Southeastern Connecticut USA
Slings in the News
Jan 24th, 2007 at 11:23pm

From Monsters and Critics.com

Americas News
Tijuana police turn to slings to protest lack of firearms
By DPA
Jan 24, 2007, 22:40 GMT

Mexico City - Municipal police agents in the northern Mexican city of Tijuana have resorted to using slings as weapons after their guns were withdrawn by federal police officials fighting the illegal drug trade in the area.

Around 60 of Tijuana's 2,500 municipal police agents announced the move Wednesday, saying it was a 'way of drawing attention' to their situation.

The agents taking part in the protest are carrying slings and around 100 marbles as ammunition. They are mostly deployed in the tourist area of the city, which lies on the border with the United States and is visited by hundreds of citizens from the neighbouring country everyday.

Municipal policemen had their guns withdrawn in early January, at the beginning of the so-called Operation Tijuana against the drug trade. The federal government has characterized the local police force as being troubled by corruption and is examining members' guns for signs of involvement in crimes.

The federal government action against organized crime is being carried out by members of the Army, the Navy, the Federal Police and the attorney general's office.

Tijuana, in the state of Baja California, has a population of around 1.5 million.

© 2007 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

© Copyright 2006,2007 by monstersandcritics.com.
This notice cannot be removed without permission.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Slings in the News
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 12:16am

"STOP OR I'LL SLING!!!!!" Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 5:08am

according to MSNBC  its  slingshots  and a  bag of ballbearings   lol     http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16763344/

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 8:19am

actually in an urban environment marbles would be much better - miss and hit a wall and you've got a nasty shrapnel burst.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

jpsIII
Novicius

Watch 'em Fly!

Southeastern Connecticut USA
Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 11:55am

Apropos, I consciously declined to share my EZ-Home-Bilt-U-Sling-Em technology with several urban neo-radicalistas in the late-60's-early '70's...despite my expertise and untutored experience dating back to my Boy Scout days.

And thus I denied them our Abominable Thrills and Obscure Historical Pleasures; these alas went unshared for the benefit of Public Order.

Oddly, I have found that Only a Certain Sort of Lad/Lass embraces the sling's potential.  We are one of them, it appears.

--j

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 3:57pm

RockChucker wrote on Jan 25th, 2007 at 5:08am:
according to MSNBC  its  slingshots  and a  bag of ballbearings   lol     http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16763344/

A reason for the mistake could be the source of the original article: the original article was probably in german (at least the DPA was named) and in german the word "Schleuder" (sling) is quite often used for slingshots, too ("Zwille").

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 2:46pm

well if it is ball bearing they are a deadly ammo
My first expercene was putting a pin ball size ball bearing though both sides of a gallon can of congealed paint.
My second experince was my first kill with a sling be it a accident. A mangy lame rotwiler alley dog digging in my garbage. was intending to hit the cans to scare off the dog  but in those day's I rarely hit at what I aimed at so the animal was accidently dispatched and put out of its misery. least it was quite quick and humane

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 5:45pm

Interesting article jpsIII, thanks for the find.  Your writing is a bit like TechStuff's...

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 5:57pm

You don't say? I couldn't sound more like Techstuf if I tried! Grin

Welcome to slinging.org jpsIII.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I'll sign my post thustly

Cool

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2007 at 9:27am

"So are ya feeling lucky? Well are ya punk? Your probably asking yerself does he have 4 marbles or only 2". Grin Grin Grin Grin         Can't you just see Dirty Harry with a sling????? Cheesy

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker)