Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
acorn-projectile making idea (Read 1949 times)
slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
acorn-projectile making idea
Jan 14th, 2007 at 9:17am

Hey, im now slinging for two months and im good with accuracy (60% at 50 meter) though bad at long distance, i use most of the time my 60cm long sling.

I got the idea from the acorn bread topic (I dont know, if someone already tried this, though I have read a lot of the forum); What if you grind the acorns and make dough (use only water, maybe oil if necessary) out of it. Then do not cook it, but just let it in a dry place, so that there wont get air in the dough. Then wait until its dry and its ready to sling!
You can make the dough in the perfect shape, or put any sharp thing in it for hunting. Its perfect for mass making and its not so dense that it is lethal to practice with, unless you put any metal in it Wink

Because of the time of the year, I could not find good acorns, so I did an experiment with wheat flour. It is still drying so no results so far (I made a ball 3 minutes ago Roll Eyes). I will post pictures and my results asap.

IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Re: acorn-projectile making idea
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 10:32am

There is almost no gluten in acorns; these projectiles will probably disintegrate in midflight.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 10:38am

but how could you make bread from acorns then? or is that also crumbly bread? Undecided if so im really dissappointed, my doughball is ready now, and its hard like stone. Im looking forward to sling it

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 4:36pm

you don't make bread from acorns :-). A dough is a term for just about any powder that's mixed with a liquid to form a thickish mass.
The stuff that was talked about was simply a way of concentrating the insides of lots of acorns into a sngle dense mass that would attract acorn eating animals.

Actually a basic flour and water dough will set like concrete - if you want to add some weight for sling projectiles use cheap fishing weights mixed into the dough :-) (or gravel)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 5:13pm

I don't know of anyone having tried the acorn bread glandes, but flour glandes have been used by many here:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?board=1;action=display;num=1121049286

You may have seen that already, but I'll link to it anyways.  It seems much less time consuming than acorn bread glandes.
Also, this topic may belong under General Discussion.

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2007 at 11:13am

ok, thanks  Grin lets try salty ones, sorry, didnt have search on slinging.org Undecided

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 8:32am

wasn't the general conclusion that salty dough wasn't enviromentally friendly ?
poisons the ground and animals (kind of)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 9:01am

yup, though willeke said; dont use more than you would in normal cookies.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2007 at 3:49pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 25th, 2007 at 8:32am:
wasn't the general conclusion that salty dough wasn't enviromentally friendly ?
poisons the ground and animals (kind of)

Hmm...I always wonder that when tons of salt are dumped on the german streets just because of some snow...  Smiley

But I guess it is still better for the enviroment than casting lead.

Using no more salt than for a cookie has the additional advantage that you can eat your projectiles if you feel like it. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)