Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torsion for Siege Weapons (Read 3779 times)
CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Torsion for Siege Weapons
Jan 20th, 2007 at 12:25pm

Hi all,
I'm thinking of building some sort of siege or 'artillery-like' ancient weapon. I'd like to play with torsion, but none of my long-haired friends are willing to shave their head  Tongue. I've heard word of using synthetic or nylon rope as a substitute, and am wondering if any of you have had any experience with it. Just how it worked in general (any problems?), but info on how it stacks up against more tradional materials would be excellent. Thanks.

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Re: Torsion for Siege Weapons
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 5:21pm

Your local saddlery (is there any such thing??) or horse-riding club may be able to get you horse hair, which is most excellent for torsion ropes...

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2007 at 10:59am

Any natural rope like hemp or sisal should work too. I don't know about cotton, but I don't think it would have the strength

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 5:09am

Is flax strong enough? I'd reccomend silk for its strength, but...

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 8:47am

Flax should work, since it was used for ropes. The main thing with a torsion catapult, is when it is not in use, the ropes must be untightened, or they will simply stretch and become useless. Also, they cannot get wet, so even a high humidity day presents problems.
   makes you wonder how our ancestors dealt with all of this. I suppose they could have tarred the ropes to helpwith the moisture.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:24am

Or greased/waxed it I suppose...

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:56am

slingbadger wrote on Feb 2nd, 2007 at 8:47am:
Flax should work, since it was used for ropes. The main thing with a torsion catapult, is when it is not in use, the ropes must be untightened, or they will simply stretch and become useless. Also, they cannot get wet, so even a high humidity day presents problems.
  makes you wonder how our ancestors dealt with all of this. I suppose they could have tarred the ropes to helpwith the moisture.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the ropes were stored in special oils or something when not in use to preserve them. Or maybe it was to reduce the amount they stretched.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 6:02am

Will modern materials like nylon work? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jaz
Descens

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 6:18am

LKH9 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 6:02am:
Will modern materials like nylon work? Roll Eyes

I think that's pretty much what CanDo is wondering. But I don't know the answer.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 7:04am

I think the question should be "Which modern rope will work?" Because there are so many, all of them with different properties.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:08am

Nylon should work, but it has a greater stretch potential that the others. Not to mention bright yellow nylon looks gawdawfukl on an otherwise accurate catapult

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:43am

slingbadger wrote on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:08am:
Nylon should work, but it has a greater stretch potential that the others. Not to mention bright yellow nylon looks gawdawfukl on an otherwise accurate catapult

Greater stretch potential as in more power or as in that one must be more careful since it could stretch out, and lose its elasticity easier?   If you're thinking of that bright yellow, plasticy rope, I don't think that's nylon, but some sort of synthetic... Nylon is soft and comes in just about any color, or pattern of colors (though I think it costs a lot more than that stiff yellow stuff).

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 12:19pm

The yellow/blue three strand stuff is polypropylene. It's cheap, which is a plus, and easy to find. I'd probably be tempted to start with that (if I didn't have access to thousands of pounds of rope Wink) and then switch it out once the thing was built if it looked like doing so would give me any real benefit.

A CanDo said, raw nylon is soft and white, and quite stretchy. It would probably be your best bet, and you could dye it (cheap fabric dye - eg: RIT). Might be a little harder to find, and it will be more expensive. I'd stay away from the polyesters - dacron etc. and anything remotely "high tech". If your ropes don't have  abit of elasticity you are basically making a giant wooden-frame-breaking-machine.

None of the synthetics will have too much problem with set in this type of application. They will all stretch in a bit with use, but will quickly get to a point where you get back virtually all of the energy that you put in.

Matthias

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 3:38pm

Matthias wrote on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 12:19pm:
The yellow/blue three strand stuff is polypropylene. It's cheap, which is a plus, and easy to find. I'd probably be tempted to start with that (if I didn't have access to thousands of pounds of rope Wink) and then switch it out once the thing was built if it looked like doing so would give me any real benefit.

A CanDo said, raw nylon is soft and white, and quite stretchy. It would probably be your best bet, and you could dye it (cheap fabric dye - eg: RIT). Might be a little harder to find, and it will be more expensive. I'd stay away from the polyesters - dacron etc. and anything remotely "high tech". If your ropes don't have  abit of elasticity you are basically making a giant wooden-frame-breaking-machine.

None of the synthetics will have too much problem with set in this type of application. They will all stretch in a bit with use, but will quickly get to a point where you get back virtually all of the energy that you put in.

Matthias

Ahh, great, thanks for the info. Yes polypropylene is the stuff I was thinking of. So does this mean that moisture/humidity is a concern with the synthetics?

Is twisted preffered to braided, or does it really not matter?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)