Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Safety ammo. (Read 2414 times)
LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Safety ammo.
Jan 28th, 2007 at 6:12am

Today, I picked up a roll of newspaper I made for my dog to chew. I felt that it's heavy enough for slinging! So, I slung it a few times right behind my house. It won't richchet. Also, it's almost free!

I take a thin copy of newspaper and fold it into a big paper wasp, then tie the end with a small rubber band. The length is somewhere between 5". The end opposite the end tied with rubber band is quite hard.

I can now sling behind my house on Sundays. I tried the method illustrated in the 'motherearthnews'. It worked quite well, but my sling is not long enough for that.... I just have to listen for passing cars and motorcycles in the cross junction.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Re: Safety ammo.
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 6:47am

news papers might not be the best choice as a toy for your dog, since the print is done in lead, so after long practice of chewing newspapers enough lead will accumulate in his body, to cause some very serious health problems.

a normal stick should do better. Smiley

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 6:58am

Oh, I didn't know that. Okay, I'll give it folded cardboard or some unwanted fliers.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 4:38pm

Elemental lead in newsprint?  Give me a break.  These days it's mostly carbon black & soybean oil.  That's why it gets all over your fingers.  Zip lead in anything these days where quite a bit of human contact is anticipated.  Lead is even being taken out of electrical solders where possible.

And try a tennis ball for your dog if he isn't big enough for it to get stuck behind his canine teeth or go down his throat.  Lots of dogs injured by running with sticks in their mouths.

IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 5:23pm

now this would be the opposite of safety ammo. I wonder if a sling threw the brick?

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 5:35pm

mgreenfield wrote on Jan 29th, 2007 at 4:38pm:
Elemental lead in newsprint?  Give me a break.  These days it's mostly carbon black & soybean oil.  That's why it gets all over your fingers.  Zip lead in anything these days where quite a bit of human contact is anticipated.  Lead is even being taken out of electrical solders where possible.

And try a tennis ball for your dog if he isn't big enough for it to get stuck behind his canine teeth or go down his throat.  Lots of dogs injured by running with sticks in their mouths.

i guess it depends on where the papers are printed.

and tennis balls are not a good choice, since the dog will swallow little bits of hair and rubber as he chews it, and he can't digest them. it might lead to yet another set of complications.

there are some cheap, yet durable and safe toys for dogs, in pet shops.
and some of them are even slingable Tongue

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 7:21pm

I want some disposeable toys for the dog. So, I tried folded paper plate instead. It's made for food, so it is totally safe! Cheesy I have a rawhide dog chew, but I don't want the dog to lose it outside. I just give occasionally.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 6:10am

from what i understand - you managed to keep your dog?

if that's correct, i'm glad you did Smiley

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 6:36am

At night, I let it sleep in my kitchen without being leashed, so it's free to roam inside! Whenever possible when the kitchen is not busy, I will let it in to stay. It  still does not have a permanet home, though...... but, its living condition is just fine. We applied for a license for the dog. It's a very smart dog!

My uncle likes it. He bought the collars, license, and its toy. Now, I see when to take it to the vet nearby. I don't feel like doing that! I did a research about the spaying process in the internet....

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:07am

Would a totally soaked and mushed together (then dried) roll of toilet paper work for your dog?

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick)