Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Terminal Experiments on TV Screens and Windshields (Read 3090 times)
Xenon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Terminal Experiments on TV Screens and Windshields
Jan 13th, 2007 at 2:13pm

Greetings to everyone.  
I have been reading the forum for about a year. Over time, some photographs that I would like to share have accumulated.

In my part of the world, people just love to dispose of debris into the environment. 85% of all household waste is deposited, not even burned. There is a lot of illegal deposition taking place. Recently, I even found some discarded whole television screens. Curiosity arises...

A version of AjlouniBoy's armor penetrating ammo was used that has been made simply by placing two nuts on top of each other on a heat resistant surface and filling the cavity with lead.

16 mm (5/8 in) nuts result in a weight of 105 g (~3.5 oz) which I like best. Made from 12 and 20 mm nuts, the respective weights are 50 and 200 g. The average density of this ammo is over 9.5 g/cm3.

Attached is a photo of some nice rectangular holes in a TV screen, with one of the hits embedded in the 3/4 in thick glass. This was done from 5 m distance with a 50 cm (19 in) sling. I was not satisfied with the penetration, so I moved to a longer sling which pierced the glass and cut a rectangular hole into the plastic covering the back side of the screen.

This ammo goes effortlessly through a windshield from the 50 cm sling. If anyone tells me whether and how it is possible to attach more than one picture in a post, I will post some documentation of this and some more TV pictures.

Xenon
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2007 at 3:37pm by Xenon »  

TV1_001.jpg (108 KB | )
TV1_001.jpg

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Terminal Experiments on TV Screens and Windshi
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 2:56pm

Xenon,
Great experimenting.
You can add pictures in the posts if you have them on internet somewhere, than you can add the url in the post and can add as many as you want. But as attachments you are restricted to the one a post.
But pleace remember to downsize them before posting. In this case I can only see a little of your picture at one time and it is a big file for those who phone in.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Xenon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 3:20pm

I am sorry, I had no idea the picture would be this large. Maybe this size will do better.

TV2.jpg (67 KB | )
TV2.jpg

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 3:57pm

Yes, this is much better.
Thanks.
And welcome to slinging.org.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 3:13am

Xenon wrote on Jan 13th, 2007 at 2:13pm:
Attached is a photo of some nice rectangular holes in a TV screen, with one of the hits embedded in the 3/4 in thick glass. This was done from 5 m distance with a 50 cm (19 in) sling. I was not satisfied with the penetration, so I moved to a longer sling which pierced the glass and cut a rectangular hole into the plastic covering the back side of the screen.

I heard the rumour that when you smash a TV screen it would implode because of the vacuum in it and that some shards might bounce of the backside and fly back to you. (If I remember correctly that was a warning not to throw a stone at the TV). Did anything like this happen in your case? Your holes seem to be quite small so I guess an implosion did not occur.

IP Logged

Xenon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 6:20am

The vacuum tubes in a TV will indeed implode when hit. However, the entire inside is not under vacuum. The tubes are smaller and thin-walled compared to the actual screen, thus their pieces have been completely contained within the TV in my case. The primary fragmentation caused by the impact with the screen is much more dangerous in my opinion because the kinetic energy of any shards is higher.

When using 150 g (~5 oz) river rocks on another TV, the stone corresponding to the hole in the upper right corner broke into small pieces and bounced off. Not much was found of the stone, some pieces have been placed on top of the device. The second shot went through front and back side (the larger hole).  A 80 cm sling has been used, at 15 m distance.

I wear protective goggles and a helmet during all experiments of this type, this is an obligatory safety measure. Perform at your own risk, with appropriate protection, or not at all.

I will try to edit a few windshield pictures into a single .jpg or two.

Xenon

TV3.jpg (100 KB | )
TV3.jpg

IP Logged

Xenon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 12:16pm

Here come the pictures I have promised.

A 50 cm (19 in) sling was used. The two pictures in the top row show two hits from 105 g lead core slugs. The second has penetrated the glass and ended up in the ground behind it, the first just bounced off. Only moderate power was needed for clean penetration.
The picture in the bottom is a close-up of a hole from a 200 g slug. These have awesome power even from short slings, as in being capable of puching holes into two windshields as long as these are parallel to each another.

The rest is pretty self-explanatory: a stuck 105 g slug and an entire decorated windshield.

Xenon

windshield1.JPG (121 KB | )
windshield1.JPG

IP Logged

AjlouniBoy
Descens

Sling smarter, not harder!

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 9:30pm

Nice hits!
I particularly like the "stuck landing" in the windshield.
You have given us great "Hard Hitting TV coverage."

AjlouniBoy

Like tying a stone in a sling is the giving of honor to a fool.&&Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 5:39pm

awesome pic's mind if I save them

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Xenon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 5:52am

Thank you for the positive feedback.

I have two years of slinging experience. My accuracy definitely needs much improvement, although it is getting better, especially towards the end of practice sessions. I used a backhand technique throughout all of these experiments, it is the technique I am most experienced with. At 7 m with a 50 cm, I missed the windshield once using 25 mm ammunition, at 15 m with a 80 cm, I needed 5 shots for two hits on the TV with stones.
A narrow grip and standardized ammo can produce impressive accuracy, at times.

I am close to having the full set of the "JHP" ammunition of AjlouniBoy and lobohunter (when the liquid lead solidifies, it contracts by about 2.4% and a small cavity forms on its surface).

Inner diameter of nut : height of two nuts : weight of ammo

8 mm - 12.5 mm - I feel tempted to make a slingshot - ~ 16 g

12 mm - 19.5 mm - 47 g
14 mm - 21 mm - 70 g
16 mm - 25 mm - 100 g - Little Boy
18 mm - 27.5 mm - 145 g
20 mm - 30 mm - 200 g - Big Boy
24 mm - 36.5 mm - 345 g

Interestingly, the 36.5 mm ammo is perfectly slingable for me, I tried it from 50 to 80 cm slings. Close to full power has to be used and velocity is somewhat reduced, but their accuracy is very good. Impacts on steel are louder than 30 mm hits. These really get the job done.

The picture shows a hit on a TV from a 36.5 mm round, a comparison of 36.5 mm and 30 mm hits, the back side of the first TV in the thread and a bed. I did not change the position of the bed after I found it, someone had thought this was the proper way of discarding it. I used stones from a 50 cm sling at 7 m distance and missed maybe ten times, mostly to the right when going for the last two hits in the line.

magnum_tv_001.JPG (136 KB | )
magnum_tv_001.JPG

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 6:02am

Xenon,
Which part of the world do you live?
I assume it is not the USA, but that is as near as I can guess right now.

Willeke

IP Logged

Xenon
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 8:05am

I live near Budapest, Hungary - I doubt you could find many TVs lying around in western Europe, at least I have never seen one. Neither of the TVs was farther away than 5 km from my house.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 8:28am

We have our share of bad behaved people too, but we also have a rubish collection system that is easier than dragging your waste out into the wild. For free if you do not too much waste. (I think one m3 each year free, that is on top of all that can go into the bin.)
That combined with pretty high fines when they can trace the waste back to you as well as little wild lands makes dumping tv's less of a problem.
But all places that look like there might not be a resident owner have a notice that dumping is not allowed. And since people spend money on those signs I think they must be needed.

Willeke

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)