Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello from Oregon (Read 3700 times)
fogish

Slinging?!

Oregon, USA
Hello from Oregon
Jan 17th, 2007 at 6:38pm

Hello, I am in Oregon and have been interested in Slinging for a long, long time but have never actually done it. I hope to have a sling shortly and then I will finally know what it is really like.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Hello from Oregon
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 8:16pm

Hi Fogish,

Welcome from Australia. I will send you one of my sling pouches. You will have to attach your own cords to suit your own requirements, but there are heaps of articles in guides section showing this. Look at the members gallery also.

Happy Slinging

Aussieslinger

Forgot to add; I don't know how long snail mail to US takes but don't get anxious under two weeks.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 8:52pm

Hi from Canada, look up just about any tutorial here and you will be making a sling and using it in a day. The "One String Sling" is surprisingly easy to make and I found it to work with just about everything I put in it.

Hhave fun.
Lupis

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

fogish

Slinging?!

Oregon, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 10:06pm

Thank you Aussieslinger and I will practice braiding while I wait and see what I can do about making some different length cords to try with the pouch.

Lupis: that sounds like what I will give a try first then, ropes and braiding aren' t foriegn to me but it would be good to start out simple and get the concept down then work my way up.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 11:12pm

Hi guys,

My slings are about as simple as you can get. I don't use braided cords, just standard nylon that you can get in any hardware store Everthing is synthetic and not "authentic", but it works! The concept is described in Chris's article on making a basic sling but my pouch is not flat, but cupped to hold round ammunition.

Aussieslinger

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 12:08am

Hello fogish,

Braiding is tough!  (for me anyway) I started braiding my own slings and it took me weeks.  It broke my heart when I found little wear and tear on them that I never go for my power shots.  I now use only nylon rope slings with duct tape pouch.  A lot studier and easier to make.

Have fun slinging!  If you have any questions or experiences to share, please post them.  Look forward to hearing about your slinging.

Tint

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 5:05am

Hi fogish. Welcome. My own favorite sling is made with cord and medical tape and it works real great.
Like that guy in Robin
hood said, "God loves infinite variety". You will certainly find that among our slings and members. Enjoy.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 11:01am

Tint wrote on Jan 18th, 2007 at 12:08am:
Braiding is tough!  (for me anyway) I started braiding my own slings and it took me weeks.  It broke my heart when I found little wear and tear on them that I never go for my power shots.

I had no experiences with braiding or anything similar and followed Dan Bollinger's instructions. It took me about half a day for each sling. I didn't train for range or power yet, but I already used my slings in wet weather and they looked like they didn't mind. I tried ripping the thinner sling in two by pulling at it, but luckily that didn't work either. Wink What kind of damage did your slings suffer from?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:07am

I wanted them to be real primitive and used hemp to make them.  The pouch started fraying and the end of the release cord started showing some tear. Cry

I remember one shot which I could hear the sling tearing apart and I panicked.  The rock went straight up and I stopped using those slings.

You can see them here, the hemp ones:

http://www.slinging.org/membergallery3.html

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:24am

Tint wrote on Jan 19th, 2007 at 11:07am:
You can see them here, the hemp ones:

http://www.slinging.org/membergallery3.html

The pouches look a bit more complex than the simple braided split pouches from Dan Bollinger's article. Are they woven?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 6:22am

Yeah, it is sort of my wn design.  I couldn't figure out how to braid the pouch and I came across a booklet that teaches how to make french bracelet so I improvised it to make my slings.  I would't recomand it, I think the Dan's way is studier and gives a better release.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 12:32pm

Now that I looked closer at it, my thicker sling shows signs of wear, too. I made the release end by tying the different cords to many knots and then opened the cords so I have fibers in flame shape. Whenever I let it crack, fibers fly through the air and the knots loosen. In my next version I will try a more professional knot at the release end.

IP Logged

lupis
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 3:07pm

Hey, I don't know if my experience is the same as everybody else's, but I found that if I have a great bunch of stuff on the release end it really screws up my throw. Just having a small one or two cord snapper at the end seems to work best for me. Give it a try for a session, it may work out. Then again it may not...

Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris)