IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Re: Interesting....
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:21am

Interesting yes. I just don't like the way the sling is being sold there and price is a bit much. Slings as advertisement? Found it a bit superficial. Lets keep it real. still interesting

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:50am

Trying to make money out of our hobby?  Roll Eyes

Should have come up with some better slings!

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 8:12am

Interesting indeed. He somehow fails to mention slinging.org wich I would imagine is the biggest slinging comunity.

Cheesy

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 11:41am

In the immortal words of Mr.T, "I pity the fool". Angry

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 12:57pm

please tell me i misread that  Huh 25$ for a braided sling ? i think it would be worth 5$  Undecided and indeed he doesn't even mention slinging.org Shocked the shame of them all  Shocked

Taiki  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 3:54pm

And plain wrong about the name of the thing:
Quote:
The sling is also known as the sling shot (two words), or slingshot (one word). Slings are used for slinging and casting stones or shots over large distances. This is known as catapultry because you catapult a projectile.

A sling is a sling, a slingshot is a catapult, and that are two different things.
We have enough problems with people mixing the names not to want an 'official' site to confuse the topic even more.

I have read through the info on the site, I am not impressed, but I am willing to wait for updates to see improvements.

Did anybody join that Yahoo group?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 5:42pm

I was pretty unimpressed.  The simple sling was 10 US dollars, which is ridiculous, and the braided one was 25.  Honestly, his slings do not seem well made at all.  I bet he knows about slinging.org, it is the 1st result in google under slinging (of course), and he seems to have found a few other sling related websites.  There must be a reason (Perhaps his potential customers would think his slings seemed shabby next to those of Matthias, and others on this site...  Roll Eyes).

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:02pm

Looks Like a resurrection of the old Stoneslings.com. They are actually the guys that got me back into this hobby. Then their site went dead and i drifted lost in in cyberspace till I discovered Slinging.org. I still have a lot of thier stuff on hardcopy like i do with this site.
Might have to check them out and see if they are still doing the same old stuff, which it sounds like.

Marc Adkins

LKH9 wrote on Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:08am:

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:13pm

It's a rival group, Last thing I heard out of them was in January of 2002. they apparently didn't pay their server bill and the domain name went up for sale. Looks like they slightly changed their name.
Trust me they are still rehashing the stuff i have in hard copy from 2002, Their section on how to use the sling is only one written page long and all it discusses is the underhand release and the horizontal release.
Thier history of the sling is less than a page long and it boils down to it predates the Bible.
In short slinging.org has far more usefull information in it on a lot more topics.

Marc Adkins

Africa_Slinger wrote on Jan 26th, 2007 at 8:12am:
Interesting indeed. He somehow fails to mention slinging.org wich I would imagine is the biggest slinging comunity.

Cheesy

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:16pm

Our job is not to protect the ignorant....... Tongue
I fully agree with ya Willeke
And yes I am thinking about joining the yahoogroup just to filemine,. Although I have a funny feeling I'm not going to find anything really intresting on that group.

Marc Adkins

Willeke wrote on Jan 26th, 2007 at 3:54pm:
And plain wrong about the name of the thing:
Quote:
The sling is also known as the sling shot (two words), or slingshot (one word). Slings are used for slinging and casting stones or shots over large distances. This is known as catapultry because you catapult a projectile.

A sling is a sling, a slingshot is a catapult, and that are two different things.
We have enough problems with people mixing the names not to want an 'official' site to confuse the topic even more.

I have read through the info on the site, I am not impressed, but I am willing to wait for updates to see improvements.

Did anybody join that Yahoo group?

Willeke

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:32pm

Ditto,
His braided sling is listed as being 24 inches. Is that folded, or not. I might pay that price if it came from one of the Baleric slingers but not for someone domestic. Again I would donate 10USD ( if I had it free) to Chris for our site maintenance. But it would be more to keep our site running thatn for the sling that comes with the donation.
If anybody bothered to click on his links they either are not working or changed format. Looks like he is using Five year old information in his links section.

Marc Adkins

Cliff wrote on Jan 26th, 2007 at 5:42pm:
I was pretty unimpressed.  The simple sling was 10 US dollars, which is ridiculous, and the braided one was 25.  Honestly, his slings do not seem well made at all.  I bet he knows about slinging.org, it is the 1st result in google under slinging (of course), and he seems to have found a few other sling related websites.  There must be a reason (Perhaps his potential customers would think his slings seemed shabby next to those of Matthias, and others on this site...  Roll Eyes).

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 9:38pm

Yep looks like he is targeting both the SCA and the Survivalist community in the US for his slings.
Both of which are compantant in making their own. Two Bootlaces and scrap piece O' Leather  Roll Eyes
Real bleeping difficult to make

Marc Adkins

Tint wrote on Jan 26th, 2007 at 6:50am:
Trying to make money out of our hobby?  Roll Eyes

Should have come up with some better slings!

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 4:56am

Taiki wrote on Jan 26th, 2007 at 12:57pm:
please tell me i misread that  Huh 25$ for a braided sling ? i think it would be worth 5$  Undecided and indeed he doesn't even mention slinging.org Shocked the shame of them all  Shocked

It's made exactly the same way as a few I've made for about $1, just a little thicker.

Not to sell, I mean. The cost of making one - you probably knew what I meant.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 5:13am

Jaz,

Would love to see one of your slings. Post a picture is possible.

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)