Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Braided sling and length for starters (Read 2747 times)
lololololol
Tiro

Braided sling and length for starters
Jan 12th, 2007 at 6:48pm

http://www.slinging.org/20.html

Is the sling on this page 39" total or is that loop to pouch?  I'm guessing that's total.
I'm just starting, but I'm really good with braiding so I don't think I'll have a problem making one of these.  Is this a recommended length?  Seems like that's kinda short (19.5 inches loop to pouch? :/ ).  I've read a thread or two specifically about length, but what would you guys recommend for someone just starting?  I'd like to be able to throw many styles.. greek over/under, over, under.

IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Re: Braided sling and length for starters
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 9:20pm

The sling I like to use at the moment is about 59 inches from finger loop to where I hold it while slinging(the knot). I'd recommend a sling length such that, when you're holding it with a rock in the pouch and your arm at your side as far down as it can go, the pouch is just short of the ground. I prefer something like this length because it allows you to use your shoulder as the "main joint" instead of your elbow when casting underhanded(I've lost a couple pouches from this). But anyway, it really depends on your height, arm length, and whatnot. Or, then again, if you prefer body ratio comparisons, my sling reaches about from my fingertips to the inside of my armpit.

Also, I'd say that the length of the sling in the article is 39 inches.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 9:36pm

When we talk about sling length it usually is the folded length.  That means a 39 inch sling is 78 inches total from the loop to the end of the release cord.

Most of the time a shorter sling (24" or less folded) is easier to handle, so a beginer might want to try that.  But there are exceptions where some finds it more natural to sling with something longer too.

My shortest sling is 19" long and it is one of my favourite.  

It also depends on how tall you are.  A sling with a folded length from your finger tips to your heart would be medium length.  

Being good at braiding would be a real plus!  (I can't braid to save my life!  Actualy I did braid twice, made a huge mess for 3 weeks each time)  Trying different lengths with different throwing styles is great fun.  Once you are good you'll find that differents length would suit different styles and they all have their advantages and weaknesses.  In the ancient times good slingers carries 3 slings of different length and use them according to the situation.  

IP Logged

lololololol
Tiro

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 10:10pm

so.. is that sling in the pictures on http://www.slinging.org/20.html actually 39" and it just really doesn't look like it or is it just super short for demonstration purposes?

IP Logged

Klarh

The Ultimate Newbie

Jackson, Tennessee
Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 10:59pm

Ah, mmm, sorry...only just noticed how totally unhelpful my last comment was.

What I meant was that I thought it was 39 inches from the finger loop to the knot of the release cord, since the author uses 110 inches of string and folds it in half along the way.

[Edit]: I never fail to miss the stupid things I say until after I hit the post button. Sorry!

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 11:24pm

It's hard to tell how long the sling in the picture is without anything next to it for reference.  It doesn't look short to me Huh.  May be the pouch is a little wide, perharps it was made to throw bigger ammo i.e. tennis ball ?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 11:43pm

That sling is 39" (1m) loop to tail. It is a bit short by most of of our preference's for a multio purpose sling, but is certainly not too short. My first slings were in this neighbourhood, and you can still develop significant power at this length. The design is adaptable to any length you want, of course - I usually cut extra twine so that I can be sure to not run out, but 1.5 times the length that you are looking for should be pretty safe. Keep in mind that for designs that are folded you'll need extra - in this case 280 cm for 100cm of finished sling.

Short slings are great for the faster styles, but I can't work things like the fig-8 etc with them. By the same token the ultra-longs are mostly single-purpose slings as well. Search for a couple of Jurek's (Yurek) or Tint's videos for poetry in motion...

For a beginner, general purpose sling, I'd say to aim for 28-34 inches. Long enough to react "slowly" but short enough to clear the ground. In fact, just make sure it clears the ground and you'll be set (hanging straight down). The deliberate motions associated with longer slings are a good teaching tool, but the acrobatics needed to control something that can ground out might as well be avoided! Come to think of it, I'm a bit tall... my favourite slings currently are pretty close to my inseam...

Matthias

IP Logged

LESTAT CYRUS
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2007 at 12:39am

Cool[color=#ff0000][/color] THANK I'VE LEARN ALOT OFF THIS AND I HAVE 3 SLINGS ALREADY

IP Logged

lololololol
Tiro

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:29pm

Ok so I thought I would just start it this morning and finish it later on the plane tomorrow, but it was so easy/fun/and I got into it so much that I just finished it.  I know it took me under an hour, but I don't really know how much under.  Photos here:
http://ifakedit.com/photos/slinging

I made it out of mason line like the tutorial suggests; got it at Menards for $7 for an 800ft roll.  The white definitely isn't as pretty as the multi-colored one in the tutorial, but whatever =)

So anyway.. this is the first sling I've ever made or will ever use and it is about 24 inches/61 cm folded (48" end  to end).  It lands right at my ankle when im holding it at my side (I'm about 5'9" I think).

The pouch area is a little bigger than I want it to be I think (4in).  It would nicely fit a tennis ball more than a golf ball.  I haven't really tried any stones in it yet, but I think I'll have a bit of trouble finding ones big enough for this one around here.  I'm thinking about retrofitting a leather pouch onto it somehow, but again.. I haven't even tried slinging anything yet so I dunno.

Whatdayathink?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:59pm

looks real good! Smiley

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 4:07pm

ioda006,
I have found tape a very good pouch help, almost any tape will work.
Even the paper tape used to paint just the frame and not the window (masking tape?)

If you tape your string with an easily removed tape you can tape over it with a stronger one if wanted.
After you have taped your pouch you can sling much smaller ammo and still later change to leather if wanted.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

lololololol
Tiro

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 8:56pm

ah! tape. brilliant. why didn't i think of that.. so simple too.  i will try it and report back later.  gotta find some rocks and a place to toss them =)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man)