Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Metal chain sling (Read 3492 times)
lololololol
Tiro

Metal chain sling
Jan 13th, 2007 at 1:29pm

Searched the forum and the wiki and surprisingly came up with nothing -
You guys ever seen/heardof/made a sling out of metal chains or with a metal pouch?

The reason I mention this is because of two added features:

- Ability to light your projectiles on fire without damaging the sling
- The weight and hardness of one makes it useful (as weaponry) as more than just a sling

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: Metal chain sling
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 1:44pm

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 2:22pm

I tried making a sling with a pouch out of chain mail, if you mean that. The only trick is to make it a wrist-loop instead of finger retention loop, because after you release the rock there is some weight from the pouch, and it is a suprise to your middle finger. Good luck

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 8:14pm

I quit playing with flexable metal weapons when I had the head of a live flail misdirect and come straight back at my head. Sad
Another problem with the chain ( I am assuming a light pet walking sort of chain here) is what you going to do about the loose end flying about at a realitively high velocity. I mean when ya accidently get smacked by a loose leather release knot it will definately sting a bit but a chain is going to seriously hurt.

Marc Adkins

lololololol wrote on Jan 13th, 2007 at 1:29pm:
Searched the forum and the wiki and surprisingly came up with nothing -
You guys ever seen/heardof/made a sling out of metal chains or with a metal pouch?

The reason I mention this is because of two added features:

- Ability to light your projectiles on fire without damaging the sling
- The weight and hardness of one makes it useful (as weaponry) as more than just a sling

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 10:25pm

I think weight of the metal would seriously decrease the power and range of the projectile. Huh

IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 11:11pm

Oh, I never thought about that for some reason! It would certainly discourage me from making a sling out of metal, since even the hard-burnt ends on a nylon sling "pop" me and kill my hands after releasing a rock... I'd hate to imagine a metal chain swinging about and having to worry about getting popped by it every shot.

winkleried wrote on Jan 13th, 2007 at 8:14pm:
I quit playing with flexable metal weapons when I had the head of a live flail misdirect and come straight back at my head. Sad
Another problem with the chain ( I am assuming a light pet walking sort of chain here) is what you going to do about the loose end flying about at a realitively high velocity. I mean when ya accidently get smacked by a loose leather release knot it will definately sting a bit but a chain is going to seriously hurt.

Marc Adkins

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 11:43am

[quote]I think weight of the metal would seriously decrease the power and range of the projectile[/quote]
Actually from a logical point of view it would be the opposite. normally the weight of the projectile gives the added impetus to get the sling pouch up to velocity. Logically a heavier pouch would mean that you could sling lighter projectiles and use the weight of the pouch to help get the velocity up, rahter than relying solely on the weight of the projectile.

It's why I reckon a weighted pouch would be good for slinging paintballs the balls themselves don't have the mass to pull the end of the sling tight enough to get up any kind of speed.

so a light chain and a heavy pouch should be excellent for slinging fairly light projectiles - say petrol soaked paper mache balls :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 5:45pm

but the release cord should be extremley light (not chain), and flexible, since the projectile has to unwrap it, after leaving the pouch.

so you get 3 materials in a single sling. anchor cord wich is light chain, pouch from chain maile, and light release cord.
problem: cords made from different materials tend to wrap around eachother, so there is no way you can rapid fire with it.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 5:48am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 14th, 2007 at 11:43am:
Quote:
I think weight of the metal would seriously decrease the power and range of the projectile

Actually from a logical point of view it would be the opposite. normally the weight of the projectile gives the added impetus to get the sling pouch up to velocity. Logically a heavier pouch would mean that you could sling lighter projectiles and use the weight of the pouch to help get the velocity up, rahter than relying solely on the weight of the projectile.

Acceleration = Force / Mass is the formula I know and it would mean that you are slower with a heavier pouch.

Of course that doesn't count the air drag. With the air drag it is best to have the same mass on a smaller volume. And that is the problem with most light weight projectiles. They are (comparing to their weight) so big that they lose their energy quickly during flight. It might be worth a try to see whether a heavy pouch will improve the situation before the release.

For testing a heavier pouch I would probably put a tiny bag between the retention cord and the pouch. You could fill that bag with lead and easily change its weight. With a chainmail that's hard to do. And I probably wouldn't make the pouch heavier than a normal pouch with a normal projectile (by "normal" I mean what you are used to). I wouldn't change the weight of the retention or release cord at all.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 7:22am

what you mean is I'm right :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 7:28am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1168712982/0#9 date=1168863751]what you mean is I'm right :-)[/quote]

I do not know. That depends on whether the inertia (slowing down with a heavier pouch) is stronger or weaker than the air drag (slowing down with a huge surface to mass ratio). You will have to try and find an optimal weight.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 12:25pm

The
sling I made with lead-cored line
behaves in much the same way as a lighter sling. Of course here we're talking about weighted cords as well as a a weighted pouch (mostly in the cords).

It does it make it much easier to throw "fluffy" objects. Even with a relatively dense/small glans, the cord drag becomes a big factor.

It feels very quick and controllable. Snappy. Long, light slings tend to lag the throwing mation a bit, which sometimes throws me off, and the cords are likely to get twisted. This one hangs there obediently, and "pulls back" against you hard enough to know where it is.

It doesn't (seem) to make any difference in range/power. The sling in this case probably adds 50-75% to the total mass of the system with my preferred size of rock.

It is significantly more dangerous to self than my other slings. ... The release cord comes around *fast*. My sling is designed to whip-crack, and it is tapered. A proper throw dumps most of the energy into the rock, and then the residual into the oncoiling cracking motion, and the sling falls mostly limp. It is when something goes wrong that you're likely to raise welts, and let's face it, there's no way to avoid something coming back at you that quickly.

I'd guess that with chain (evenly weighted) cords, you'd get a reflection off the tip that would make the release motion both violent and unpredictable. You can probably get the weighted effect much more safely by ony making the retention end out of chain? Of course it won't crack, but chain isn't the right material for this anyways.

Matthias

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 8:47pm

Tint wrote on Jan 13th, 2007 at 10:25pm:
I think weight of the metal would seriously decrease the power and range of the projectile. Huh

This is why we shall use Titanium Chainmail Smiley

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #13 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 8:18pm

I have made a sling from 1/16 air craft cable  slip pouch with 1/8 inch plastic tubing on each side of the pouch worked as well as any other split pouch sling

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)