and you will be able to lacquer it afterwords.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)