Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Double shots? (Read 3054 times)
Selin

Sydney, Australia
Double shots?
Jan 14th, 2007 at 3:24am

Just a curious question... how close has anyone come to the double stone slinging technique Aul desicribes in her 'Clan of the Cave Bear' book?
Huh
Is it possible?? Or is the concept just literary fluff?

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: Double shots?
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 3:39am

I haven't read the books, but do you mean having a sling in each hand? That was demonstrated by Tint: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1156823087/0#0

But I don't know how accurate that is.

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 4:07am

Well basically, in the book, it's described as a 'rapid-fire of two stones from a sling'.

The idea is to "throw the first stone, catch the sling as it comes down (with the second stone ready), get it into the pocket while it is still moving, and throw the second stone". The main character Ayla seems to dispatch both stones with equally great accuracy within the space of a couple seconds...

Waaaay outta my capability (I started properly on Friday  Grin), but I thought maybe a nicely-obsessed slinger or two from this forum woulda tried it out...

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 5:14am

Tint has done a video with the repeated catch and sling again too.
There has to be at least 3 threads in the forum about it.
Use search or search al Tint's posts, he has replied in those threads.
But remember to change the time setting for all the forum.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 9:28am

You don't need to search, the thread is still in the first list: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1115875122

There's a small description in the wiki on how to do rapid-fire casting.

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 5:54pm

Woah... that's amazing...  Shocked

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 11:28pm

Thanks for watching my videos!Smiley (I'm sooooooo vain) Embarrassed

It's not really that hard (speaking as an obsessed slinger).  A couple of us can do it.  Praticing daily with the same sling or at least slings with similar lengths is the key.

I am no where near Ayla though.  I think in the book she catches the second stone in mid-air with the pouch.

so how did friday go?  did you have fun?  how far did the ammo go?

IP Logged

Selin

Sydney, Australia
Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:56am

Friday was ... interesting! Wink Its impossible to start and stick at this if you've got ego problems, I reckon. I could only squeeze in an hour between work and sundown down on a bushy grassy area near my house but found aiming uphill managed to catch my many many stray balls. Aiming at a tree knot helpes heaps too, since the branches  toss my tennis balls back towards me.
Two balls still managed to mysteriously dissappear though.  Huh I couldn't track them too far into the bush since snakes and spiders are quite annoying where I live.

I've been trying at about 15 paces away, since that's the furthest I can get with a proper target in view. Anyway, good news is that by the end of Friday I had a mistake area of about 4x4m, and since then its down to 2x1.5m!

I love this sport!  Grin

As for slinging style, does anyone else have a solely vertical overarm swing? Wristpower seems to be the key for me, since my shouldermuscels ain't too good from sports injuries.

WWW Selin  
IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 12:32pm

The style you described at the bottom of your post as "a solely vertical overarm swing" is perhaps Apache style, as shown in L. W. Forsyth's article :

http://slinging.org/22.html

This style seems to be pretty popular, and is supposedly very good for accuracy, although suffering in power.  I am not very good with it, but I have only used it a few times, so I just lack practice.  (I prefer horizontal styles, as they are easier to not send the tennis balls that I use too high, which would cause me to lose them in the small area I have to practice in.)  Apache style seems to use mostly shoulder action though, so tell us if that is not it. For some other descriptions of slinging styles look here:

http://slinging.org/articles.html

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)