Send Topic Print
Interesting.... (Read 7418 times)
Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: Interesting....
Reply #30 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 6:20am

Taiki wrote on Feb 1st, 2007 at 2:53pm:
i am encourageing him..to take down the slings for sale..maybe post instructions to make your own..

Just let the market decide. I do not guess he will make millions by selling overpriced slings. I do not think we need to worry about that.

We'd rather need to worry that he calls the slings slingshots.

Oh, and he advertises Cliff Savages book saying that it teaches you how to build molotov-projectiles. I want the sling to be associated with sports not with terrorism... And what's an "urban survival setting"? Shooting down pigeons for food?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #31 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 5:48pm

The problem with (the Late) Mr. Savages book is that when it first came out it was targeted at the paramilitary/survivalist market in the US. So a lot of the people that hawk this book are still aiming at the same audience.
While I agree there is a whole lot of rich historical tradtions with the sling, but there are going to be those folks that are going to use a lot of hype to sell what ever they want to sell and in this case violence sells.

Marc Adkins

Dravonk wrote on Feb 5th, 2007 at 6:20am:
Taiki wrote on Feb 1st, 2007 at 2:53pm:
i am encourageing him..to take down the slings for sale..maybe post instructions to make your own..

Oh, and he advertises Cliff Savages book saying that it teaches you how to build molotov-projectiles. I want the sling to be associated with sports not with terrorism... And what's an "urban survival setting"? Shooting down pigeons for food?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #32 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 5:50pm

You also have to remember that the victors write history. Often times the defintion of terrorist depends on which side you are on Sad

Marc Adkins

FunSlinger wrote on Feb 6th, 2007 at 4:07am:
Dravonk wrote on Feb 5th, 2007 at 6:20am:
I want the sling to be associated with sports not with terrorism...

Yeah, you and everyone else here on this forum. But the sad reality is that slinging gets far more publicity as an outward expression of terrorism. Lets try to change that perception ourselves by introducing as many people as we can to the age old sport/art/etc that far pre-dates the concept of "terrorism" and which was a method of hunting and doing honorable battle on a battlefield. And for that matter, that which was at one time just as deadly on the battlefield as any other weaponry.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

wannabeslinger
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 10:59pm

25$  Angry man thats like 15 cents worth of materials store bought and 10 minutes worth the work

id sell em for $1.50-2.00

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #34 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 1:59am

My 2c

Most people today is very surprised to see somebody sling. Most people know about a sling from say the David and Goliath story but is not sure how a sling works. They do however know that a sling is a dangerous weapon with the possibility to kill and mame. Do you  think that there is any conotation between slings and terrorism if the general puplic is not even sure at what they are looking at?

Some people might be aware that slings are used for violence in some countries but then still view it as a weapon used by those who cant afford modern weapons. To those people the terrorist might be the one with the modern weapon and vice versa.

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #35 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 5:34am

fortunately todays terrorists seem to have very few ideas beyond bombs. I can personally think of at least 2 ways to suicidally crash a plane without taking anything onboard that they don't sell you once there.

then there's all the other stuff that's non-fatal but does induce terror. (people get upset when I go into details so I won't :-)

so let's just be grateful thet our current bunch of nutters have no imagination and very little practical education.
And also don't forget the pictures on this site of palestinians using slings against the israelis - terrorists ? freedom fighters ?

It really does depend which end of the sling you're at :-) 

ps. and you still sound like spiteful children in respect to the website

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #36 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:07am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 7th, 2007 at 5:34am:
And also don't forget the pictures on this site of palestinians using slings against the israelis - terrorists ? freedom fighters ?

I have an uneasy feeling about those pictures as well. I have no sympathy with the violence on either side. The subtitles often say "riots after the Israelis did this or that" which sounds to me like it is justifying the violence. I think just telling the date and the location would be more neutral. I'd move all those pictures into some kind of history section.

Even the first page on slinging.org says "The sling continues to be used in various smaller conflicts and by enthusiasts to this day." That might be correct, but I still wouldn't mention those conflicts right on the first page.

Let's post more pictures of competitions!

Oops, sorry. Wink And now I sounded like a spiteful child in respect to slinging.org as well? Hmm. What I meant in my previous post is, I do not mind what price it asks for. And the part about advocating slings for violence applies to many websites, to slinging.org as well.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #37 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:25am

Wait till I start talking in respect to my parents!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Let's not go too far now .  There is a website, most of us here don't think much of it.  Enough said.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #38 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 12:26pm

Dravonk wrote on Feb 7th, 2007 at 8:07am:
The subtitles often say "riots after the Israelis did this or that" which sounds to me like it is justifying the violence. I think just telling the date and the location would be more neutral.

palestinian riots after israelis did this, because palestinians did that, because israelis did that, in response to palestinians doing this, .... , all goes back to 1352 B.C., when XYZ sodomized XYB's favourite sheep, and started a tribal war!

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Reply #39 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 6:31pm

Africa_Slinger wrote on Feb 7th, 2007 at 1:59am:
My 2c

Most people today is very surprised to see somebody sling. Most people know about a sling from say the David and Goliath story but is not sure how a sling works. They do however know that a sling is a dangerous weapon with the possibility to kill and mame.

I disagree on one point, I would think that most people don't know how dangerous a sling is, at least I didn't before digging deeper. I think one reason is that some associate sling with slingshot and slingshot with the cartoon slingshots (Dennis the Menace and Calvin and Hobbes anyone?) When this happens they tend to dismiss it as just a nuisance weapon. I always thought that David somehow managed to knock down Goliath with the sling and then killed him by cuttting his head off, but now I know that the sling was probably the killer.
~Admiral

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #40 - Feb 7th, 2007 at 7:52pm

To impress people with this simple weapon, I must first learn the skill. Here, very few people really know what is a sling. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

pancaker

Ohio
Reply #41 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:32am

Come on, the guy has no donate button on his site, so he's probably counting on sling sales to pay for site maintenance costs.

Slinging.org is so far ahead of stoneslinging.com in terms of search engine rating, site design and content, that it's really unfair to badmouth it too. I pity the fools, indeed, but wish them luck in staying alive as a site. The only way they can really thrive is if they come up with something new or different in terms of content, presentation, or mode of operation, which would benefit all of us.

Good luck, stoneslinging

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #42 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 11:57am

I overlooked that!  Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker)