Hullo (Read 2326 times)
Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Hullo
Jan 24th, 2007 at 3:57pm

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself.
I've been reading sling.org or about a yeaer and finally decided to join. I haven't been sling for too long but I have been experimenting with various survival things for a while. I live in Wisconsin, US. I have only tried using braided slings for now, but that should soon cange. I use a overhead baseball throw style, although I have tried figure eight, I was never able to pick it up.
That's about all for now

IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Re: Hullo
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 4:31pm

I just realized this is in the wrong place , oh well

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 4:39pm

No worries, a forum mod will move it for you Smiley

Welcome to slinging and slinging.org! You'll be glad you finally joined Smiley
What are your slings braided from?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 4:43pm

So we will! That CanDo is really on the ball Wink

Welcome Admiral_Gallaway. Wisconsin eh? Fresh-water admiral?

Matthias

IP Logged

Admiral.Gallaway

Avast, me mateys, throw
'em to th' sharks

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 6:55pm

CanDo wrote on Jan 24th, 2007 at 4:39pm:

one is from a kind of hay rope (at least that's what it looks like to me, I don't know where I got it), the other's are from some kind of synthetic twine. All with duck tape pouches Sad nothing better, maybe you guys have suggestions? I don't have any access to leather
btw, thanks for moving it! Tongue

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 7:22pm

Admiral.Gallaway wrote on Jan 24th, 2007 at 6:55pm:
CanDo wrote on Jan 24th, 2007 at 4:39pm:

one is from a kind of hay rope (at least that's what it looks like to me, I don't know where I got it), the other's are from some kind of synthetic twine. All with duck tape pouches Sad nothing better, maybe you guys have suggestions? I don't have any access to leather
btw, thanks for moving it! Tongue

Hemp perhaps? The synthetic twine may be mason's line - is it more plasticy or fibrous and soft?

That cordage will suffice just fine as a pouch material. Run a search for split pouch slings and you'll get the idea. Here's a sling from just the cordage of a coconut's husk: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?board=1;action=display;num=1120019688;start=0
See here for all sorts of ways to weave, net, tie, braid, knit, and twist a pouch with no material other than the cord: http://www.slinging.org/articles.html
Other than that, just try anything you run across, it's probably easier to not search, but just to keep it in the back of your mind, so that you'll recognize what you're looking for when you find it. A lot will work - conveyer belt strap/firehose/nylon webbing to name a few less common pouch materials.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 12:20am

Greetings Admiral Gallway,

Send me your postal address and I will gladly send you one of my sling pouches free. You will only have to add the cords to your liking. Look under the Trading section for details.

Welcome to slinging from the other side of the world.

Regards,

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 4:08am

Welcome aboard Admiral. Always nice to have another seadog around. As far as your sling is concerned you can make the pouch out of just about anything. Mine is made from medical tape and has held up quite well, but denim, old socks, duct tape, even plastic bags can be made into decent slings. Just go through the various threads of this Forum and pick out a design you like and the instruction here will tell you how to make it.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)